Warning from a moderator

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2198 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

A friend in SL was awarded 1 point(?) which will never expire (?) and has been banned for more than a day for trying to sell her avatar inworld because she is tired of playing and 

does not want to simply lose all her bought items.  She asked me in real world messaging to log in and ask why this is forbidden.  You can't transfer owndrship of your avatar

to another real life person?  Why not?  Just asking.  Please don't ban me for asking.

4 minutes ago, Vakeel Volitant said:

You can't transfer owndrship of your avatar

to another real life person?  Why not? 

As I stated in your friends topic:

Transferring an account

Pursuant to Section 4.1 of the Terms of Service:

You may not sell, transfer or assign your Account or its contractual rights, licenses and obligations, to any third party (including, for the avoidance of doubt, permitting another individual to access your Account) without the prior written consent of Linden Lab.
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 2

2 minutes ago, Vakeel Volitant said:

does LL ever give permission for this?

They certainly won't give anyone permission to SELL their avatar like your friend is trying to do. That's exactly what got them the temp ban.

Edited by Syn Anatine

5 minutes ago, Vakeel Volitant said:

seems highly unfair, but rules is rules,,,

Nothing at all is unfair here. The rules/TOS are clearly stated before you sign up. You agreed to them upon joining and you agreed to any changes manually each time there was an addition/change to the TOS. If you don't follow them you'll get punished. That's fair.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

52 minutes ago, Syn Anatine said:

Nothing at all is unfair here. The rules/TOS are clearly stated before you sign up. You agreed to them upon joining and you agreed to any changes manually each time there was an addition/change to the TOS. If you don't follow them you'll get punished. That's fair.

As I used to tell my students, “unfair“ does not mean “I don’t like it“. 

Edited by Pamela Galli
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Vakeel Volitant said:

You can't transfer owndrship of your avatar

to another real life person?  Why not?  Just asking.  Please don't ban me for asking.

I suspect one reason LL won't allow this is that it would potentially create all sorts of intellectual property issues, since a non-transferable licence to use no-transfer items in a resident's inventory has been granted by the item's creator, who holds the IP.   LL can't be a party to allowing people to breach that licence.

I don't know but that's my take on it -- it could cause LL no end of potential legal headaches, so they do their best to prohibit such transfers.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Magnek Fang said:

Just curious, has anyone tried to bequeath thier account in thier will?

Tried to? How can you try to bequeath something in your will? You either put it in the will or you don't.

I put my account in my will, but that was back when the account was worth a lot of  money. The account is worthless now, but it's still in my will because I haven't got round to removing it.

Anyone who's account makes decent money, and would continue making the money regardless of who was behind the account, ought to put it in their will, perhaps with some detailed written instructions on how to continue it.

Edited by Phil Deakins
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Pamela Galli said:

My own kids knew they better not use the word “unfair” in my presence unless they wanted to hear my lecture on the subject. Which they did not.

My youngest has started to stop saying "Its not Fair!!" around me as i tell her "Life isn't fair" and call her Sarah in my best Ludo impersonation. 

• Thanks 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2198 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.