Regiongs blanking out today

animats

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2189 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Strange problems with some regions today. Kama Central and Clarksville sims repeatedly blanking out for me, displaying as water, while the avatar was stationary. The sims were not restarted; their last restart time didn't change. It's more like their network connections failed for a while.

• Lindens

Hi animats, 

Would you please file a jira when you see this sort of trouble in the future?  It would allow us to follow up and investigate the problem.  In this particular case, a support ticket for a restart would be great, since these are mainland, and anyone can ask for a restart.  

Thanks!

• Like 2

A JIRA? For an operational problem? Besides, I've looked at the JIRA stats. Mean time to fix a bug is measured in years.

This is the kind of thing SL's internal monitoring should catch. One would expect, after 15 years, that SL would have good internal monitoring.

Interestingly, when the sim blanked out, it blanked out for both me and another user. So it wasn't my network connection; it was somewhere closer to SL's  servers.

I've given up on reporting minor operational problems to LL. Unless it's really broken badly, I'll just get some "we can't see anything wrong" answer. Support is in denial about Vallone sim lagging badly every 10 seconds. There's a huge periodic spike in script time and "Pump I/O". Support tried to tell me that the problem was that I had a lag meter.

• Confused 1

missingquadrant_001.thumb.jpg.bf3851f56eb13597f7bec1acbd08210b.jpg

I've had this happen four times in Kama City in the last 15 minutes. It's always across a diagonal sim crossing. The region renders if I enter it; it's not offline. It renders if I get onto a sim with a common edge, not just a corner. Otherwise, I can sit there and look at water for minutes. This started about two days ago and now it's really common. The most recent region to disappear was Strute. Standard Firestorm 5.0.11, 64-bit, Linux.

Edited by animats
More info

I filed a ticket ( #1182665 ) requesting a restart.

Hiya,
I'm not sure which region has the problem & needs restarted, I *think* it's Kama Center, but may be Strute.
To repro the problem:
Login to or teleport to http://maps.secondlife.com/secondlife/Strute/198/44/36
Observed that Kama Center region is invisible from Strute.
Walk over into Vallone & observe Kama Center region then rezzes in.
Walk back over to Strute & observe that after ~30 seconds, Kama Center region derezzes.
This is the old "Kitty-Corner" bug - https://jira.secondlife.com/browse/SVC-8130
Restarting the problem region will fix it.
Thank you!

Yes, WF was just looking at this area. My bike shop is in Vallone, next to Kama Center, so I've been seeing this a lot.

onesimhole_001.thumb.jpg.2075f239f9f732bc0bf7f9515fb189d5.jpg

Here, I'm in Kama Center and can't see Clarksville. With draw distance set high, I can see sims past Clarksville. Flying over Kama Center, all four diagonally adjacent sims blank out after a while. Definite bug.

Kama Center is running Second Life RC LeTigre 18.03.29.513939

• Like 1

I submitted a support ticket asking for a restart.  4 days later I get an email from the "freshdesk" system from a Linden telling me I should have filed an abuse report for a region performance issue.  The region I was having trouble with did eventually get restarted but apparently not in response to my support ticket.

Edited by Ardy Lay
  • Confused 1

• Administrators
On 4/9/2018 at 4:43 PM, Ardy Lay said:

I submitted a support ticket asking for a restart.  4 days later I get an email from the "freshdesk" system from a Linden telling me I should have filed an abuse report for a region performance issue.  The region I was having trouble with did eventually get restarted but apparently not in response to my support ticket.

Hey Ardy,

My apologies for the problems you had with contacting support, and getting the assistance that you needed. We strive to respond to every ticket as quickly as possible, some times we have a ton of tickets though, so on occasion it may take longer for a response. I have spoken with the Supervisor for the team that handles region performance issues though and they will be looking into the matter. As well they have assured me that the correct way to have a region performance issue addressed is to submit a support ticket, so please know you did the right thing and there is no need to file an Abuse Report.

• Like 2

• Administrators

Hey Phil,

It would not have resulted in a quicker response, since the team that handles Abuse Reports, is not the same team that handles performance issues, so the Governance team wouldn't have been able to assist him in a resolution.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I was told by LL support (I think it was Izzy), that the fastest way to get a mainland region restarted was to file the ticket under "Land & Region" -> "Region Offline", even if the region isn't offline, because the Region Offline tickets are fast tracked.
I've been doing this for a while & support are VERY fast to do the requested restarts - but I always explain why I'm asking for the restart.
I filed 2 tickets for restarts over the last few days & both were done within the hour.

• Like 1

On ‎4‎/‎11‎/‎2018 at 12:41 PM, Tommy Linden said:

Hey Ardy,

My apologies for the problems you had with contacting support, and getting the assistance that you needed. We strive to respond to every ticket as quickly as possible, some times we have a ton of tickets though, so on occasion it may take longer for a response. I have spoken with the Supervisor for the team that handles region performance issues though and they will be looking into the matter. As well they have assured me that the correct way to have a region performance issue addressed is to submit a support ticket, so please know you did the right thing and there is no need to file an Abuse Report.

Thanks Tommy

I think i'm seeing this on the diagonally neighbouring sim Nari in Jeogeot i can be on my plot and Nari wont show up and will sometimes look offline on mini map but if i wander just over in to the sim it'll suddenly appear

edit:

Nari runs Bluesteel and i noticed shortly after i got the sim to show up it blanked out again

Nari_001.thumb.png.4cade8ea58f54da8311a4108ce092ada.png Naribs_001.thumb.png.b30ce9863fd0358261e5351a07145b1b.png

Edited by Claireschen Hesten

I seem to have forced this in a sandbox.

brokensandbox3.thumb.png.a2b367e3b6218b032ec533bce496e1de.png

View from a height

Note the strange cut-out sections from two sims.

brokensandbox2.thumb.png.8807f57061904af9261c9235ca9fb5b6.png

We both saw the same thing here.

If either of us entered a region, it rendered for them, but not for the other.

The disc is at (255.990, 255.990). I use this object to mark sim crossings for testing. It's just a cylinder and two rectangular prims, all phantoms.

Note how the grass area is partially missing. That cutout lines up exactly with the end of the rectangular prims.

When I deleted this object, the sims went back to normal.

Lesson: objects really close to the edge of a sim can break something.

I can see why this happens in Kama City. Every intersection has objects that overlap the four regions.

Is it worth updating https://jira.secondlife.com/browse/SVC-8130 from 2012?

(You know, just because I know how to do bug isolation doesn't mean I like spending time on this. I'd be happier if the big world Just Worked.)

Edited by animats
clarify

I am having this same problem with Laka. If I am in Poliahu, you can not see Laka. It shows Laka offline on Mini-Map at times. World map will show there are avatars in Laka, but you can not see Laka from Poliahu. If you are in Uli, you can see Laka and Poliahu. Been going on for days now. There is a pier someone has extended from Laka over into Uli protected land recently and I think it is what started this issue

Edited by SkyhawkSkyrim

7 hours ago, SkyhawkSkyrim said:

I am having this same problem with Laka. If I am in Poliahu, you can not see Laka. It shows Laka offline on Mini-Map at times. World map will show there are avatars in Laka, but you can not see Laka from Poliahu. If you are in Uli, you can see Laka and Poliahu. Been going on for days now. There is a pier someone has extended from Laka over into Uli protected land recently and I think it is what started this issue

It's the same kittycorner bug.
I filed a ticket to get the regions restarted.

Screenshot_2.png

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2189 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.