Centerfold

Convert third party mesh UV map to SL default?

Question

Hey all, I recently purchased a mesh head model from a website to work with as a base, for second life creations,  & I was wondering what is the best way to go about converting the UV map it came with to match that of the default SL, so it can work with omega appliers and such, I have tried marking seams as closely as possible on the new mesh to correspond with where the seams are on the default head, which got a close result at one point, but I never saved that file & haven't had any luck ever since, i'm just wondering if there is a better way that I am unaware of?Here is a pic of both the head and the default SL head uv maps:

f61515e54c88dcfa5efb651391e9e3f4.png05ef43fad3f1e2ac31b0c7fbbdc759da.png

2 answers to this question

You have two and only two options...

1. Learn to UV map by hand, and do it your self.

2. Download a head that's already uv mapped to the SL Template, such as, for example, the SL system avatatrs, in wavefront .obj file format from the SL wiki...

There is no magic tool that will convert the uv's on a 3rd party mesh for you with a button click, anywhere.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I suggest you make a texture on the SL UVMap that highlights the seams. I would make it so I could see red lines on the SL head at the seams. Then duplicate the seams as closely as possible on your head. Unwrap your head.

Now use an image of the SL head's UV map as the UV texture for your head. You should see the unwrap from you head and the picture of the SL head UV in the UV editor. Manually edit/move the UV points to fit the picture.

It will be tedious. But, you should get something useable.