Connect Jeogeot to Sansara with a channel (or even Sansara to Satori?)

lucagrabacr

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1915 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Ever since the tier allowance and price change I've gotten more mainland land and even managed to make my friend to leave his Linden home and got his own mainland land close to mine with the current much more appealing tier! :) I'm quite a land and house nerd so the past few weeks after the change has been really exciting to me, lots of things are changing and developing too throughout mainland.

So what about upping the hype and appeal by connecting the continents? :D I like the continent I live in so much and it has its own unique things, but so many historic sites and point of interests are in Sansara (Govt Linden Mansion, Ivory Tower, NCI, Waterhead Welcome Area, etc) I know I'm in the minority but I think traversing from Jeogeot to Sansara and vice versa would be phenomenally exciting! Not to mention Sansara is connected to Heterocera already with even more amazing things there!

Satori is already connected with Nautilus, has the black sea, and then it connects to Corsica. I just think it would somewhat increase the perceived value of owning a mainland land if all the continents are connected. (so people don't think, "if I live in X continent, then I'm missing out things in Y continent", even though you can still teleport to those continents, but still, having them physically connected just seems much more better)

What do you guys think?

I've counted it takes at least 30-ish sims to connect Northernmost Jeogeot with Southernmost Sansara, so maybe if we use openspace regions instead of normal ones as the channel it would be much more economical?

Kinda think this has been suggested before, but couldn't be bothered to search, plus I want to resurface the idea anyway :D 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, lucagrabacr said:

What do you guys think?

Forcibly relocate surviving Jeoflopians to Sansara as refugees, then liberally seed Jeoflop with 20 kiloton Thermonuclear Sim Demolition charges and sink it...

Then build a yachting park over the submerged rubble

• Haha 6
  • Sad 2

2 hours ago, Klytyna said:

Forcibly relocate surviving Jeoflopians to Sansara as refugees, then liberally seed Jeoflop with 20 kiloton Thermonuclear Sim Demolition charges and sink it...

But but... one of my favourite vehilce builders lives down there, why not nuke just the madlands parts but of all mainland? some carters would be hell of an improvement to most things out there.

• Like 1

In case anybody are interested, opening up a Northeast Passage between Sansara and Satori would require somewhere between 65 and 70 sims and the best route would probably be from Bevel to Atanua. The shortest route, avoiding the few private sims that still survive the area, would be from Nordica to Blofeld but that would be extremely pointless since both those sims are blocked from access to the waterways by hostile landowners.

(On a sidenote: It's been a while since last time I idled away hours dreaming of a Northeast Passage and looking at what used to be such a familiar part of the map, really drives home what sim death means. It used to be really difficult to trace a good route between the scattered islands, today it's plain sailing and we're spoilt for choices.)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

13 hours ago, Klytyna said:

You mean like what they did to East Zindra during the construction phase?

• Haha 2

13 hours ago, Fionalein said:

But but...

Don't you want to see @Whirly Fizzle demonstrate her cool Thermonuclear Sim Demolition Charges? She posted a pic of a sim that had been nuked with one some time last year, looked cool as hell! All twisted dark grey volcanic randomness!

• Haha 2

14 minutes ago, Klytyna said:

Don't you want to see @Whirly Fizzle demonstrate her cool Thermonuclear Sim Demolition Charges? She posted a pic of a sim that had been nuked with one some time last year, looked cool as hell! All twisted dark grey volcanic randomness!

Ah, so that is what happened to the Realms?

• Haha 4

2 hours ago, Klytyna said:

Could she please at least give us the courtesy of a four-minute warning? I live on Northern Jeogeot, and I would like to ensure that I'm suitably attired for the Afterlife.

• Like 1
  • Haha 9

6 hours ago, ChinRey said:

In case anybody are interested, opening up a Northeast Passage between Sansara and Satori would require somewhere between 65 and 70 sims and the best route would probably be from Bevel to Atanua. The shortest route, avoiding the few private sims that still survive the area, would be from Nordica to Blofeld but that would be extremely pointless since both those sims are blocked from access to the waterways by hostile landowners.

(On a sidenote: It's been a while since last time I idled away hours dreaming of a Northeast Passage and looking at what used to be such a familiar part of the map, really drives home what sim death means. It used to be really difficult to trace a good route between the scattered islands, today it's plain sailing and we're spoilt for choices.)

In a meeting Simon Linden said that it would be possible to have a region treat another one as a neighbor although they aren't next to another one on the map. (It would even be possible to set up a continuous loop.)

Instead of a long chain of regions it should be possible to create these "channels" with just enough water regions to get a boat or airplane to a point where the world was all water and sky. You could leave one continent, enter the channel and then arrive at the other continent without needing them to appear to connect on the map.

• Like 6

4 hours ago, Klytyna said:

:D

Terraform Bomb

• Like 4
  • Haha 4

50 minutes ago, Theresa Tennyson said:

In a meeting Simon Linden said that it would be possible to have a region treat another one as a neighbor although they aren't next to another one on the map. (It would even be possible to set up a continuous loop.)

Instead of a long chain of regions it should be possible to create these "channels" with just enough water regions to get a boat or airplane to a point where the world was all water and sky. You could leave one continent, enter the channel and then arrive at the other continent without needing them to appear to connect on the map.

SL sailors and aviators would delight in this, as would car drivers if we finally got bridges =^.^= (Well unless they use map orientation, which could get confusing then)

Edited by Fionalein
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Theresa Tennyson said:

Wormholes on the grid? That's a lovely concept.

Back when it would have made the most commercial sense to create the Northeast Passage, the string of sims would have made the most sense since it would have offered lots of very lucrative anchorage for private estates like the ones Blake Sea. That's hardly relevant today though, so a wormhole may well be the best option.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Theresa Tennyson said:

I'd never had reason to even consider it before, but what Simon Linden said makes the SL sim system sound exactly like the adventure games that I wrote a very long time ago. We visualise locations in these things as being next to each other, like a grid on a piece of graph paper - like they appear to be on the SL Map. But they aren't - not even on a graph paper grid like SL appears to be on the Map. Instead, each location (sim in the case of SL) has a number of pieces of data, each piece being the reference to the location next to the sim. In SL's case, it only needs 8 pieces of reference data - the references for sims (locations) that are to the n, s, e, w, ne, se, sw, and nw. In adventure games there's also up and down.

I knew one person who wrote his adventure games like an actual piece of graph paper, but they had to be small. I think most writers simply used connecting locations data.

So what Simon Linden described is no different to they way it is now - each location (sim) having 8 location datas pointing to the 8 connecting locations (sims). One or more of those location datas can be null, of course, so there would be no place to go in those directions. It's very simple to create wormholes and loops in SL but the Map couldn't reflect them. The code for the Map would need to be altered if they actually did create such things. If it weren't for the Map, all sorts of connection oddities could quickly and easily be done with SL sims, such as the loop he mentioned, wormholes, and entering a sim on the west, for instance, when you leave it on the east, which would amount to being the tiniest possible loop. Even some randomness could be incorporated.

So I see the Map as being the barrier to it. The coding of the Map can be changed so that the Map itself reflects something, but I would think that it's much easier for LL to add enough OpenSpace water sims to do the job of connecting continents.

Edited by Phil Deakins
  • Like 1

48 minutes ago, Phil Deakins said:

... If it weren't for the Map, all sorts of connection oddities could quickly and easily be done with SL sims, such as the loop he mentioned, wormholes, and entering a sim on the west, for instance, when you leave it on the east, which would amount to being the tiniest possible loop.

Who else now had to think about the Squaresoft console gaming classics?

Edited by Fionalein

6 hours ago, Phil Deakins said:

It's very simple to create wormholes and loops in SL but the Map couldn't reflect them. The code for the Map would need to be altered if they actually did create such things. If it weren't for the Map, all sorts of connection oddities could quickly and easily be done with SL sims, such as the loop he mentioned, wormholes, and entering a sim on the west, for instance, when you leave it on the east, which would amount to being the tiniest possible loop. Even some randomness could be incorporated.

So I see the Map as being the barrier to it. The coding of the Map can be changed so that the Map itself reflects something, but I would think that it's much easier for LL to add enough OpenSpace water sims to do the job of connecting continents.

Yes, openspaces connecting would be nice, and would open up more chances to connect private estate off the sides of the routes, which could earn extra money for the Lab considering it's US$500 a year (from memory) to connect to mainland.

I'd also be pretty happy if there was just a huge green arrow overlayed on the maptile, pointing to the border with the wormhole. Doesn't need to say where, as that route can be learnt. In fact it would be a lot of fun to actually seek them out and follow them.

e8513df0da406f101a26c6bbb114f9e0.thumb.png.60638bd8d06ae1593420e116475aa85f.png

Edited by Callum Meriman
  • Like 2

22 minutes ago, Callum Meriman said:

I'd also be pretty happy if there was just a huge green arrow overlayed on the maptile, pointing to the border with the wormhole. Doesn't need to say where, as that route can be learnt. In fact it would be a lot of fun to actually seek them out and follow them.

not to forget the current SL metaplot would allow this evil Ruth to ripple the fabric of space... would totally fit in =^.^=

Edited by Fionalein
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, Phil Deakins said:

So I see the Map as being the barrier to it.

That shouldn't matter much. The map is so messed up anyway with all the mesh.

10 hours ago, Phil Deakins said:

The coding of the Map can be changed so that the Map itself reflects something, but I would think that it's much easier for LL to add enough OpenSpace water sims to do the job of connecting continents.

Possibly. According to Oz Linden, nobody at LL dares go near the map code.

There is a wonderful spin off from this tech.  They could make water sim with the left edge connected to the right edge, and the top edge connected to the bottom edge, and then you could sail all day......  and never get anywhere!

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, anna2358 said:

There is a wonderful spin off from this tech.  They could make water sim with the left edge connected to the right edge, and the top edge connected to the bottom edge, and then you could sail all day......  and never get anywhere!

That crossed my mind, but not the last bit - never getting anywhere. What crossed my mind was a single water sim which, when you leave it, say to the north, you arrive in the same sim but at the south edge, and have it keep count of the number of times you made the transitions back and forth, so that after you'd gone, say, north n number of times, you moved to a normal sim.

Edited by Phil Deakins

6 hours ago, Callum Meriman said:

Yes, openspaces connecting would be nice, and would open up more chances to connect private estate off the sides of the routes, which could earn extra money for the Lab considering it's US$500 a year (from memory) to connect to mainland.

e8513df0da406f101a26c6bbb114f9e0.thumb.png.60638bd8d06ae1593420e116475aa85f.png

Perhaps better would be a thin green line along the edge of the sim to indicate that going off the edge is going into a wormhole/portal, and a similar one along the edge of the sim at the other end of the wormhole/portal, which wouldn't be next to the first sim, or even in line with it on the map.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ChinRey said:

Possibly. According to Oz Linden, nobody at LL dares go near the map code.

It doesn't seem to be all that long since the map was modified, but it's probably a lot longer ago than it seems. Even so, if the code was fully commented, as it should have been, changing it shouldn't be too difficult. But I still think that openspace water sims is the way to do it if LL fancies obliging the OP. It's certainly the quickest and easiest. The wormhole idea is desirable but is fanciful imagination. Not fanciful because it can't really be accomplished, but fanciful because there's precious little chance of LL actually doing it.

Edited by Phil Deakins
  • Like 2

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1915 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.