Mxiao

BDSM getting started, a dummies guide

Hello there, I´m new at SL and when i say new i mean it literally, i just downloaded the game.

--------[Some context, skip it if you dont care why im asking]---------

The reason i got interested in SL on the first place was because of some images i dont even remember how i came across, like this:
http://www.secondcitizen.net/Forum/showthread.php?t=20606&styleid=6

See, i have some... kinky tastes, and the second i saw that it caught my attention, so i started to investigate on my own and found some pretty interesting things such as this:

The pics alone were enough to caught my attention, but what really convinced me was that text there, i mean, there is even slave auctions and such? This one wants...

Im into BDSM, so im sure you can see now why i downloaded this game after seeing that -I had never really paid much attention to SL until now- and i would like to try SL on a Sub style, being collared and being someone´s property? Sign me in! 

------- [End of context] ------

Now, of course everything has rules and such, and as a new player im not very familiar with the way it goes around SL on this aspect, so i was hoping someone could provide me with some tips as to geting started, or even be a friendly guide! so, any advice would be very apreciated. 

The second thing i wanted to ask was about all the BDSM items, scripts and all of that stuff, thats because while i was investigating i found tutorials about animation and other topics, but i still dont know how it works, like, you need A in order for B to work or something? -One example would be some sims mods, where you need a framework for other animation mods to work- and are there some basic things that i would need to get or activate in order for everything else to work or each thing works individually?

Ive searched for something like a general guide or anything like that but the only remotely thing i found was another "getting started" post, but that was too long and a little... to enthusiastic i think, it wasnt really much help, so im hoping that a fresh new post could make things clear for me and anyone else who might have a similar question in the future. 

By the way, people do still play this right? or have i stumbled upon the remains of a lost civilization? 

Edited by Corky Linden

I wouldn't know where to suggest you start but just wanted to say welcome to second life.  You are literally jumping in fast.  Take your time. BDSM is all about trust.  Spend some time inworld.  Explore using search and you will find plenty of BDSM places.  Learn to walk before you jump or I guarantee your experience will not be fun.  There are many wannabe Doms around so I suggest starting by talking to subs or slaves first.  Maybe someone else will be along to give more advice

• Like 2

First rule: Don't call it 'game', and don't say 'play', people will get upset.

And to answer your last question first - yes, SL is very much alive, as long as you know where to find people. It's usually not too difficult.

As for a 'general guide', I'm afraid it might be difficult to give one, as any sexual interactions between two or more people is... Well, individual. Some people write long paragraphs of text, detailing their interactions very carefully. Others hop on a pose ball and moan obscenely and call it a day.

To access any BDSM items on the market, or sims (zones) with a BDSM theme, you need to age-verify your account, as it falls under Adult Content.

Once you've done that, it's up to you to find what you seek, really. There are plenty of clubs and communities with everything from rape and capture scenes to more socially oriented types of establishments. It depends on how picky you are about who you do what with, really. 

As for scripted items, you'll want to activate RLV, which requires an RLV-compatible viewer - Firestorm is the most popular by far, and for good reason I'd say.

Now, as I said, it's all up to you to do what you want with it, but I would suggest visiting an orientation sim to start with, to learn the basics of movement, item interaction and dressing your avatar. Putting some effort into styling your avatar to your liking and turning yourself from a 'newbie' to an individual individual may be a good thing to do once you've got your footing. 

I'm of a mind with Cindy though, there's a difference between BDSM and just doing crazy-kinky-naughty to everyone and everything that moves, or would move if it weren't in chains, ropes or cages. 

• Like 4

Sex and BDSM in Second Life consist of two or more avatars sitting on something which runs animations on the avatars. That's the technology. There are furniture items available which support sex, BDSM, etc. Areas for sex play usually have some such furniture for public use.

The avatars never quite align properly. The animation system has no info about the limb lengths for each avatar, and doesn't do avatar-avatar collisions.

It's kind of fun for a few weeks. Then it's boring.

Hi, Mxiao!
Welcome to the virtual world of Second Life.

First, don't get upset when this topic gets moved to the adult section.  It really belongs down there and I am sure it will get moved sooner or later.

When you say getting started, do you mean started in SL or started in general?  Do you have any other experience either in real life, chat forums or any other thing at all?

For now I'll assume you have no other experience.
BDSM: What is it?  Bondage/Discipline/Domination/Submission/Sadism/Masochism ... and that sort of a start.  Anything from humiliation to cosplay can be shoved under the BDSM umbrella as well. It is not all about sex but there is a lot of that too.

Required equipment to get started:  Nothing.  Seriously.  Don't invest in stuff you nay never use.  As a submissive, you will be told if something is required.  You might see about getting a collar just to mark your position as a submissive but even that is not required.  Instead, take a little time to get to know SL and put together an avatar to your liking.  The best thing you can do right now is fill in your profile.

How to get started. As with any other common interests, there are groups out there you can join.  Search for groups and also places that offer what you are looking for.  I have no idea what your gender is or what you are wanting to find, but I am sure you will find something.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Mxiao said:

Hello there, I´m new at SL and when i say new i mean it literally, i just downloaded the game.

Welcome to SL. This is more a communication platform like Facebook or Twitter than a game. It's just that we show ourselves as avatars and roleplay a lot. The owners, Linden Lab (or the Lab) are also less creepy than facebook. Best not to call it a game. :D People will want to tie you up and change your mind.

7 hours ago, Mxiao said:

Some context, skip it if you dont care why im asking

Oh, us forumites, are always very interested and also pretty friendly, and you seem like a nice person :)

7 hours ago, Mxiao said:

By the way, people do still play this right? or have i stumbled upon the remains of a lost civilization? 

Heh yes, there can be up to 55,000 people online at any time each day, although 20-25% of those I guess are bots.

7 hours ago, Mxiao said:

The pics alone were enough to caught my attention, but what really convinced me was that text there, i mean, there is even slave auctions and such? This one wants...

Personally I've never bought a slave at auction, although a few times when mine have been really naughty I will playfully threaten to sell them. I wouldn't though, I adore them too much. But yes, there are auctions around. 

But please read this carefully: Personally I'd advise against you rushing into that sort of thing to start, you really need to find your feet, and you need to learn quite a bit. Jumping headfirst into the chains of the first Dom(me) you stumble over will only get you hurt. And that hurt can be strong and right to the heart.

First step will be to learn to move, talk, teleport, shop, find freebies, and find groups of other submissives, make some friends.

Take it slow, once you have your bearings then you can start looking for a Dom(me) who won't ruin your fun

Edited by Callum Meriman
  • Like 2

SL is not adult friend finder. Nor is it a game, it is a virtual world. A game would imply that there is an objective, or to meet a goal pre-determined by a third party. Now, there are games within the virtual world of Second Life, from HUD games such as bloodlines, bare to skill games and all the sitting around a table kinda games. 
Engaging with avatars that are controlled by real human beings behind each and every one with feelings and emotions, that which can not tell the difference between the virtual and reality are not games. Only our minds can tell the difference between the virtual and reality, so it is best to keep in one's mind that SL is a virtual world where feelings matter - games do not. 

Even Roleplay, whether that is ERP or character based/story line based RP, those characters will have feelings and emotions as well, some will have traits from the person behind that avatar, either their alter-ego or aspects of themselves to enrich that character. As that character develops and grows, so does the person behind that character.
No matter what each of us does in SL, nothing changes the fact that we are all human beings with physical bodies behind every untouchable distant monitor. 

• Like 3