Last names question.

Trin1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2112 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

They should just let people make their own last names, even if they gotta pay a little more for it and possibly an option to change their 1st name. I wouldn't wanna end up with LreliaBelizaire Belizaire would I.Their current naming system is frustrating is all i'm trying to say -.-

Edited by LreliaBelizaire
  • Confused 1

• 2 months later...
1 hour ago, raeford Kiranov said:

we already have display names. last names should be like before from a random last name generator if last names are offered. Otherwise some dumb ass people would put their real life info into their name and profile. 

If you'd bother to read any of the info that been posted about this, then you'd know that people WILL have to select from a provided list of last names.

• Like 3

Use a search engine for "Explains Why Last Names For Second Life Avatars Were Removed" or "Looking Back: Why Did Linden Lab Get Rid of Last Names" or similar for some interesting reading.  

Not being able to pick a last name put some people off signing up or caused confusion.

People often picked something and then found they regretted their choice and had no option but to junk everything and start over.

We would routinely make vast numbers of throwaway joke accounts whenever a new name came up further hampering actual new players.

Finding more suitable last names was becoming increasing difficult

5 hours ago, CoffeeDujour said:

Not being able to pick a last name put some people off signing up or caused confusion.

People often picked something and then found they regretted their choice and had no option but to junk everything and start over.

I would say "not always true" to that. I remember, when i wanted to make an account in 2010, they used to send a verification link to your email address. But i never got this verification email, for some reason. So i tried a few different email addresses (different domains) and one finally worked. These other accounts i tried to make, are floating in Limbo and i can't access them.

I'm sure many people had the same problem back then. That's probably why so many accounts were created that were never used.

How would LL know if people regretted their choice? Did they ask them? *pokes tongue*... Maybe that was just an excuse. I guess, we will never find out the real reason why they got rid of the last names back then.

Edited by danikristine

7 hours ago, danikristine said:

How would LL know if people regretted their choice? Did they ask them? *pokes tongue*... Maybe that was just an excuse. I guess, we will never find out the real reason why they got rid of the last names back then.

LL are well known for their love of metrics (statistics), finding all users with multiple accounts who use their second as their main is not hard to do. They can link all the accounts you own regardless of  your sign up details, and certainly have hours played etc, so it's just a little SQL and bingo .. probably one of the simpler queries TBH.

LL do also solicit feedback .. just because they never asked you :P

• Like 2

On 7/12/2018 at 5:11 AM, CoffeeDujour said:

Having watched someone with my last name over on Wonk i regret it. But not very much. So I will keep it.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2112 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.