New to this avatar thing, need sugestions!

vaporgex

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2197 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hi there!

I just started playing SL a couple of days ago and have been enjoying it so far. However I've been a bit overwhelmed by all the options available for avatars. I'm trying to make my avatar look as close as possible to this character I made in The Sims 4, but I'm having trouble getting the face and skin right. I'm currently using one of the classic avatars given to you at the start and I modified it as much as I could but I can't quite make it look the way I want. I can't get the eyes to look right. It doesn't have to look EXACTLY as what I want, but at least be closer to what I currently have.

I'm new to all this and am just learning about all the mesh skin options in the market place and I'm thinking one of those would work better in making my avatar look closer to my goal. But I don't know where to start. I want to make sure I get a mesh that can still work with the clothes I bought and such too.

Could someone point me to anything that may help me get my avatar looking like the pic I attached? Any explanations on meshes and such will be great too. Any help will be appreciated! Thank you!

codycitywall1.jpg

• Like 2

Like Fionalein suggested, if you want to start with mesh body components right away, the Meshbodyaddicts blog is a very handy resource for a good overview.

For skin options, I strongly suggest going to "7 Deadly Skins", join that group and/or pick up the daily deals and other special offers. Those skintones come very close to your pictured one. You might get lucky and find a suitable set with a system skin and all needed appliers among the offers, that's certainly do-able.

For hair, I think that Taketomi / Burley is having a sale on several hair styles at the moment. Their style might also suit yours. Besides that store, browse "the usual suspects"... Stealthic, Doux, Dura, Tableau Vivant ...

Avi-Glam has really pretty, almost cheap eye options and I do believe they come in all flavours... from system eyes on to mesh eyes plus appliers for mesh head eyes.

Luckily, your choice of clothing is rather popular on events. So you can happily spend some time browsing the previews on a blog like http://seraphimsl.com and then dive into shopping.

All other stores can be found via Search, if you look for the provided store name and choose the "places" tab. 

Remember the no. 1 essential step: demo, demo, demo! B|
Make sure that you like what you buy, that it fits and that it looks good on you.

• Like 3

Hmm, Cody looks cute.

To me, for a human look, I  think I could get somewhat close with a Catwa Dino head, AviGlam skin, Signature Geralt body, some hair from Dura, Bad Hair Day or even Monster, some other places too.

That will give you something more realistic than stylised

If you want more anime, then I am the wrong person to ask.

Demo demo, demo!

Here is what I did with that head/body/skin combination it's really down to your choice on realistic or anime though

Snapshot_012x.thumb.png.ed0b16e9690c7b34c3f3988bf44b6998.png

Edited by Callum Meriman
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, vaporgex said:

Hi there!

I just started playing SL a couple of days ago and have been enjoying it so far. However I've been a bit overwhelmed by all the options available for avatars. I'm trying to make my avatar look as close as possible to this character I made in The Sims 4, but I'm having trouble getting the face and skin right. I'm currently using one of the classic avatars given to you at the start and I modified it as much as I could but I can't quite make it look the way I want. I can't get the eyes to look right. It doesn't have to look EXACTLY as what I want, but at least be closer to what I currently have.

I'm new to all this and am just learning about all the mesh skin options in the market place and I'm thinking one of those would work better in making my avatar look closer to my goal. But I don't know where to start. I want to make sure I get a mesh that can still work with the clothes I bought and such too.

Could someone point me to anything that may help me get my avatar looking like the pic I attached? Any explanations on meshes and such will be great too. Any help will be appreciated! Thank you!

Interestingly enough, the default avatar is more adjustable than any of the mesh options on the market. Going mesh isn't going to solve your problems, and, especially if you normally wear very body-covering outfits like in the picture, it will be money spent that won't be very visible most of the time.

The Sims 4 avatar has a highly stylized look that isn't what most avatar accessories in Second Life are meant for. You might look at some of the more "anime" focused avatars though.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Theresa Tennyson said:

Interestingly enough, the default avatar is more adjustable than any of the mesh options on the market. Going mesh isn't going to solve your problems, and, especially if you normally wear very body-covering outfits like in the picture, it will be money spent that won't be very visible most of the time.

The Sims 4 avatar has a highly stylized look that isn't what most avatar accessories in Second Life are meant for. You might look at some of the more "anime" focused avatars though.

Oh, another suggestion: you might not even want to go "full mesh", maybe mesh feet, bento hands and a bento head will do for you as well (unless you want to spend a lot of time at beaches)

you could still upgade to full mesh later (with maybe the extra expense on feet and hands - depending if the body you decide on has its own - but you can keep the head)

PS : before buying any cloth .... use a little forsight: make sure they fit classic and a lot of meshbodys until you decided on what way to go (won't leave you with unuseable cloth)

Edited by Fionalein
  • Like 3

If you're going to go with mesh hands and feet, you might as well go full body now instead of spending on hands and feet and then later if you want a full body, unless buying a Slink body, you won't be able to use the hands and feet .. and then you've wasted money.

• Like 4

7 hours ago, Iki Kimono said:

If you wanted a more 'anime' style head, I'd suggest one of the BJD heads from Raven Bell. 

This is what I was going to suggest, too. Either Catwa's "Dino" head, or one of Raven Bell's BJD heads. This one is "James" (although if I redid this pic I'd choose a different skin; the upper lip didn't really map too well here) -

38771345521_19ea557d7b_h.jpg

• Like 3

As to the rest of your desired look: hoodies are ten-a-penny in SL, although - as with Sims - if you want one with the hood up you'll get the best fit if you use one that comes with hair attached, rather than trying to fit a hoodie over the top of a hairstyle. (I've played Sims from the original through to TS3, which I still play today, although I've never played TS4.) I seem to recall that the Dura hair store in SL collaborated sometime in the last year with a clothing designer (can't remember who that was now) to create a separate hairstyle for a menswear event: one that fitted perfectly with the other designer's hoodie. It might now be at the Dura mainstore with a link to the relevant clothing store.

ETA: It may have been Dura, or (now that I think of it) it could have been the INK hair store. Ugh, sorry. Hoodies aren't my thing, otherwise I would probably have bought it and remembered exactly who made it. It was a really great-looking product.

The necklace is fairly simple. This one on Marketplace comes close, if you use the HUD to customise the chain to silver and the triangle to light grey.

I'm going to guess those are CC eyes. There are several similar ones in SL (you'll find that quite a few Sims CC creators also mesh for SL, including Stealthic and Ersch, and don't even get me started on the Sims creators who basely steal SL meshes to convert for Sims... ¬¬). If you stick with a system avatar then these freebie eyes by Bird Next Door are a close match (or you can head to the Avi-Glam inworld store and wait by the lucky boards; the single one at the top is open for all to click and contains system eyes. Just click it if the letter changes to either the first letter of your username - 'V' - or to a '?'). If you go for a mesh head, these eye appliers from Avi-Glam are similar in colour.

Edited by Skell Dagger
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, vaporgex said:

Hi there!

I just started playing SL a couple of days ago and have been enjoying it so far.

Any help will be appreciated! Thank you!

codycitywall1.jpg

Dude... I think we need help from you.

Those don't look like the results of a newbie...

You're doing great thus far. I can't tell if that is either the best job I have ever seen with a system head, or if you have a mesh head on. But either way it's great.

So...

All I can say is to DEMO a lot of options... and make sure you're watching both avatar complexity and script usage.

I'm not too fluent on male brands so specifics escape me... but I really think you've got about 110% of what you need already covered.

If that is a system head - note that many mesh heads are highly stylized. You will see a dramatically different face when you put it on, and have to mess with shape dials a lot to get your own look (but improved) back.

- To do this myself I logged in twice at the same time to SL. once on myself and once on an alt. I put on the same free skin on both... and sat them on two copies of the same pose stand in a neutral pose, side by side... then I put on my new mesh head... and used my alt wearing my shape as a reference. To get... not the same look... but something that still felt like "me".

It can be seriously laggy to log into Sl twice... but worth doing every rare now and then for something like that...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

If you want to go for an anime avi, Mesh body addicts will not me much help. They seem to have no idea about those but they exist too and have a healthy 3rd party cloth market (not nearly as big as the normal avatars but they exist) Finding nothing in their databse does not equal no anime bodies existing, they are just not what they seem to catalog.

Edited by Fionalein
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Skell Dagger said:

I seem to recall that the Dura hair store in SL collaborated sometime in the last year with a clothing designer (can't remember who that was now) to create a separate hairstyle for a menswear event: one that fitted perfectly with the other designer's hoodie

Dura and Gabriel.

Dura has also done another style with free hoodie at Neo Japan this month.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Love Zhaoying said:

OP said this was a pic from another system (SIMS).

Ah... that explains a lot. I missed seeing that. Oops... :P

Now I gotta think of some advice the rest of you haven't covered yet... gonna have to come back here in a bit... O.o

Also maybe I should buy the sims and mess around. Looks a lot better than the last time I looked, which was Sims 2... 

Edited by Pussycat Catnap
  • Like 1

Hi everyone!

Sorry I didn't reply for awhile, things got hectic in real life but I wanted to thank all of you for your helpful replies! I went through your suggestions and eventually ended up picking Raven's BJD Bento head and the Kuroo body. My avatar is looking real good now! I know the Sims 4 has a certain style that may not be attainable in SL, but now I'm pretty darn close!

I'm still working on it (I haven't quite found the right hair yet I think), but once I'm done, I'll be sure to post a pic to show what I got!

Again, thanks so much for your help! =D

• Like 2

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2197 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.