Grandfathered Stipend...

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2005 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hello everyone,

I am thinking of restarting prem. membership.. but i am a grandfathered stipend receiver from 2005.. granted it's only 50L a week.. but i'm curious if i go prem. and then stop later in life.. will i lose out on my continued 50L prem for rest of life ? 

Any thoughts are appreciated,

Mag

p.s. i did do a search on this but couldnt find exactly what i wanted. 

From my understanding, as soon as you go Premium, your stipend switches to the current of L$300 per week.  If you then later drop Premium, you'll get nothing.

But... I would simply contact LL to confirm that.

If you are just wanting the land benefit of Premium, create an alt and take the alt Premium.  Then you keep you L$50 stipend and the alt gets the current L$300, which can be later dropped without penalizing your current account.

Edited by LittleMe Jewell

I actually know someone who let her $500 premium account lapse and yes, she is now  -- once again premium  -- at $300 stipend. It is NOT grandfathered and it does tell you that somewhere in the documentation. I have read it a few times just by accident :D. 

So not good for old-times to give up those accounts as they actually make money on them if they pay yearly. 

• Like 1

I am grandfathered at 400L$ a week. That's what it was back on '06 when I first signed up. I kept premium for a few years then downgraded back to basic to have an alt take over (after it switched to 300L$/week).

Only a few weeks ago I had decided to put this account back on Premium and expected the current 300L$/week.

To my surprise: I received my old amount of 400L$ a week and still do.

Apparently, whatever your stipend was when you *signed up* is what you will get, even after downgrading to basic and waiting several years to return back to Premium. So the question is: if your stipend was 50L$ a week, will it (at least) be raised to the current 300L$? It sounds like time for a support ticket to find out (which is better than just experimenting.)

EDIT: OH! I misread OP - I didn't realize it's a lifetime stipend! Yes, definitely do the alt thing! LOL

Edited by Alyona Su
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Chic Aeon said:

I actually know someone who let her $500 premium account lapse and yes, she is now  -- once again premium  -- at $300 stipend. It is NOT grandfathered and it does tell you that somewhere in the documentation. I have read it a few times just by accident :D. 

So not good for old-times to give up those accounts as they actually make money on them if they pay yearly. 

I'm willing to bet your friend is misremembering which account is which. THAT, or there is a glitch in my account that is grandfathering my stipend. I signed-up to SL literally the day they dropped from 500L$ to 400L$ (the web page still said 500L$) - I even put in a ticket to complain. I'll not bother with the canned status-quo answer I got. LOL

BUT, in any case, I re-upped this account back to Premium and I am back to my 400L$/week right now. ~Does happy dance~

(I know: 100L$ is pffft, but still...)

Edited by Alyona Su

• Administrators

I'm going to look into this.  It's one of those old knowledge things that I said to myself, "Oh yeah, it is this way", and then I second guessed myself so now I'm not sure haha.   I will find answers (or verify what I know) and then let you all know.  :)

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

I was grandfathered in at $500 on two accounts (both created in 2004), and have had premium on and off since 2010. I didn't lose my $50 stipend when I dropped premium, just as long as I did a weekly login. When I came back to premium last month, I still got my $500 on both accounts. 

Here's my $50 stipend from last month, just before I decided to upgrade to Premium on this account again:

stipend.png.04a51863871301b7b32ca021d694b830.png

I can't promise that it works like that for everyone, but for my accounts, I've had no problem dropping premium, coming back and claiming the same stipends. 

• Like 1

• Administrators
Just now, Aywren Sojourner said:

I was grandfathered in at $500 on two accounts (both created in 2004), and have had premium on and off since 2010. I didn't lose my $50 stipend when I dropped premium, just as long as I did a weekly login. When I came back to premium last month, I still got my $500 on both accounts. 

Here's my $50 stipend from last month, just before I decided to upgrade to Premium on this account again:

stipend.png.04a51863871301b7b32ca021d694b830.png

I can't promise that it works like that for everyone, but for my accounts, I've had no problem dropping premium, coming back and claiming the same stipends. 

This is how I was thinking it was - my alt accounts are also similar vintage or a bit older and I receive the L$500/wk, but I've also never left premium. 

Just now, Patch Linden said:

This is how I was thinking it was - my alt accounts are also similar vintage or a bit older and I receive the L$500/wk, but I've also never left premium. 

Yes, I've had no problem with this over the years. Again, I can't vouch for anyone else, though! Technology -- gotta love it! :)

50 L$ = 0.19 USD
Which is (ish)  2, 50 USD per year, per year!!!

You are waisting your time for a thread because off 2, 50 USD per year? You are  that desperate?

Look,  I pay you that  tommorrow in L$, for you to have less  trouble.

Do you actually have enough food in the fridge?

• Confused 1

My original avatar (early 2006) gets L$500 a week on premium, even after stopping premium for a couple of years and then going back to it. It did NOT drop to L$300 the second time round, even though the Knowledgebase says it should.  However, he's not old enough to get the L$50 as a Basic account so I have no idea what would happen in practise with that.

At best, you'd get L$500 a week as Premium, then keep L$50 a week when reverting back to Basic. At worst, you'd get L$300 a week as Premium and nothing when reverting back to Basic. Personally I wouldn't want to take the risk.

6 hours ago, Patch Linden said:

I'm going to look into this.  It's one of those old knowledge things that I said to myself, "Oh yeah, it is this way", and then I second guessed myself so now I'm not sure haha.   I will find answers (or verify what I know) and then let you all know.

Whoa a Linden.. it's been so long since i've seen one of those.. haha.. ahh the memories,.. Yeah i am from 2004.. and this toon was created in 2005.. I have a few toons that get the 50L from being grandfathered.. I would rather have the land and be able to access the prem . only areas to check them out on my main.. While i do have alts.. i just don't play them much.. i am on mag more than anything. I would love to know since im grandfathered.. would i get more than the weekly 300 ? that a premium member gets since im a original avie ? 

Thanks for all the replies.. Looking forward to what Patch can find out. 

Mag

I'm pretty sure that once upon a time someone reported differently - though it might have been a glitch or they just misunderstood what they were supposed to get.  The wiki page is not totally clear on how the older accounts are handled in this area.  In any case it is good to hear that the original stipends apply as the older accounts go in and out of Premium.  Now we know how to advise others in the future.

11 minutes ago, Magnus McGettigan said:

Whoa a Linden.. it's been so long since i've seen one of those.. haha.. ahh the memories,.. Yeah i am from 2004.. and this toon was created in 2005.. I have a few toons that get the 50L from being grandfathered.. I would rather have the land and be able to access the prem . only areas to check them out on my main.. While i do have alts.. i just don't play them much.. i am on mag more than anything. I would love to know since im grandfathered.. would i get more than the weekly 300 ? that a premium member gets since im a original avie ? 

Thanks for all the replies.. Looking forward to what Patch can find out. 

Mag

From everything said so far in this thread, combined with the wiki page, my bet is that the larger stipends only apply if you ever got it to begin with.  So if you were never Premium before, then I'm better you'll only get L$300.  The wiki specifically says that the account must have become Premium before certain dates to get the larger stipend.  We just didn't know that the higher stipends apparently held if you downgraded and then went back to Premium.

Wiki page:  https://community.secondlife.com/knowledgebase/english/premium-membership-r346

Applicable part:

image.png.e467d3e5da091c0626f89a0d46c4a1e3.png

Side note -- we actually see a few Lindens here in the forums fairly frequently these days.

Edited by LittleMe Jewell
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, carolinestravels said:

50 L$ = 0.19 USD

You are waisting your time for a thread because off 2, 50 USD per year? You are  that desperate?

i'd recommend you ask to be allowed to go back to school...

50 x 52 =?

? /250 = ?

yes it's not to get rich, but still enough to buy a new outfit.

(tip: 50L fridays)

• Like 2

10 hours ago, carolinestravels said:

50 L$ = 0.19 USD

Thanks for your comment.. I am not desperate.. but why mess up a good thing that i've had for 14 years..I do appreciate your thoughtful tact... I actually have a ton in my fridge.. i receive Home Chef meal delivery services.. 4 days a week and i also eat out quite a lot.. tbh i waste food.. haha..Shall i send you some ... so you don't go hungry ? 

XOXO  Carolinestravels...

Love Mag... 

• Like 1

FYI: Updated info:

https://community.secondlife.com/knowledgebase/english/premium-membership-r346/#Section__3_2_1

Which includes this information about grandfathered Stipends:

Stipends for old accounts

The stipend amount for older accounts depends on what type of account you have and its age.

Premium accounts created or upgraded from basic:

• On or after November 1, 2006 receive L$300 per week.
  • Between July 21, 2006 and November 1, 2006 receive L$400 per week.
  • Before July 21, 2006 receive L$500 per week.

Certain old basic accounts get a stipend; basic accounts created

• Before June 6, 2006 receive a stipend of L$50 per week, if they log in that week.
  • After June 6, 2006 do not receive a weekly stipend.

As for the OP Question:

If OP get a pure (basic or premium) 50L/week stipend, what happens if they upgrade to premium:

• Do they get the 300L + 50L?
  • DO they only get the 300L and NOT the original 50L (they lose 50L)

I do believe that is the question at hand. Or is that already answered?  LOL

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2005 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.