Couple days in - already banned

JaJanna

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2170 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

A few days ago I started Second Life.
Just now I teleported to a new location, a fantasy world, it threw me out giving two messages.

The first:
Sorry, but you must be at least 7 days old to be here. Your account is being banned until it is old enough, at which point it will be allowed inside. If you have any questions, contact an administrator.

The second:
You have been banned for 1440 minutes
[12:01] You have been ejected from this land.

Now I am in some clouds and cannot teleport anywhere.
Seems this ban is not for that island but for playing Second Life at all on this account???
Can it really be this  is the way a noob is treated here? I don't even know how to contact an administrator...
Getting banned for trying out a publicly advertised location, where there is no saying I need to have been on SL for at least a week... No even stronger: it is advertised to ppl that are not a part of SL yet...

Can someone help me out? I mean, make me understand?
For now I see as only option to make another account if I want to go on exploring tonight... but this way I might get banned again real soon...

Edited by JaJanna

Indeed, someone else might have the same problems 5 years in the future , and believe it or not they will dig up the post and expect replies... or tehy wil dig up the plot for reasons no one of us ever will understand... that happens too

About the friend list - I try to keep mine to zero. I love people and have inworld friends (some of whom I see quite often) and I end up talking to someone I don't know nearly every time I log in, but I cannot deal with a bunch of people knowing when I log in. I don't want anyone, even people I like, keeping tabs on me.

It does happen in a moment of weakness, that I will let someone on that list, but usually after a day or two I turn off their ability to see when I'm online, and then later I delete them.

I'd rather run into people the way you do in RL. At the dance club, it's the dance-club people. At the whatever-it-is sim, it's the whatever-it-is people.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, kershe said:

Also, regarding the OP - didn't anyone suggest logging into home? Or is that just a Firestorm feature?

Actually, logging in to Home is the default log in method for all of the viewers and in all of them you can override that to be your last location or any specific sim.

• Thanks 1

On 14/04/2018 at 3:16 PM, JaJanna said:

The first:
Sorry, but you must be at least 7 days old to be here. Your account is being banned until it is old enough, at which point it will be allowed inside. If you have any questions, contact an administrator.

I'm sorry this was your first experience in SL, Newbie accounts are indistinguishable from throwaway griefer accounts and many places take a "once bitten twice shy" approach, preemptively assuming anyone on a new account must be up to no good. It's a little sad really.

I have to wonder how many others suffer a similar fate and decide that SL is hostile and not worth bothering with.

SL does have a rich and well established culture and the initial learning curve can be like a brick to the face (not including learning how to handle your avatar or how inventory works!). I'd be very interested in anything that could be presented to new users in the client to counter initial culture shock.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, CoffeeDujour said:

I'd be very interested in anything that could be presented to new users in the client to counter initial culture shock.

Me too. Culture is not easy to package and offer as an easily digestible set of rules, whether you are in SL or RL.  There's just too much local variation and personal idiosyncracy in both worlds.  I can travel 25 miles to the next town in RL and find that people there do things a different way than in my own small town. They understand the local wisdom about who it's safe to turn to for advice and where to avoid at all costs.  If I travel to another state or country, I can bet that their culture will be truly different.  The burden is always on me, the outsider, to figure out what to do.  Until then, I have to tread carefully and expect to bump my nose into a lot of walls.  I hope that I will find guidebooks and friendly locals who will take the time to help when I am lost or confused, but I can't expect them to anticipate all of the ways that I might go wrong.

Linden Lab offers Learning Island and Social Island, these forums, and the Knowledge Base, all of which keep evolving as SL culture evolves and as they think of more ways to help residents.  This is a complicated world, though, and canned syllabi can only do so much.  Information overload is a real challenge.  I think the best we can hope is that LL can create enough resources and make them easy enough to find that we can get help when we look for it.

• Like 1

Lindal Kidd

• Can Be Bribed With Chocolate
  •  
  • Lindal Kidd
  • Advisor
  • 10,528 po
  • sts
On 18-4-2018 at 4:07 AM, JaJanna said:

Topic closed! Tnx all!   :)

It's not over until we say it's over!

over.jpg.d71c5d6ecbdeb373ab4150e92b4c154f.jpg

Woooooooooooooooooot ?

No fair!

LittleMe Jewell

• Innocent (sort of) ♥
  •  
  • LittleMe Jewell
  • Resident
  • 5,901 posts
On 18-4-2018 at 4:07 AM, JaJanna said:

Topic closed! Tnx all!  

You'll also discover that forum threads often have a life of their own.  The only ones that can truly stop a thread are the moderators and they'll only do so if things start violating the Community Standards.

See my daughter betted me you wouldnt let me have the last word on my own thread, she won.
I feel sort of at home here, ty.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

On 18-4-2018 at 6:22 PM, kershe said:

Also, regarding the OP - didn't anyone suggest logging into home? Or is that just a Firestorm feature?

My home back then - when I started this neverending thread - was social island, set-up by system I think, place to get hooked up by abusers.
By now I am very OK with my position in SL. My home's OK too now.

But... the origial point of the thread was I got account banned for noob-teleporting (just clicking world-map and double click an area) anywhere. Not area banned. Without warning.
Happily it turned out to be 30 minutes instead of the 1440 promised minutes.

Edited by JaJanna
  • Thanks 1

On 18-4-2018 at 6:50 PM, CoffeeDujour said:

I'm sorry this was your first experience in SL, Newbie accounts are indistinguishable from throwaway griefer accounts and many places take a "once bitten twice shy" approach, preemptively assuming anyone on a new account must be up to no good. It's a little sad really.

I have to wonder how many others suffer a similar fate and decide that SL is hostile and not worth bothering with.

SL does have a rich and well established culture and the initial learning curve can be like a brick to the face (not including learning how to handle your avatar or how inventory works!). I'd be very interested in anything that could be presented to new users in the client to counter initial culture shock.

It is about some things I never imagined it to be. True.
And concern about newbies could benefit the cause.
Don't worrie bout me though there  are still places-to-be(-safe) ingame I found them, some other newbies did as well.
No discovery is done without effort.

A ''force-info'' push before operating a tele to a non-requirement-met-area would be a nice service though  ;-)

Edited by JaJanna

Nah.  I'd rather just teleport in, get booted, and then fume a while.  Good cardio.

Regarding threads that run on long after the OP has declared the topic closed:  I direct your attention to this thread in the general forums.  It's been running, through at least two complete revisions of forum software, for over...I think it's nine YEARS now.

https://community.secondlife.com/forums/topic/402851-just-ignore-and-let-this-one-die/

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

18 hours ago, JaJanna said:

A ''force-info'' push before operating a tele to a non-requirement-met-area would be a nice service though  ;-)

Yeah.  A nice dream.  It would mean somehow knowing beforehand which one of the thousands of destinations you might choose has a local PIOF or age limit.  These requirements are not advertised anywhere outside of the parcel where they are set, though, so there's no way for the system to know that you're about to step into a pothole until you get there and find out for yourself.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Lindal Kidd said:

I direct your attention to this thread in the general forums.  It's been running, through at least two complete revisions of forum software, for over...I think it's nine YEARS now.

https://community.secondlife.com/forums/topic/402851-just-ignore-and-let-this-one-die/

I will do that later me head spinning.

Edited by JaJanna
woul;dnt be able to stand witness someone begging to close thread for 9 years rn

17 minutes ago, JaJanna said:

Right. Realism.

Btw can I ask a noob question? I like to add tag ''newcomer'' to this thread. Can't find the buttons to do it.

You can't now.  You can only edit a post for 24 hours after creation and that includes the thread title and tagging.

• Thanks 1

They have trust issues trust me it all cause of  ... idk yet.

-------
23-4 18:30

12 hours ago, CoffeeDujour said:

That's something we have to try and counter. New doesn't mean griefer or alt with a nefarious purpose.

Well maybe it is a gap and not definitely a problem.

For me everything is new.
It is nice to share that with people that see it as new as well.
You and me are on the same world like in another dimension.

Edited by JaJanna
I do not need this thread alive forever.

Just now, JaJanna said:

They ahve trust issues trust me it all cause of  ... idk yet.

No, it's not you, you would not believe how often I head to hear "Your avi is really onyl x weeks/month old, and this is your first?"...

On 4/18/2018 at 11:50 AM, CoffeeDujour said:

I'd be very interested in anything that could be presented to new users in the client to counter initial culture shock.

If you find an easy way, export it to RL. That's where we really need it.  The culture shock you get from logging in to SL and traveling around is a very mild version of what you experience if you travel in RL. No matter how many guide books and YouTube videos you watch before vacationing abroad, you're never prepared for being there.  You have to bump your nose into unexpected cultural walls yourself before you learn how to adjust your brain to accept them.   Even with lots of help from the natives, the burden of learning is always on your shoulders, not theirs. 9_9

• Like 3

On 4/22/2018 at 6:00 PM, JaJanna said:

All old players do is distrust me, they thay all think i am an alt.

On 4/22/2018 at 6:03 PM, JaJanna said:

:S

Especially old male chars semm to have the mpressions of being screwed...

This is so... It is with good reason and it works in both gender directions.

Meeting a new avatar and starting a discussion is a challenge. Trust is earned. It doesn't take long to learn in SL what we hopefully know iRL, proceed carefully in who you trust, otherwise you can be hurt financially, mentally, and/or emotionally. 

SL has its share of neither altruistic nor maliciously deceptive people. But, it also has a share that are.

Those experimenting with various gender, race, social, and sexual variations with legitimate curiosity are probably a majority. There are also those that engage in the exact same behaviors that are trying to earn/scam money without being particularly malicious. But, there are those that are maladjusted and mentally warped that deliberately and with forethought intend to harm and/or abuse people. It is their goal and agenda.

We have no way to know which person is in which category in an initial meeting. Only over time can we see how they reveal their personality. 

As a new person in SL you are noticing the difference in how we evaluate people in first-meetings within SL. iRL we have body language and other subtle hints about the hidden personality, language, eye focus, sense of respect or lack of... We have almost none of those in SL. 

During your first thirty days you will run into people's self protective behaviors that inconvenience you. But, it is likely you will adopt similar behaviors over time. Fortunately, after 30 days and with the addition of Payment Info you see less of it.

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2170 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.