Get more Marketplace reviews

AdamZadig

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2180 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

From Yelp to SL, on all review type sites, the bulk of product reviews is either by crazed fanbois (or the proprietor themselves), or the angry customer who had no other recourse.

Without context of a review, or an ability to discuss, or the willingness of the participants to concede a point, or come to an agreement, it's either Thumbs Up or Thumbs Down, and therefore is absolutely pointless.

I've been informed that people will review something they liked a lot, say nothing if they're satisfied, and low rating if they don't like it.

So yeah, make good items, price shouldn't matter, and try to accommodate the occasional customer.

I always appreciate productive feedback, its more valuable than an unsupported rating that tells me nothing.

On 06. 04. 2018. at 11:29 PM, AdamZadig said:

For my old store I used to offer a 50% refund if the buyer left an honest review!!

I tried this to see how it will look like and got a bunch of reviews that look totally fake. And since they were all made in the same day that makes them look even worse lol

Everyone knows how reviews are made and if we offer some kind of a reward people feel obligated to write everything best and that's instant fake! 

On 4/6/2018 at 2:29 PM, AdamZadig said:

For my old store I used to offer a 50% refund if the buyer left an honest review!!

Actually, I do believe this is against MP TOS.

7 hours ago, Tamara Artis said:

I tried this to see how it will look like and got a bunch of reviews that look totally fake. And since they were all made in the same day that makes them look even worse lol

Everyone knows how reviews are made and if we offer some kind of a reward people feel obligated to write everything best and that's instant fake! 

Precisely.

@AdamZadig : I have a friend who does it this way:

The problem, he believes, is that people literally forget about leaving reviews. You don't go review something five minutes after opening it up. But then, you forget all about doing so. At the top of all his instructions notecards he always puts this (and I paraphrase):

If you have a few moments to take the time, leaving a review always helps. Positive or negative, as long as it's honest and truthful.
http://marketplace.secondlife.com/xxxx/yyyy/1234
Please remember a good review (positive or negative) will answer these questions for others:
Is the product value what you expected?
Is the documentation clear and complete?
Is the price a fair one for what you received?
Is the creator responsive to you?

Then he goes into the instructions of whatever it is. Oh, and the MP link goes straight to THAT PRODUCT (not just his store). This way anytime someone opens those instructions there it is, with a link. He says reviews are still not as often as he'd like, but a definite boost since he started doing this.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

40 minutes ago, Alyona Su said:

Actually, I do believe this is against MP TOS.

It is not.

At least not the way Adam does it, (also the well known business Inverse has been doing this for years.). The important part that makes this practise entirely legal is that the 50% off will be given to honest reviews irregardless of whether they are good or bad ones.

It would be against the TOS however if a merchant would only give that 50% off if customers leave positive reviews and get 0% off if they leave negative ones.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

• Moderators

Greetings!

Reviews are the bane of any system, unfortunately. 

Those who absolutely LOVE the item are more inclined to review the product. 

Those who absolutely HATE the item are more inclined to review the product. 

This is the same with any system that accepts/uses reviews whether in Second Life or in the physical world. 

So far, there has been no one size fits all solution to getting more reviews.  You may wish to try a combination of options to see if one or more helps to generate reviews.

The only caveat, as noted above, is any reward system for reviews must apply equally to all reviews, positive, negative, and neutral.  

If you do not already have a branded group for your products, you may wish to create one and include a notecard in with your products inviting the buyers to join your group.  This will allow you to post notices to your customers, offer free items to group members, etc.   While many merchants (and others) use groups that are automated in some fashion, I would strongly recommend against using any system that automatically invites users to your group, or that sends IM notices/advertisements to people who do not opt in to receiving the messages.  

Some suggestions that you could try include, but are not limited to, the following:

*Gift Card worth XXX percent off a future purchase.

*Partial Refund of purchase price for a review on the purchased item/s.

* Offering an item free to someone for an honest review. (Personally I would be VERY cautious about this one.  If the person is directly related to you, husband, wife, gf/bf, son, in world partner, etc., this can be seen as a conflict of interest as the person is more likely to offer a biased/favorable review because of their personal relationship with you). 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Oh great, it somehow ate my reply. Hit sent, it showed up and when I re-checked this thread it's gone? O.o

Edit: It did not eat my reply, it ended up in another topic entirely once I checked my post log. How the everloving fudge did that happen? I did not have that other topic open, wasn't even aware of it until I checked my post log. Wow.

Repost:

I quite like Inverse's system, it's automated. You leave a review on one of their houses, then you go to their store in world and touch a terminal. It verifies that you left a review automatically and then refunds you 50% of your pruchase.

This is imho, extremely well handled and encourages people to be unbiased since a) you do not have to directly approach the creator b) you do not at all feel pressured into leaving a better review because you know you will get your rebate either way c) the creator, other than setting up the system, has no chance to refuse any payout upon a negative review being left.

I'm temped to look into such a system myself, safe for less than a handful of reviews I've only ever had one customer leave a ton of them after buying a ton of my animations. It might look a little spammy and even fake, but if you dig...you'll realize I don't have power over the owner of PrimPossible xD she's way out of my league but a gem for taking the time to review<3

Edited by Syn Anatine
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Syn Anatine said:

Edit: It did not eat my reply, it ended up in another topic entirely once I checked my post log. How the everloving fudge did that happen? I did not have that other topic open, wasn't even aware of it until I checked my post log. Wow.

And I replied over there =^.^=

• Haha 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2180 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.