Is this possible?

Locikittie

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2194 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

So I would like to start a business. However one of the things I want to do with this business is to have an entree fee for the building. Is it possible to set something up to where whoever tries to enter the building is given a prompt that reads "Due to nature of this company a $xxxx fee is required" then an option comes up that allows the person to pay said fee which would deposit to my account and allow the person access? This may be a stupid question but I'm new to Second Life.

You could set up a parcel right outside the door of the building where "Anyone can visit", then set the building on a parcel where "Sell passes to Anyone" is enabled. These option can be found in the "About Land" window under the "Access" tab.

As far as the prompt go, I've never done land passes so I am not sure if they will get a prompt or not, but you could always set up a greeting prim for that. 

More info on land passes can be found here > http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Land_Windows

• Like 2

Also, If you want the L's to go directly into your account instantly then the land must be owned by you and not deeded to a group.

If the land is deeded to a group & you are the owner of the group, then you will get the L's the next day. Just make sure "Pay group liabilities and receive group dividends" in the Group Profile > Roles is DISABLED in every role except the Owner role. This will ensure the funds will not get split among the group members and the owner(s) of the group will get 100% of the L's. If there are multiple owners in the group then the L's will be split among the owners. 

I see that you just joined today, Just make sure you do all your research before you try to jump into a virtual business. I highly recommend exploring the grid, familiarize yourself with the viewer options and controls, and meet people before trying to start a business. 

GOOD LUCK and HAVE FUN!

Edited by Lisa006 Baxton

This HAS been done in the past through scripting so the script folks could tell you more. However, since it seems to have disappeared (or at least I haven't seen anything like an entrance fee in many years) I would guess that it didn't work out so well. 

The closest thing would be the Mad Pea games, so you might want to check those out.  

Your idea would apparently be more applicable to Sansar who has or will have (not there) that ability to change. 

Edited by Chic Aeon

Looking at the Buy Pass it seems that will work, however is it possible to have  employees of the company enter the land free? Or do I have to purchase it as a group property first? If that's the case can I add people to the ownership of the property?

You'll likely need to test this yourself to be sure. I think you should be able to add individuals explicitly to the "allow without restrictions" list, and also the check box that allows group members to enter without restrictions should override the need for them to pay for access like everybody else, but I'm not sure if that's only for group-owned land or if it will also work for land merely set to a group.

There's probably reports of this working one way or another in the ancient forums archives (or maybe the jira, even), but I should probably warn you: this has never been a very popular setting -- it's not a crazy idea at all, so I don't know why it's been so unsuccessful, but I've never really seen anywhere that it's caught on. Good luck with it, though!

Edited by Qie Niangao

Since you're new ...  If your business doesn't involve something that requires being in the building, such as an activity, then people won't pay for a pass anyway. They can look at everything inside the building from outside of it. People don't need to be inside a store to buy things either; I'm usually at least 50 meters away from a store when I'm purchasing things there.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Parhelion Palou said:

Since you're new ...  If your business doesn't involve something that requires being in the building, such as an activity, then people won't pay for a pass anyway. They can look at everything inside the building from outside of it. People don't need to be inside a store to buy things either; I'm usually at least 50 meters away from a store when I'm purchasing things there.

We do not even need to be allowed inside that parcel, I successfully "Last minute" shopped at more than one event.

• Like 2

If it's an entry fee for each time a person enters then Sell Pass to anyone is the answer. However, if they crash, logout, or leave then they have to pay again.

If you want to sell a one-time fee then a paid group would be the way to go. These are the two best options you have, I wouldn't bother looking for, then relying on any scripted solution and those can often be circumvented as well.

Oh, just thought of another possible consideration about that "Sell Passes" setting: It apparently only works at ground level. Per the Limits page on the wiki:

• Maximum ban line height for "no entry" or "pay to access" (in other words, "allow public access" is turned off, or "allow group access" is turned on, in the parcel options) is the parcel's ground elevation plus 50 meters. If a user is explicitly banned by name, the height is the parcel's ground elevation plus 5000 meters. On current viewers this is visible to the full extent.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2194 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.