Thanks for all the fish...

Ee Maculate

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2199 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

After over 10 years of owning Mainland, at its peak 2 sims worth and a castle estate covering most of that, I finally sold off my last quarter sim parcel yesterday. Thought it deserved a little bit of comment so:

1/ Tier is far too expensive and not sustainable long term if you have RL commitments (mortgage, kids, car, clothes, food). The recent reductions announced, in my opinion, don't even make a dent in this assertion and won't make people come back in droves from Open worlds where costs are a fraction (if it had been more of a reduction I might have kept a presence going a bit longer).

2/ Land bots and land flipping are alive and well! I thought this was all banned years ago along with hovering for sale signs and networked advertising boards, but evidently not?

3/ Still haven't lost faith with Second Life as an idea (and still maintain a private region for my Uni department) but Linden Labs not doing themselves any favours with pricing, and haven't done for a long time.

Rant over!

• Like 2

So... based on the thread title this is a 'goodbye' post, but item 3/ jints that it's not a goodbye thread, so it's really just a rant thread. If I'm mistaken in this, please elaborate, because if it looks like, smells like, walks like, and sounds like a rant...

#justasking

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, Ee Maculate said:

2/ Land bots and land flipping are alive and well! I thought this was all banned years ago along with hovering for sale signs and networked advertising boards, but evidently not?

Land Bots have been long gone but what made you assume land flipping and hovering for sale signs were banned years ago? Linden Lab would never ban land flipping. Land flipping means somebody, somewhere is paying the tier on that land, now why would Linden Lab want to go and disrupt that. 

Edited by Lisa006 Baxton
Learnt something new regarding hovering "for sale" signs :)
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Lisa006 Baxton said:

what made you assume ..... hovering for sale signs were banned years ago?

ehm..... this?

advertisements must comply with these requirements:

• They must be grounded to the terrain, not floating.
  • They must extend no higher than 8 m from the ground.
  • They must contain no rotating or flashing content and no particles.
  • They must not dispense unsolicited IMs, note cards, landmarks or content.
  • They must emit no light sources or glow (full bright is acceptable).
  • Advertising hoardings must be Phantom.
  • Ad content must be clearly Parcel lght G.png General in nature.
  • Ads must not contain sound or temp-on-rez content.
  • Ban lines should be switched off.

Does this policy include signs advertising parcels for sale?

Yes it does.

and more at the whole page

http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Linden_Lab_Official:Policy_on_ad_farms_and_network_advertisers

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

And how is this related? Did your ex parcels just become one of those dreaded farms upon sale or were those your neighbours? Sorry about enwhiring but you are leaving us a bit in the dark here...

Edited by Fionalein

• Administrators
On 4/10/2018 at 5:21 AM, Ee Maculate said:

After over 10 years of owning Mainland, at its peak 2 sims worth and a castle estate covering most of that, I finally sold off my last quarter sim parcel yesterday. Thought it deserved a little bit of comment so:

1/ Tier is far too expensive and not sustainable long term if you have RL commitments (mortgage, kids, car, clothes, food). The recent reductions announced, in my opinion, don't even make a dent in this assertion and won't make people come back in droves from Open worlds where costs are a fraction (if it had been more of a reduction I might have kept a presence going a bit longer).

3/ Still haven't lost faith with Second Life as an idea (and still maintain a private region for my Uni department) but Linden Labs not doing themselves any favours with pricing, and haven't done for a long time.

Rant over!

Hey Ee,

I am going to focus on just the hovering signs, did you file an Abuse Report on them when you come across them? If not, please do so! I can assure you that the Governance team looks into those reports and individually reviews each and every one of them.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Tommy Linden said:

I can assure you that the Governance team looks into those reports and individually reviews each and every one of them.

That's true, whether it was stray prims blocking linden roads or similar stuff... whatever I reported might have taken some time but eventually something happened.

On 4/10/2018 at 8:21 AM, Ee Maculate said:

Rant over!

Two sims is a lot -- that's $390 a month real cash. That's like renting...something in RL. A parking space? Or paying for a student loan or something. Maybe you could have just kept a 4096 or even a 512? I understand that sometimes you just want to be done with it.

Land flipping isn't banned -- how could it be? It's a free market. As for land bots, not sure they are banned.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2199 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.