Hello everyone,

I'm just wondering what your top tips and suggestions are for newbies that have never done any role-play, but would like to try it out?

I for one, have never tried it, but it sounds interesting. I'm sure there must be other newbies who would like to know what's involved.

Many role play providers have sims linked in their shops or personal picks, do a marketplace search for fantasy/ SciFi/ police/ whatever you want to go for research visit those places and search their creator's places picks... you will find a lot.

Edited by Fionalein

Getting around to watch and learn is definitely a good idea. You'll encounter different styles of roleplay, as there are numerous and very different approaches to it, from plain text exchange to some fancy scripted HUD based play. Try it and see what works best for you.
It's a good idea to look for group dedicated to promote locations, besides looking for places on your own.

Make yourself familiar with basic concepts, like not falling into a godmodding playstyle or meta gaming. 

As a visitor to a RP location, it's polite to stand back and respect any ongoing scenes. Look out for anything like a "visitor tag", which is usually an object to attach that'll show a "Visitor" hovertext on you. Extra kudos if you put your local chat text into (( ... )), like writing "((Hello, I'm a visitor and new to roleplay. May I hang out for a bit and learn, please?))" ... that'll show that you are not appearing as part of the game.

Not sure if this is obvious, but some people roleplay using the “emote” prefix “/me” which italicizes your words. 

Edited by Love Zhaoying

6 hours ago, Fionalein said:

Many role play providers have sims linked in their shops or personal picks, do a marketplace search for fantasy/ SciFi/ police/ whatever you want to go for research visit those places and search their creator's places picks... you will find a lot.

Oh, I didn't know that. Thank you for the helpful tip :D

6 hours ago, Lillith Hapmouche said:

Getting around to watch and learn is definitely a good idea. You'll encounter different styles of roleplay, as there are numerous and very different approaches to it, from plain text exchange to some fancy scripted HUD based play. Try it and see what works best for you.
It's a good idea to look for group dedicated to promote locations, besides looking for places on your own.

Make yourself familiar with basic concepts, like not falling into a godmodding playstyle or meta gaming. 

As a visitor to a RP location, it's polite to stand back and respect any ongoing scenes. Look out for anything like a "visitor tag", which is usually an object to attach that'll show a "Visitor" hovertext on you. Extra kudos if you put your local chat text into (( ... )), like writing "((Hello, I'm a visitor and new to roleplay. May I hang out for a bit and learn, please?))" ... that'll show that you are not appearing as part of the game.

Thank you. I did visit a couple of places yesterday and plan to visit some others. I like the idea of a visitor tag and will certainly look out for something like that. :)

3 hours ago, Love Zhaoying said:

Not sure if this is obvious, but some people roleplay using the “emote” prefix “/me” which italicizes your words. 

I'm an old lady and a newbie, so I have no idea what you just said, lol,  :$xD But thanks for replying,

3 minutes ago, KadyGraham said:

I'm an old lady and a newbie, so I have no idea what you just said, lol,  :$xD But thanks for replying,

In open chat, type “/me” (no quotes), plus a space (hit the spacebar key), plus some other text like “is happy” (no quotes) then press the Enter key.

You will see something like this in a different chat color than usual, in italics:

KatyGraham is happy

14 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

In open chat, type “/me” (no quotes), plus a space (hit the spacebar key), plus some other text like “is happy” (no quotes) then press the Enter key.

You will see something like this in a different chat color than usual, in italics:

KatyGraham is happy

Ah, now I get it. Thank you for explaining :D

12 minutes ago, KadyGraham said:

Ah, now I get it. Thank you for explaining :D

Back to my original point: Some use this method while Role playing, the switch to regular text (without /me) when going “out of character”.  As someone said above, some also use “()” when going “out of character” such as to ask a question about the roleplay rules.

Some roleplay sims have rules about all this. I went with friends once to an unfamiliar RP sim and the RP leader had some gadget they used to strike me with lightning because I did not use “(out of character)”.  It was terribly funny.

Back to my original point: Some use this method while Role playing, the switch to regular text (without /me) when going “out of character”.  As someone said above, some also use “()” when going “out of character” such as to ask a question about the roleplay rules.

Some roleplay sims have rules about all this. I went with friends once to an unfamiliar RP sim and the RP leader had some gadget they used to strike me with lightning because I did not use “(out of character)”.  It was terribly funny.

Thanks for the extra explanation, I understand now and lol, the lightning sounds painful, lol

• Thanks 1

...the RP leader had some gadget they used to strike me with lightning...

Have you been to Altis Life, with someone using the Zeus tools, just by chance? :P

4 minutes ago, Lillith Hapmouche said:

Have you been to Altis Life, with someone using the Zeus tools, just by chance? :P

Gee, this was more than 10 years ago and only went there once. So, I dunno.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

Gee, this was more than 10 years ago and only went there once. So, I dunno.

Hehe, that's a mod for ArmA 3, not related at all to SL :D

4 hours ago, KadyGraham said:

I like the idea of a visitor tag and will certainly look out for something like that. :)

Dropped you a combined titler / RP chatter inworld ;)

• Like 1