Jump to content
Alexa Linden

Bakes on Mesh Feedback Thread

Recommended Posts

5 hours ago, Gael Streeter said:

What is the purpose of the new AUX channels ?
I am afraid that each creator would do his/her own use of these channels and bring to incompatibilities between products.
Do I miss something ?

Well, that's pretty much the purpose of those channels for now, short for auxiliary.

Just some extra slots for what ever use people may find of em, probably going to be some heavily contested real estate that's for sure.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Gael Streeter said:

I just made some tests with the new Universal, notably on the HEAD TATTOO slot and it seems the UNIVERSAL is always ABOVE the other SKIN or TATTOO clothes without taking into account the wearing order.
Is it normal ? Why is it so ? Is it a bug ?

That is normal. Between the various wearable types, there is a standard order - for example, with upper body you would have skin, then tattoos, then universals, then shirts, then jackets. The ordering tool lets you change the ordering of wearables of the same type - say, put one universal over another - but does not let you override the ordering of wearables of different types - say, to put universals above jackets or below tattoos. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Is it possible to apply to non-wearable mesh? If so, it would greatly boost the quality of the textures of the house (baking the shadows over the texture (such as bricks) after it been tiled to the appropriate size.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, f2004w said:

Is it possible to apply to non-wearable mesh? If so, it would greatly boost the quality of the textures of the house (baking the shadows over the texture (such as bricks) after it been tiled to the appropriate size.

You can't do that. 

You can't add repetitions to one layer but not the other. Even if it were possible, everything would end being baked into a single 1024 texture so it would be the same as tiling on a 3D software and baking. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, f2004w said:

Is it possible to apply to non-wearable mesh? If so, it would greatly boost the quality of the textures of the house (baking the shadows over the texture (such as bricks) after it been tiled to the appropriate size.

No, a thousand times no.

Already too much texture memory is being used by people who don't understand the concept of texture tiling.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Vir Linden said:

That is normal. Between the various wearable types, there is a standard order - for example, with upper body you would have skin, then tattoos, then universals, then shirts, then jackets. The ordering tool lets you change the ordering of wearables of the same type - say, put one universal over another - but does not let you override the ordering of wearables of different types - say, to put universals above jackets or below tattoos. 

Thank you Vir for the answer.
So this means an Universal should NOT BE USED FOR SKINS (or other plain textures) or it will overwrite all the worn Tattoos (and Skin) below...

"for example, with upper body you would have skin, then tattoos, then universals, then shirts, then jackets."
This order is very important to know (for creators and customers), I think. Is it possible to have it fully write down in the knowledge base ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Gael Streeter said:

Thank you Vir for the answer.
So this means an Universal should NOT BE USED FOR SKINS (or other plain textures) or it will overwrite all the worn Tattoos (and Skin) below...

"for example, with upper body you would have skin, then tattoos, then universals, then shirts, then jackets."
This order is very important to know (for creators and customers), I think. Is it possible to have it fully write down in the knowledge base ?

An exception would be for new channels. The only way to add textures to the new channels currently is using universals, so you might put opaque textures on the lowest universal in the stack, then transparent ones higher up.

I'll take a look at the docs. It's likely that wearable ordering is covered somewhere, since they've been around forever, but we don't really explain them in the BOM docs.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Gael Streeter said:

Thank you Vir for the answer.
So this means an Universal should NOT BE USED FOR SKINS (or other plain textures) or it will overwrite all the worn Tattoos (and Skin) below...

"for example, with upper body you would have skin, then tattoos, then universals, then shirts, then jackets."
This order is very important to know (for creators and customers), I think. Is it possible to have it fully write down in the knowledge base ?

A complete "new generation" skin would have a "skin" wearable for the original three channels and a "universal" for the left arm and left foot channels. If left arm and foot details are done at the same scale as the main skin there would be a huge amount of wasted space in those channels, so it should be possible to use the extra space for things like nail textures, etc. Ideally, skin and body makers should start talking now about standardizing that sort of layout.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Theresa Tennyson said:

A complete "new generation" skin would have a "skin" wearable for the original three channels and a "universal" for the left arm and left foot channels. If left arm and foot details are done at the same scale as the main skin there would be a huge amount of wasted space in those channels, so it should be possible to use the extra space for things like nail textures, etc. Ideally, skin and body makers should start talking now about standardizing that sort of layout.

Sadly that's "not possible" because they had the awesome idea of not including an universal alpha among the universal tattoo so the extra channels that are meant for leg and arm among the rest are pretty much useless for a mesh body. It would have little sense on using them if you will end using alpha cut-off again. That would completely destroy the purpose of bake on mesh. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Has anyone else had issues logging in with the Bakes On Mesh viewer?

I had a lot of login bugs on the beta one, but now that I'm getting it with the default viewer it's worrying.
Usually the first login is fine, but logins after that aren't. Like I used to log in as a hunched goblin. 
Right now it's getting stuck on the loading screen, or I'll log in and my inventory will never load.

Bakes on Mesh itself is fantastic, I heavily look forward to working with it, but for some reason it doesn't like working with me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/27/2019 at 11:15 PM, Vir Linden said:

That is normal. Between the various wearable types, there is a standard order - for example, with upper body you would have skin, then tattoos, then universals, then shirts, then jackets. The ordering tool lets you change the ordering of wearables of the same type - say, put one universal over another - but does not let you override the ordering of wearables of different types - say, to put universals above jackets or below tattoos. 

Perhaps, a better solution would be to display the Universal between the Skin and the Tattoos. No ? So the Universal could be used both as Skin and Tattoos. Of course in this case the wearing order between the Universals is crucial...

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
21 hours ago, Observation Arcana said:

Has anyone else had issues logging in with the Bakes On Mesh viewer?

I had a lot of login bugs on the beta one, but now that I'm getting it with the default viewer it's worrying.
Usually the first login is fine, but logins after that aren't. Like I used to log in as a hunched goblin. 
Right now it's getting stuck on the loading screen, or I'll log in and my inventory will never load.

Bakes on Mesh itself is fantastic, I heavily look forward to working with it, but for some reason it doesn't like working with me.

I've not seen anyone else complaining yet about login issues specifically on BOM viewers.

The most likely suspect causes are:

1) Region issue - try logging into a couple of different regions & see if that fixes it.

2) You're having connection issues.  Power off your router/cable modem for a couple of minutes & reboot your computer.
That's often enough to fix transient connection issues.

3) If you have a large & flat inventory structure, your login may be timing out.
This can cause you to get disconnected soon after login or not get logged in at all.
If you do manage to get logged in fully, it can then cause problems with your inventory lot loading fully in the viewer.
If this is the problem, it will likely only affect one of your accounts.
If you clearing the viewer cache before login fixes the problem then it's fairly certain your inventory is too flat.
LL support can fix this for you quickly by running an inventory script to deflatten your inventory.

4) You said login is often getting stuck at the "loading screen".
If the login is sticking at "Loading World..." but you can hear sounds from inworld as if you are logged in & observers see you fully logged in & you don't get disconnected then it may be this bug: BUG-225655 - Viewer freezes while "Loading world..." - Intel HD 620 / Intel HD 630, Windows 10.
This bug will happen if you are on Windows 10, running a 64bit viewer version, have Intel HD 500 or 600 series graphics running a driver version later then 24.20.100.6025 AND your avatar is wearing a system jacket layer.
If you are not sure if this is your problem, in the top menu bar of the viewer, go to Help -> About Second Life, click the "Copy to clipboard" button & paste all your system information here.
You can do this from the login screem

Edited by Whirly Fizzle

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Gael Streeter said:

Perhaps, a better solution would be to display the Universal between the Skin and the Tattoos. No ? So the Universal could be used both as Skin and Tattoos. Of course in this case the wearing order between the Universals is crucial...

 

There's already a need to add a new wearable type - the "Universal Alpha", which works like the current alpha but can be used in all channels. Possibly when that wearable type is added, another wearable could be added - a "Universal Skin", which would stack immediately above the legacy skin and have slots for the new channels. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
23 minutes ago, Theresa Tennyson said:

There's already a need to add a new wearable type - the "Universal Alpha", which works like the current alpha but can be used in all channels. Possibly when that wearable type is added, another wearable could be added - a "Universal Skin", which would stack immediately above the legacy skin and have slots for the new channels. 

I suggested this long ago. I think the ideal case would have been where all old elements have it's "universal" counterparts, at least for skin, alpha and tattoos. Clothing would be good too even if it's a generic single one since it's very unlikely that people will wear more than one layer (it's very unlikely they will use even layer underwear if the mesh clothing fits right but well, still nice to get it). I really don't know why we got BOM without these basic ones because without alphas isn't like you can use any extra channel for a mesh body at all. But I also doubt they will sort that at all. I guess it was more important to make it usable as a HUD and let people easily steal skins than to make it really useful and creator friendly adding the minium required features.

Edited by Kitsune Shan
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Honestly, I like the fact that this is a feature for the one reason. That you can stack more system layers on, and really create a well put together look. So now you can add freckles, a skin eyelashes, eyebrows and tattoos without being restricted to the "onion" layers. Where you could only have one or the other, when you applied it to your mesh head. Same goes for the body, the ability to add a bit more depth and detail to your avatar, will be absolutely amazing. I can see a lot of people creating unique looks, or adding on to their existing looks.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

i am not sure if this is the right place anymore but i am having trouble using the bake on mesh skirt texture. When i use IMG_USE_BAKE_SKIRT my mesh is showing GRAY even though i was making a universal wearable for it using some textures i had. Someone experienced similar problems? maybe worth a jira?

What adds to my confusion is when i add a legacy skirt using a totally transparent texture the before mentioned texture suddenly shows!8c89d6d723813ff34503325564224164.png.a8f482dcd18a30e93fb98c949b2311fe.png

Here its Gray wearing only an universal wearable with top, bottom and skirt texture.

21e5c4675d0c8a454ffa77bdfe3814d8.png.fbdd619146598437acbc62773edc866c.png

Adding an invisible skirt, suddenly texture of the universal wearable is showing!

Edited by Babette Ultsch

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, ladylisa1993 said:

does the omega "bake on mesh converter" applier not work anymore?

I just tried it with a lara body and akeruka head, using the proper omega relays, and this is what I got:

https://gyazo.com/d2a90aee5424c22bc7f58bc95fe01f8c

 

Any hints?

From what I read in another thread, you may need to be sure that you have the latest update of the omega "bake on mesh converter".  From the other thread, the location to find the applier is: 

Go to the Omega main store in world (may want to wear sunglasses - optional.) Go through the door opening that says "Add-ons" on the floor. There will be a box on the table to your right with a purple ribbon.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, ladylisa1993 said:

does the omega "bake on mesh converter" applier not work anymore?

I just tried it with a lara body and akeruka head, using the proper omega relays, and this is what I got:

https://gyazo.com/d2a90aee5424c22bc7f58bc95fe01f8c

 

Any hints?

yes they apparently changed the UUIDs for bakes on mesh i think thats the reason the omega thing is not working anymore

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, ladylisa1993 said:

does the omega "bake on mesh converter" applier not work anymore?

I just tried it with a lara body and akeruka head, using the proper omega relays, and this is what I got:

https://gyazo.com/d2a90aee5424c22bc7f58bc95fe01f8c

 

Any hints?

yes they apparently changed the UUIDs for bakes on mesh i think thats the reason the omega thing is not working anymore

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, ladylisa1993 said:

Any hints?

The older free Omega applier for BoM no longer works. There is a newer, updated Omega applier for BoM available on the MarketPlace that costs L$125 that should work. You can find it if you search for "Bake on Mesh skin applier (Omega)" in the marketplace.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
53 minutes ago, Babette Ultsch said:

i am not sure if this is the right place anymore but i am having trouble using the bake on mesh skirt texture.

Hi Babette.

There is some weirdness and bugs around how we handle skirt textures with Bakes on Mesh, and with how we handle skirts in general. We have some related issues on the "things to fix" list.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, Vir Linden said:

Hi Babette.

There is some weirdness and bugs around how we handle skirt textures with Bakes on Mesh, and with how we handle skirts in general. We have some related issues on the "things to fix" list.

oh that helps, thanks vir

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Anyone know if Linden Labs is planning a follow-up release to Bakes on Mesh that adds material support?

All of my skin creations in the Marketplace use them, not to mention most of my third-party mods. Pretty much required for any nonhuman avatar. Half of my stuff is robotic or some other kind of nonfleshy substance!

Sometimes LL will release a feature and that's the last update you see to it for many years... Hoping that's not the case here. If mesh body creators start ripping out applier support and layers it's going to break a lot of avatars with zero workarounds until material support is added.

 

Edited by Thornotter

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Thornotter said:

Anyone know if Linden Labs is planning a follow-up release to Bakes on Mesh that adds material support?

All of my skin creations in the Marketplace use them, not to mention most of my third-party mods. Pretty much required for any nonhuman avatar. Half of my stuff is robotic or some other kind of nonfleshy substance!

Sometimes LL will release a feature and that's the last update you see to it for many years... Hoping that's not the case here. If mesh body creators start ripping out applier support and layers it's going to break a lot of avatars with zero workarounds until material support is added.

 

Materials are completely separate textures from the diffuse textures that BoM handles. You can add or modify materials exactly the same way you can now whether the mesh they're being put on is using BOM or not. The one big avatar maker who has made major changes to use make their avatar primarily use BOM still supports appliers for materials because that's currently the only way of adding them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...