Marketplace Seller Frustrations! ARG

Chic Aeon

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2191 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Just need to vent. 

The good news is that there are now some new ways to flag reviews including competitor and competitor's alts. Woot on that. 

I am just going to paste in MY reply to her one star (and incorrect) review :D. She also added negative comments on other similar products. THIS after pretty much saying that she had copybot capabilities.  SIGH. And we wonder why merchants get tired. 

On the plus side my Fantasy Faire Sponsor (one of two) was thrilled with the way the sim looked and we are working together on their area. So that balanced things out a bit. I rarely get "these folks" and I am SO VERY GLAD. 

I still couldn't find any appropriate topic to flag this review under -- or the comments.  I do suggest that The Lab if it wants to check her out for "malware" -- unless of course that was an empty threat.  Probably just one in hundreds though :(

on April 05, 2018, Chic Aeon said:

This person didn't read the ad obviously. Note that the text NOT CHANGED says "120 x 120". The description goes on to say that it comes in a rez box, is made of megaprims that cannot be resized.

She doesn't mention that I came to her pad at her request and offered to put up a sky prim for her UNTIL she mentioned that she could "get any texture" in one second (Linden Lab has the chat logs I am sure). Well that sent off some bells and whistles. How do you get a texture in a second LEGALLY. I STILL went back to my inworld shop and sent her a copy of the do it yourself 64 meter prims so that she could make her own with a LEGAL texture.

Then she left comments on other skyboxes AFTER this incident that as far as I can tell she didn't buy. IF she bought one and felt cheated, why on earth would she buy a second one in another size?

PLEASE READ the info provided. I have sold probably a hundred of these over the years with no issues. Some folks actually write and ASK if there is a 128 x 128 version and I tell them "sorry no". They can use the 64 meter prims if they like.

And no I will not sell or GIVE my textures out (sigh).

She did threaten to write a bad review. She has done that three times now so hopefully she feels vindicated.

• Sad 3

I saw a lot of bad reviews not because they only gave 1 start but they mostly didn't say anything useful or just didn't bother to read the description. I think when we rid the "not useful" button X times that review should stop being considered for the product score, but kept there with a flag for future reference.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Sylvannas Zulaman said:

I saw a lot of bad reviews not because they only gave 1 start but they mostly didn't say anything useful or just didn't bother to read the description. I think when we rid the "not useful" button X times that review should stop being considered for the product score, but kept there with a flag for future reference.

Those one star reviews long ago were from a competitor (friends and alts) which pretty much said exactly the same thing even AFTER I put up a demo. Now there is both a demo AND an inworld model -- and I think that seller may have left SL too so that helps :D.

But I do agree with you. Linden Lab can't watch ALL the comments and judge them. That would be way too much work.  But there really does need to be a better way. Personally I pay very little attention to the stars as they are mostly worthless. We have had folks come here to the forums and admit that they had their friends and alts buy their one day old product and post five star reviews. 

GIVE ME A DEMO OR AN INWORLD MODEL.  That's the bottom line for me.

We need a "didn't bother to read,  or get the demo or view inworld button". That would be a good thing LOL.    If someone has a legitimate gripe against something I built, that is fine. But when it is the purchaser's own fault? Not so much.   

Happily since I "solved" (twice so not really solved the first time) that  -- have my alts buy to give a 1 star review and get my product in front of theirs in the listings -- thing , it has been pretty calm at my place. People very seldom write reviews so when you see a ton of five stars or one stars it is automatically suspect to me.

TRUE there are some great free things out there and I have added my five star review to the masses already listed -- but those are easy to spot as legit -- OR you already know the brand well and the quality of the goods. 

Hopefully there will be some good changes in the Marketplace . I was happy to see that "competitor's and alts" choice in the flag listings.  Not appropriate as far as I can tell this time though :D

Thanks for your comment. 

• Like 1

Maybe create a website for actual information exchange? But it would definitely be troublesome and not perfect. I do think the whole MP system needs a BIG revamp, make it more user friendly, mobile friendly (as for all SL website), we're on mobile age, the more people can access SL on phone the more they'll join the world. Marketplace is clunky, the search is kinda laughable and the "alting reviews" are a major pain, I often see those crappy products with 5 stars and "amazing product" written on it.

• Like 1

• Moderators
30 minutes ago, Chic Aeon said:

<snip>

We need a "didn't bother to read,  or get the demo or view inworld button". That would be a good thing LOL.    If someone has a legitimate gripe against something I built, that is fine. But when it is the purchaser's own fault? Not so much.  

<snip>

Greetings!

An option for flagging a review already exists for issues of "didn't read the manual", it is available under Off Topic - Issue already noted in Item Description. 

If you have included information in your Item Listing Description that addresses an issue, observation, request, complaint, etc., that your customer raises in their review, please flag the review and one of the Marketplace Moderators will be able to remove the review & comments.

We only ask that you actually have the information in the actual Item Description, however. 

Examples of reviews that will be removed under this option include, but are not limited to, the following:

* Item Description says '5 standard sizes' - buyer submits review saying no sizing for XXX Mesh Body type. 

* Item Listing clearly shows that the item is No Modify - buyer submits review saying that they cannot modify the item.

* Item Listing is tagged Copy, Modify, Transfer AND See product details for permissions info - buyer submits review that says the item is not Full Perm. (As long as the Item Description actually does list all of the parts and the individual perms for each part)

Linden Lab understands that not everyone takes the time to fully read the information and that is in no way the sellers fault when that happens.  This is why the option to flag a review for Off Topic - Issue already noted in Item Description was made available.

If you believe that additional information should be provided to the moderators regarding the review from your customer, please reply to their review with the information and the Marketplace Moderators will see your reply and use that additional information when reviewing the flagging report.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 6

How long does it usually take to get a false review deleted? How much time elapses before we would know the review won't be changed? Should I create a support case for it too?

I flagged one 6 weeks ago, on my Paradise Island Skybox. I have an easy setup system where one flies to the sky on a flower and it rezzes. I describe the system on my MP graphic, and I describe the system in the text, and I also describe in detail how it works in my included instruction card. But the reviewer said this:

"Get a Rezz Box, Touch it and That';s it!

Why the Car, the Flower, the Beam? Go Up? Altitude? Lock? I don't know... your instruction is messy... I don't understand... Common... L$3,500 to play GUESS WHAT????

I wasted the Money.... TOO COMPLICATED!"

I do attempt to talk to some who didn't understand something and we usually resolve the issue easily, but I have a feeling this is not a person I want to encounter.

2 hours ago, Dakota Linden said:

An option for flagging a review already exists for issues of "didn't read the manual", it is available under Off Topic - Issue already noted in Item Description. 

Good to know. I wouldn't have looked under "off topic" for that :D.

I flagged both review and a comment on a item that she didn't actually buy which threatened to report me to Linden Lab for fraud ^^.  Still no mention of me coming over to her place, our long conversation or me giving her a second set of building materials so that she could make her own. And then there is that "I can get any texture in one second" comment which pretty much made me want to strangle the avatar LOL.  Geez

Thank you Dakota!   

4 minutes ago, Luna Bliss said:

I do attempt to talk to some who didn't understand something and we usually resolve the issue easily, but I have a feeling this is not a person I want to encounter.

There is definitely that. I was very helpful until the threat to steal the texture which she certainly can do. After that I tried to stay calm, sent her the other set for free and tried to put it behind me.  Since I was at her place it would be very easy to check up and see if she has "my" texture on "her" prim, but not much I can do about it anyway really -- maybe get her version of the texture deleted from the database. But she would just make another one :SwingingFriends:

All this because folks don't bother to read or ASK before they buy (some do of course but not in this case).

Edited by Chic Aeon
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Chic Aeon said:
10 minutes ago, Luna Bliss said:

There is definitely that. I was very helpful until the threat to steal the texture which she certainly can do. After that I tried to stay calm, sent her the other set for free and tried to put it behind me. 

Yes...there comes a point when one should back away.  I'm trusting my intuition more to know when an attempt at resolution is probably useless.

Fortunately I get few bad reviews.

Edited by Luna Bliss

• Moderators
16 hours ago, Luna Bliss said:

How long does it usually take to get a false review deleted? How much time elapses before we would know the review won't be changed? Should I create a support case for it too?

I flagged one 6 weeks ago, on my Paradise Island Skybox. I have an easy setup system where one flies to the sky on a flower and it rezzes. I describe the system on my MP graphic, and I describe the system in the text, and I also describe in detail how it works in my included instruction card. But the reviewer said this:

Hello Luna!

1-3 business days is the norm for Marketplace reports.  If you believe that a review should be looked at further, please submit a support ticket and include a direct link to the review on your product listing along with information regarding why you believe that the review should be removed and Customer Support will be able to have the issue reviewed further for you. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 4

23 hours ago, Chic Aeon said:

Just need to vent. 

The good news is that there are now some new ways to flag reviews including competitor and competitor's alts. Woot on that. 

I am just going to paste in MY reply to her one star (and incorrect) review :D. She also added negative comments on other similar products. THIS after pretty much saying that she had copybot capabilities.  SIGH. And we wonder why merchants get tired. 

On the plus side my Fantasy Faire Sponsor (one of two) was thrilled with the way the sim looked and we are working together on their area. So that balanced things out a bit. I rarely get "these folks" and I am SO VERY GLAD. 

I still couldn't find any appropriate topic to flag this review under -- or the comments.  I do suggest that The Lab if it wants to check her out for "malware" -- unless of course that was an empty threat.  Probably just one in hundreds though :(

If I were to purchase an item of yours, and give it a fair but maybe a disappointing review, that somehow my review should be removed? What difference would it make if I am a fellow marketer, or if I purchased the item under an alt?

As you can well imagine, I've had reviews deleted and flagged, under claims I was 'harassing' the store owner or giving an unfair review, as part of some campaign to undermine the store owner as a hostile competitor.. completely unfair.

I had been developing an alt and purchased an item from one seller, who's LODs were so out of whack, I had to leave a review about it (I remember your specialty is talking about LODs, lol :D). This item would 'blink out' (on default LOD settings) on LOD2, and therefore was impossible to take photos of oneself with it even from 5m away... In the short term I used your advice from one post to increase the LOD setting, but that shouldn't change my review. Not only was I scolded in-game for 'leaving a review without contacting creator first' (as if that's even a thing), but when I refused to remove the fair and honest review, she went to the Lindens flagging my review as 'hostile competitor'... Umm.. no..

PS. I no longer leave reviews of any sort, or give any feedback. If I cant submit 3 star reviews, then I won't leave 5 star reviews either. :D

Edited by entity0x

34 minutes ago, entity0x said:

If I were to purchase an item of yours, and give it a fair but maybe a disappointing review, that somehow my review should be removed? What difference would it make if I am a fellow marketer, or if I purchased the item under an alt?

As you can well imagine, I've had reviews deleted and flagged, under claims I was 'harassing' the store owner or giving an unfair review, as part of some campaign to undermine the store owner as a hostile competitor.. completely unfair.

I had been developing an alt and purchased an item from one seller, who's LODs were so out of whack, I had to leave a review about it (I remember your specialty is talking about LODs, lol :D). This item would 'blink out' (on default LOD settings) on LOD2, and therefore was impossible to take photos of oneself with it even from 5m away... In the short term I used your advice from one post to increase the LOD setting, but that shouldn't change my review. Not only was I scolded in-game for 'leaving a review without contacting creator first' (as if that's even a thing), but when I refused to remove the fair and honest review, she went to the Lindens flagging my review as 'hostile competitor'... Umm.. no..

PS. I no longer leave reviews of any sort, or give any feedback. If I cant submit 3 star reviews, then I won't leave 5 star reviews either. :D

Well in MY case (and none of the reviews were removed as way back then the competitor flag wasn't in place) each of the reviews pretty much said the same thing in about five words. Only one of the avatars reviewing had any info in their profile. And even after I put up a demo for folks to buy (there were almost always demos inworld also) they still bought and gave a one star review. So NOW that one (or ones I forget) could be flagged under that "didn't read or look" (paraphrasing) category.

Personally? I would never buy an item over a few linden without looking at the demo inworld or trying the demo provided. I seldom if ever buy a competitor's product, but this rule would hold for them also. That is why we have inworld shops and DEMOS.

I agree there are plenty of products (new and old) with very poor LODs. We cannot change the way people upload their mesh. It IS their choices and there have been MANY threads on the problem (well some of us think of it as a problem). It really is up to the consumers to pay attention to what they buy and to take the time to go see the objects inworld.

That is pretty much the ongoing chant here on the forums. 

DO NOT BUY WITHOUT A DEMO. 

AND  -- to be fair  -- creators can FLAG but they cannot remove. Customer Service is the only one that can do that and MANY "bad reviews" are not removed. Hence like I said, I don't really pay attention to the stars. If a one star review has some information that is really helpful (like yours for example maybe) I would certainly take that into consideration and make sure that I SEE THE DEMO before buying :D.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On ‎4‎/‎6‎/‎2018 at 10:21 AM, Dakota Linden said:

Hello Luna!

1-3 business days is the norm for Marketplace reports.  If you believe that a review should be looked at further, please submit a support ticket and include a direct link to the review on your product listing along with information regarding why you believe that the review should be removed and Customer Support will be able to have the issue reviewed further for you

Thanks, Dakota.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/6/2018 at 5:21 PM, Dakota Linden said:

If you believe that a review should be looked at further, please submit a support ticket and include a direct link to the review on your product listing along with information regarding why you believe that the review should be removed and Customer Support will be able to have the issue reviewed further for you. 

So that the Customer Support could reply:

"As a Service Provider, Linden Lab is not at liberty to intercede in business related issues between Second Life Users. As with any transaction among Residents, Linden Lab has very limited capacity to resolve disputes.

If you believe that the review comments are in violation of the Terms of Service, Community Standards, or the Marketplace Listing Guidelines, please report the review using the "Flag this review" link that is located directly beneath the review comments on the Product Listing."

... and close the ticket without reading?

There is a review on one of my items that is legit for removal. I have flagged it myself on April 12, and had a friend flagging it as well, it has not been removed to this day. I would like it to be looked at again, because according to Dakota Linden's post here >>

"Examples of reviews that will be removed under this option include, but are not limited to, the following:

* Item Description says '5 standard sizes' - buyer submits review saying no sizing for XXX Mesh Body type. "

This item is old and was made in the *pre-mesh body* era. Therefore it is unreasonable to expect (or to demand) it to fit mesh bodies. However, flagging by me and by a friend didn't get it removed, and creating a support ticket as Dakota suggested here, has yielded this reply ^ (see above). Is it an example of "the right hand doesn't know what the left hand is doing", or something? :S

• Sad 2

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2191 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.