Last names question.

Trin1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2107 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Here 

it says "The return of Last Names - You’ve asked for it (a lot!), so we will provide a way to customize your last name in Second Life! More details will be available later this year."

Anyone know if that will be a new account only option, or will we have an option to get rid of "Resident" from our current accounts?

No one probably knows yet, but I thought I'd ask.

2 hours ago, Trin1 said:

Anyone know if that will be a new account only option, or will we have an option to get rid of "Resident" from our current accounts?

It will be similar to how names were created years ago.  You will be given a selection of last names to choose from and you can pick any first name you want to go with the last name as long as it results in a unique name.

The only thing we do not know yet is how much it will cost and exactly when later this year it will be available.

• Like 1

HOW HARD CAN IT BE

I used to work with a man who would say in all his tech-naive sincerity: "It's a computer! Can't you just push a button!?"

Anyone who's watched any TV at all knows that you could hire a hacker to write a worm that would go in and do it in a couple of seconds, and you could re-route power from the auxiliary (and life-support, if necessary) to make it go even faster.

• Haha 4

I'm betting that they really don't want people to do the 'name change' too often.  I wouldn't be surprised with a price anywhere from US $25-50.

However, I do still think that they ought to offer a single name change free of charge for everyone with a last name of Resident.

Edited by LittleMe Jewell
  • Like 6

9 minutes ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

However, I do still think that they ought to offer a single name change free of charge for everyone with a last name of Resident.

Agreed, or failing that a one time free for premium members and a one time discount for "free" users.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

Why would I - a seasoned resident - want one of the newb names? I want my own version of that "secondwave lastnamer entitlement syndrome" made famous by Klytyna.

Edited by Fionalein
  • Like 2
  • Haha 5

9 hours ago, Fionalein said:

Why would I - a seasoned resident - want one of the newb names? I want my own version of that "secondwave lastnamer entitlement syndrome" made famous by Klytyna.

Buhhhttt... Buhhhttt... You could have a LAST NAME! That may be an idiotic noun! That you share with hundreds of others that you have no relation to! How could you not want that?

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

13 hours ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

I'm betting that they really don't want people to do the 'name change' too often.  I wouldn't be surprised with a price anywhere from US $25-50.

I would be willing to bet a custom outfit they wont let you change it more than once... This is LL we are talking about. They charge $500 upfront and $500 a year for a custom last name.. 

If you set your mind to an "available" date of December 31, 2018 you'll be closer to the mark than not and also not agonize in anticipation for this feature. I'm only being half-sarcastic here. It really will be very late in the year before this becomes a real deal, the good news is that LL has committed to it becoming a real deal.

As for the costs: I'm willing the bet real money the price will be between $5 and $10 U.S. - because they've already said they want people to use the feature and the cost is primarily to prevent abuse. I'm even going to pin my bet on $5 U.S. per name-change. LL isn't stupid. They think these things through carefully and know the backlash they'd get if they tried to charge too much, yet they want to be sure the surcharge does what it is intended to do. $5 seems reasonable to me.

One thing they *could* decide to do, though I am doubtful right now, is to make it a Premium-only feature. Or perhaps some other value-add, like "one free name-change per month for Premium accounts" or whatever. LL never lets the full cat out of the bag when they design this stuff, so (hopefully) there will be some pleasant surprises. Though there still will be the shrill screams about something being "UNFAIR!!!!!11!" Hhahahaha

2 hours ago, Alyona Su said:

If you set your mind to an "available" date of December 31, 2018 you'll be closer to the mark than not

I was actually thinking first quarter 2019 at the earliest honestly.

And yeah I agree, no matter what happens some people will scream and rant about it being unfair, or unneeded.

You can' please all the people all the time.

Here is, gathered together in one place, all the information I currently have about the new last names feature in SL, from various Lindens:

https://ryanschultz.com/2018/03/22/more-details-on-the-upcoming-ability-to-change-your-user-name-in-second-life/

I am updating this blogpost with more information as I get it. It should answer a lot questions. I have read somewhere that Linden Lab will be allowing one free name change to each resident, but I have not heard that officially and I doubt it is true. I would expect something around the US$20 range. They will use this as a money-maker. They will probably make quite a bit of money from this, as there are seven years of pent-up demand.

• Thanks 5

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2107 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.