Bakes on Mesh Feedback Thread

Alexa Linden
You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 897 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I dont know if Im imagining it or if this is your new baking thing going on...but I have noticed when I put on some MESH items of clothing I dont have to go into the alpha HUD and adjust it just knows what should be hidden. While I love that as it means no more bad cuts from alpha huds that cant support all designers (impossible if you ask me). However, I thought "baked on" was going to let me use my classic non mesh clothing as well. todate nothing Ive tried is going on the belleza body or my LAQ mesh head. still all going onto the system avatar body. IDK what I am doing wrong or if Im nuts.

22 minutes ago, Tenly said:

I dont know if Im imagining it or if this is your new baking thing going on...but I have noticed when I put on some MESH items of clothing I dont have to go into the alpha HUD and adjust it just knows what should be hidden. While I love that as it means no more bad cuts from alpha huds that cant support all designers (impossible if you ask me). However, I thought "baked on" was going to let me use my classic non mesh clothing as well. todate nothing Ive tried is going on the belleza body or my LAQ mesh head. still all going onto the system avatar body. IDK what I am doing wrong or if Im nuts.

What you're seeing is probably an "auto-alpha" script in the clothing that automatically turns off the appropriate alpha cuts.

"Bakes on Mesh" will only work with a special project viewer right now. What it does is take the textures that would normally be used for your system body and transfers them to a worn mesh body if that body has had certain special "magic" textures applied to it. When the viewer sees those textures it will replace them with textures that would normally go onto your system body.

• Like 2

I finally got what ONION avatar means. I did not realize that you have a mesh body and then skin is applied to a mesh body over that mesh body. and ditto for clothing. DOH. light went on. I still dont know if my belleza body is an "onion" but I guess it wont matter if this baked on stuff works. Would sure be nice to have skin makers get back to making skins that work for your head and body and not just one or the other!

For anyone interested in the new baking and onions and all that confusing stuff I found this video

• Like 1

Hello Everyone!!   Noob here :-(     I first joined 10 years ago and just forgot about SL,  but FINALLY started to seriously play.  I have, hopefully, a simple question.    FIRST - The Omega store inworld has the Bake On Mesh for FREE on the table !!!  Go get one!  Just went and got mine!!  Now my question,  with me being a noob, the problem is that the "gift" comes in a locked script form in my inventory, not packaged, that you have to use to make a HUD, I'm assuming.  Still trying to figure out how to make a HUD.  Got the prim down, just don't know how to insert the script from my inventory into it.  Not sure at all if this is what needs to be done.  But ANY and ALL suggestions would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks again  :-)

On 4/6/2018 at 8:01 AM, Nalates Urriah said:

I think bodies with alpha cuts will remain. Their purpose is to allow the body to work better with mesh clothes worn over the body. Bakes-On will NOT solve the poke-through problems alpha cuts solve. So....

The system alpha layers will also be baked onto the mesh body, so a mesh clothing maker woudl then make a alpha to be worm with the clothing, when baked on the mesh body the alpha will hide all parts, eliminating the need for any of these hud cuts

as such when using Bakes on Mesh you do NOT wear a full body alpha

Edited by Yuufarlc

3 hours ago, Yuufarlc said:

The system alpha layers will also be baked onto the mesh body, so a mesh clothing maker woudl then make a alpha to be worm with the clothing, when baked on the mesh body the alpha will hide all parts, eliminating the need for any of these hud cuts

as such when using Bakes on Mesh you do NOT wear a full body alpha

Imo, alpha cuts are for noc(not original content) that isn't made with or by the original.

Onion avatars don't need alpha cuts for the onion layers, do they?

4 hours ago, Shnurui Troughton said:

Imo, alpha cuts are for noc(not original content) that isn't made with or by the original.

They do. Each layer is cut in segments, you habe 4 faces per segment: skin , tattoo, underwear, cloth all are cut to pieces. And sadly while one would wish for Fitmesh designed for a specific body not to need those damn cuts they often still do 9_9

Edited by Fionalein

4 hours ago, Shnurui Troughton said:

Yes they do, and they have to be scripted and/or linked so they work together with the sections of the underlying "base layer", which is why current mesh bodies need to wear all their layers all the time instead of having them be removable.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Yuufarlc said:

So does that mean the return of the grey untextured avatar?  as once again we are at the mercy of SSB and poorly performing sims that mess up our textures and skins? 

The baking instructions go to separate servers over a separate communications channel - they were the first things that did that, years ago. I haven't seen or heard about problems with it for years. If there were problems, you also would see avatars wearing full-body alphas under their mesh bodies as gray sections poking through because that's how the full-body alphas get sent.

On 7/8/2018 at 1:10 AM, Jada Akina said:

Hello Everyone!!   Noob here :-(     I first joined 10 years ago and just forgot about SL,  but FINALLY started to seriously play.  I have, hopefully, a simple question.    FIRST - The Omega store inworld has the Bake On Mesh for FREE on the table !!!  Go get one!  Just went and got mine!!  Now my question,  with me being a noob, the problem is that the "gift" comes in a locked script form in my inventory, not packaged, that you have to use to make a HUD, I'm assuming.  Still trying to figure out how to make a HUD.  Got the prim down, just don't know how to insert the script from my inventory into it.  Not sure at all if this is what needs to be done.  But ANY and ALL suggestions would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks again  :-)

It already comes as a HUD - wear the appropriate object for body only, head only or head-and-body. It will be a black-gray square on the lower left part of your screen. It will only work with Omega-compatible avatars and the project viewer.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Fionalein said:

Congrats BOM folks this didn't work as intended - a major skin producer just recently kicked all their classic skins :D

What and why even?

You can't fix dumb/greed, though. I wouldn't pin that on BOM. LL is never going to dictate how people set up their assets. 

Edited by Wulfie Reanimator

2 minutes ago, Theresa Tennyson said:

Then they're going to find out if that was a good idea in a few months, won't they?

Really? Now they can sell their customers belleza and maitreya and slink skins independently, while no informed buyer should fall for this don't rely on the vast herd of consumer-cattle to behave logically.

Edited by Fionalein
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Fionalein said:

Congrats BOM folks this didn't work as intended - a major skin producer just recently kicked all their classic skins :D

If you're referring to Glam Affair, they also kicked all their appliers that are compatible with the default Maitreya/Lelutka skins to a separate store in a different region which you'd need to teleport to from their main store to get to (if the teleport link actually worked, which, as of this morning, it doesn't.) Interesting strategy all the way around...

Very close to what Curio did after they re-opened following the Late Unpleasantness, and look at how that worked out...

On 7/11/2018 at 1:54 AM, Fionalein said:

Can't say I predicted this.. but this doesn't surprise me in the least. I'm sure all the image-conscious skin makers are considering this. There's a healthy number of creators who ONLY want their stuff to appear on certain meshes. And even the folks who aren't so exclusive minded know they are going to be blamed when people try to use Bakes on mesh on stuff like hands and feet and this happens:

3c546d84ce15fb576573ebb3e89fc8a7.png

Frankly, skin makers are going to have to rush to get new system skins out that have the Mesh Friendly Textures on them. 

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, Fionalein said:

Or they ignore the feature and it is DOA ...

For a skin maker to resist this is to appeal against the thunderstorm. First of all, there are countless skins on the market already; also some skin makers will embrace this (Izzie's is already mentioning this in their new products, along with providing system assets), meaning that their competitors will be getting business. Making a mesh-friendly skin consists of putting the textures they already make for appliers into a skin.

A lot of people aren't huge fans of appliers already, especially when it comes to tattoos/makeup/etc. (By the way, Chellyne's texture shows what happens when you put a Slink foot applier texture in an applier for another foot.)

Edited by Theresa Tennyson
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Theresa Tennyson said:

(By the way, Chellyne's texture shows what happens when you put a Slink foot applier texture in an applier for another foot.)

The issue is nothing new, I already experienced that with Omega "universal" appliers.

With the appliers I had same issue as Chellynne - with nails on hands, once even with bellybutton, I got two of them, one "3D" on the mesh body, and on another spot one "2D" on the skin. It made me think that "universal" skins in some cases don't work, if they weren't made for specific bodyparts/brands, they can have those issues. And that makes me to ask - will be with system skins possible to combine mesh bodyparts from different brands? For the instance Maitreya body + Vista hands + Slink foot? Today its not problem, if they don't work properly with Omega, its possible to use separate appliers for each part. So nobody is forced to wear hands from same brand as body if they prefer another brand. Or to delete all older shoes made only for Slink foot, etc. 

1 hour ago, loverdag said:

The issue is nothing new, I already experienced that with Omega "universal" appliers.

With the appliers I had same issue as Chellynne - with nails on hands, once even with bellybutton, I got two of them, one "3D" on the mesh body, and on another spot one "2D" on the skin. It made me think that "universal" skins in some cases don't work, if they weren't made for specific bodyparts/brands, they can have those issues. And that makes me to ask - will be with system skins possible to combine mesh bodyparts from different brands? For the instance Maitreya body + Vista hands + Slink foot? Today its not problem, if they don't work properly with Omega, its possible to use separate appliers for each part. So nobody is forced to wear hands from same brand as body if they prefer another brand. Or to delete all older shoes made only for Slink foot, etc. 

For most of the skins currently on the market from the last 5 years or so you'll still be able to use appliers for hands/feet/etc - you just won't use bakes-on-mesh for those parts. Also, the only real problem areas with hands and feet are the fingertips and toes - it would be simple enough to wear a "tattoo" with the appropriate finger and toe detailing for different body parts. The Omega appliers I've seen lately appear to have most of the feet textured with a plain skin tone anyway.

Ultimately, all a skin or an applier does is send a texture file. The advantage of bakes-on-mesh is it can combine a large number of partial textures into a single texture without needing for them to be on separate mesh layers.

5 hours ago, Chellynne Bailey said:

Can't say I predicted this.. but this doesn't surprise me in the least. I'm sure all the image-conscious skin makers are considering this. There's a healthy number of creators who ONLY want their stuff to appear on certain meshes. And even the folks who aren't so exclusive minded know they are going to be blamed when people try to use Bakes on mesh on stuff like hands and feet and this happens:

3c546d84ce15fb576573ebb3e89fc8a7.png

Frankly, skin makers are going to have to rush to get new system skins out that have the Mesh Friendly Textures on them. 

I don't know about all but I consider myself as one of those of those image conscious  skin makers and that is why I never wanted to put my system skins on every mesh body using some "universal " applier. With BoM, all I have to do is make separate system skins and put specific avatar brand name on each. I suppose costumers who go through the pain of figuring out applier systems will appreciate only having to find the skin item for your particular avatar in a folder.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, CoffeeDujour said:

Please don't sell them individually ... it's a huge pain in the butt to change body and then have to track down alternate version skins

There are decent number of image conscious customers (those who dont want nails painted on their toes) too... I have to keep their interest. BTW, my skins will only be made for a few full mesh avatars with SL UV maps, not head and body match ups and neck blenders and whatnots.

Edited by Sachios Feden

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 897 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.