Sign in to follow this  
animats

Firestorm w/AlexIvy (5.1.3.55048) looking good on Linux

I've just spent an hour running NickeyD's branch of Firestorm on Linux. This is based on the LL AlexIvy version.  It's looking good. Went to  Tralala's Diner, a Japanese street market with high detail and good LOD textures. The new texture cache handling seems better than the old. The street market looks good, LOD transitions are working well,. and nothing broke. I tried some fast motorcycle runs around Circuit de Corse, sometimes outrunning the texture loading, and that worked fine. Very nice. Nothing broke anywhere.

This seems to fix https://jira.phoenixviewer.com/browse/FIRE-22342 segfaults related to using OpenJPEG instead of the non-free version.  (Not OpenJPEG's fault; a problem in error handling.) That's been the show-stopper on self-compiling Firestorm for some time.

Once that branch gets merged back into Firestorm main, which is at 5.1.4.55097, we should have straightforward 64-bit Linux builds again.  Waiting for this has been holding me back on working on velocity extrapolation at region crossings, which still needs improvement.

Congratulations to everyone involved.

Edited by animats
Add link
  • Like 4
  • Haha 1