Scripting an object that recognizes "Resident" last name via detect avatar key

Mischa Tchailenov

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4826 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I'm working on an item that will send messages back and forth from one avatar to the other. It works fine while using avatars with "two names" ie Mischa Tchailenov but for an avatar with "one name" ie Sheronda I get this message upon touching the object TEST V2.0 - FP: Invalid Key passed to instant message. This only happens when the "owner"- Mischa touches the object and a message should be sent to -Sheronda-, I've included the last name "Resident" but still get this error message. I hope this makes sense as I'm not a seasoned scripter, rather just someone learning by reading and fudging around with things. :) Any help would be greatly appreciated in this. Please and Thank You

**About the IE9 - Now you see why I need help scripting, can't even figure out the IE9 Compatability :) ** Yes I had much to say. Here is the portion of the script that is used to enter the name.

if (inputName = "partner")
        {
            inputName = "";
            partnerSet = TRUE;
            partnerName = message;

req = llHTTPRequest( URL + "?terse=1&name=" + llEscapeURL(partnerName), [], "" );

llOwnerSay("Welcome to your partner "+ message);
            llListenRemove(listener);
            return;
        }
    }
    http_response(key id, integer status, list meta, string body)
    {
      //  llOwnerSay(partnerName + "'s UUID is " + body );
            partnerKey = (key)body;

okey = partnerKey;
        //    llOwnerSay("http key: " + (string)okey);
    }

I hope this is what you all were talking about. Thank you for the help as well. My scripting "lingo" is probably a tad off and I apologize, I'm still learning.

Um.... llInstantMessage takes a UUID, not a name, so it shouldn't care what the person's name is.  I suspect the problem is elsewhere, and that the "Resident" thing is a red herring.  Can you post the script so we can take a look at it?

Mischa Tchailenov wrote:

I'm working on an item that will send messages back and forth from one avatar to the other. It works fine while using avatars with "two names" ie Mischa Tchailenov but for an avatar with "one name" ie Sheronda I get this message upon touching the object TEST V2.0 - FP: Invalid Key passed to instant message. This only happens when the "owner"- Mischa touches the object and a message should be sent to -Sheronda-, I've included the last name "Resident" but still get this error message. I hope this makes sense as I'm not a seasoned scripter, rather just someone learning by reading and fudging around with things.
:)
Any help would be greatly appreciated in this. Please and Thank You

Hi, Is the name really -Sheronda- with the hyphens? The display names will not work very well for many script applications. You will need to use her username, or her legacy name (llKey2Name, llDetectedName or llRequestAgentData will give you the "Resident" name with the correct capitalization, they can contain uppercase letters.)

Ohhhhh, so are you using an outside name2key service like the one at w-hat.com? The trouble could be very simple then, that the avatar is not in their database. It has many active avatars, but it is missing many more inactive and very new ones.

I just checked at http://w-hat.com/name2key?name=Sheronda+Resident and that name is missing from w-hat. It does like the "Resident" name appended, for example http://w-hat.com/name2key?name=Cerise+Resident works OK. I am guessing that w-hat is the service from the "?terse=1" in your query.

You can try using several.  Take a look HERE, for example. Don't be surprised, though, if you simply can't find some people.  Newbies are most likely to be among the missing, because it takes a while for them to interact with enough in-world systems that build the Name2Key databases. 

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4826 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.