You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2130 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I own a TMP Avatar and it says that it has 2 tattoo layers and 2 clothing layers, yet when i use an applier i can only use 1 layer out of 4!!!!!

think i'm going to go mad trying to figure it out... lol  everytime i try to wear another item applied, Iturn white or black with splotchy patches of the clothing textures. This is a little disappointing that something as SIMPLE as wearing clothes should be so difficult. So i can wear a one texture top and bottom with no panties.. lol. or any combintion thst requires 3 items and no tattoos or anything. Thoroughly disappointed and frustrated. What are the creators thinking? like a car without wheels. Please help me sorry to be a bother. Thank you.

Your experience and frustration are not unique. The TMP tattoo and clothing layers have been glitchy from the moment they were released and an update to fix this issue has never been released.

One of the  problems is that most, if not all, tattoo and clothing textures are "alpha" textures, which means they are partially transparent.  Alpha textures can be displayed in one of two modes, either "Blend" mode or "Mask" mode. If you try to layer two different alpha textures, that are both in Blend mode, on top of each other you often get severe glitching and flickering. One solution is to put one of those two alpha textures into Mask mode. This prevents the flickering. THE PROBLEM is that MOST alpha textures look terrible in Mask mode. The TMP body seems to automatically put one of the layers into Mask mode when you apply a second item. That is why they "turn white or black with splotchy patches."

I have owned the TMP deluxe male body for a few years now, but quickly realized the double tattoo layers just DID NOT WORK and gave up on them. I simply stuck to one tattoo at a time and made sure to clear both layers first with the "remove style" button, before trying out a new tattoo. That way the textures stay in Blend mode.

I don't think I ever bothered with "clothing" layers as I prefer mesh clothes over texture clothes, but I suspect they work the same way.

I have since moved on to the Belleza Jake male mesh body and a Catwa bento mesh head. It has been a vastly better experience.

I assume by your name you are making a female avatar. In which case, I recommend you look into the Maitreya Lara female mesh body. It has the best 3rd Party support. If you are new to SL, look into LeLutka female bento mesh heads. The LeLutka HUD is much easier to use for those new to SL and look great.

With all this said, TMP is not "bad" product. I got a lot of use out of mine and made a lot of really good looking avatars with it. I still use it on occasion, the body and heads are well modeled and have great geometry. They are, however, limited and flawed. I hope you bought yours recently, after the price drop to 500 L. If that is case, be glad you did not buy them when they were 5k! 

Edited by Orion Pastorelli

• 2 months later...

I have the same problem.. I got a male tmp deluxe body and I think the combination of a letis tattoo and a demo tattoo caused this problem. Now all I see flashing flickers on my tattoo. Is there any way to start from scratch and reset my style HUD? I unstyled everything and even redelivered a new tmp body but when I put on my style HUD -  it seems to still have both the tattoo and demo options. So when I apply the normal skin, it's fine but the moment I put on my tattoo on, even when I don't add anything else, it still flickers/flashes.  I'm not sure it is on double layers like you mention but I don't think so as I am only applying it on the one layer.  Any other suggestions?  I know I should get a new body but really want to see if I can make it work.  No reply from tmp yet....

Hi TMP and Letis both got back to me quickly - both were very helpful but a few things worked and didn't work.  Letis suggested that it only will flicker at higher altitudes related to TMP glitch - I tried it and they are right - it only flickers above 1000ft.  Under it, it works fine.  Troubleshooting option and trying to fiddle with layers on TMP alpha HUD didn't work, regardless of altitudes.  So..until I get another body, I will only wear the tattoo under 1000 ft but both TMP and letis were actually very responsive and quick to help :)

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2130 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.