Why doesnt firestorm default to keyboard and mouse?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2142 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

32 minutes ago, Lillith Hapmouche said:

Just a vague guess: could this refer to the option "Pressing letter keys affects movement instead of starting local chat" in Preferences > Move & View > Movement tab?

that was the checkbox I didn't remember =^.^=

• Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 4/6/2018 at 9:50 AM, Whirly Fizzle said:

I don't understand the question either.
Can you explain in more detail what the problem is?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arrow_keys#WASD_keys

quoting wiki

WASD (,AOE on Dvorak keyboards; ZQSD on AZERTY keyboards) is a set of four keys on a QWERTY or QWERTZ computer keyboard which mimics the inverted-T configuration of the arrow keys. These keys are often used to control the player character's movement in computer games, most commonly first person games but also in many driving and third person games. W/S control forward and backward, while A/D control strafing left and right. Typically, modifier keys are not used to strafe (as performed using the Alt + arrow keys in older games such as Doom and Duke Nukem 3D).

Primarily, WASD is used to account for the fact that the arrow keys are not ergonomic to use in conjunction with a right-handed mouse. This also allows the user to use the left hand thumb to press the space bar (often the jump command) and the left hand little finger to press the Ctrl or ⇧ Shift keys (often the crouch and/or sprint commands). In later games, the usage of the E key to interact with items or open up the inventory was also popularized due to its location next to the WASD keys, allowing players to reach it quickly.

As opposed to the default keyboard-only controls of Doom or Duke Nukem 3D, WASD is usually used in combination with a mouse. The greatest advantage of using a mouse and keyboard combination over a keyboard-only configuration is the ability to use the mouse to look around both vertically and horizontally, referred to as mouselook. Mouselook enables the player to perform techniques such as smooth circle strafing, which, although possible with the keyboard, was difficult to perform and resulted in jagged movement.

Dark Castle (1986) may be the first game to use WASD keys and mouse for control.[5] The style was popularized in competitive play in Quake and subsequently QuakeWorld, notably by professional gamer Dennis Fong.[6] In the same year that Castle Wolfenstein was released, 1981, the game Wizardry used the AWD keys for movement in a 3D dungeon. Both the programmers of Castle Wolfenstein and Wizardry were users of the earlier PLATO system where the game Moria used the AWD keys.

Half-Life was one of the first games to use WASD by default.[6] Most gamers prefer the WASD keys to the arrow keys for other various reasons, including the fact that more keys (and therefore, game commands) are easily accessible with the left hand when placed near WASD. Left-handed mouse users may prefer using the numpad or IJKL with their right hands instead for similar reasons.

After being popularized by first-person shooters, WASD became more common in other computer game genres as well. Many of the games that have adopted this layout use a first-person or over-the-shoulder third-person perspective. However, some games that use overhead camera views also use WASD to move the camera, such as some city-building games and economic simulation games.

Edited by iceing Braveheart

On 4/7/2018 at 9:56 AM, animats said:

You can plug in a joystick, or any USB Human Interface Device, and drive your avatar with it. But it has the same effect as the arrow keys. It's not proportional

That does not work. my xbox one controller does not work correct in secondlife. Also you not want keyboard emulation but the more smooth analoge movement.

• 2 weeks later...

Firestorm supports WASD you simply need to enable it. As to why it is not the default, I guess the question is why should it be? What would be the justification that having it enabled by default is better than it being disabled by default for the majority of users? If I were to consider myself as a "typical user" I spend more time typing to chat than typing to move, vastly more time, in my case; but one of the beauties of Second Life is that there is no such thing as a "typical user". Second Life is not an FPS, it is not any kind of action game - unless you choose it to be. People explore and chat simultaneously and find that having to click into the chat box to type there is an annoyance, preferring instead to be able to walk and char. There is no single right answer, it will depend on who you are and what you do. I've never used WASD, it feels utterly alien to me, but I'm not a gamer. Others will feel differently. 

The important thing is that you have the option.

b0fe35afc069a3493a68ccc3decb3701.png
https://gyazo.com/b0fe35afc069a3493a68ccc3decb3701

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Beq Janus said:

There is no single right answer, it will depend on who you are and what you do. I've never used WASD, it feels utterly alien to me, but I'm not a gamer. Others will feel differently. 

I appreciate the option is there. I appreciate the double click to move standard too. I appreciate that we have lots of ways to move so we can pick the one we like most.

I am always typing wwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww those times I forget to close the chatbar when steer with my right hand on the mouse and move with my left hand. >.> DOH! But the left on w and right on mouse is the most natural for me when I am surrounded by alpha that stops double mouse moving.

• Like 3

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2142 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.