Alpha texture problem on a flush tail

MillionHeels

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2205 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

That-s a problem with alpha blending. Not only it makes a hard render time on viewers, since there are so many layers, but the Z depth alpha sorting doesn't help. Try changing the alpha mode on the textures. Also, make sure to use TGA format 32 bits to embed the transparency on its own channel for better edges, and follow the tutorial in Beq's post in this recent thread here (last post)

This should help achieving the fluffiness your fur texture needs from the alpha, which in a TGA format image can be much better quality than in a png. This way you avoid white contours and washed out semi transparencies

• Like 1

I have a similar problem with my fluffy bento tail, but I foudn it is gone when I raise the graphics quality. Maybe it's just that. If the tail is copy and edit: fool around

with the alpha settings of the textures installed, could be some tweaking there helps.

3 hours ago, Fionalein said:

I have a similar problem with my fluffy bento tail, but I foudn it is gone when I raise the graphics quality. Maybe it's just that. If the tail is copy and edit: fool around

with the alpha settings of the textures installed, could be some tweaking there helps.

Yes it is, the effect vanishes with a graphics quality increase, usually. However this won't fix it for everyone. Creators can't expect people to change viewer settings to display stuff correctly, it's the creator's role to ensure that the item can be displayed by the broader audience possible.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, OptimoMaximo said:

Yes it is, the effect vanishes with a graphics quality increase, usually. However this won't fix it for everyone. Creators can't expect people to change viewer settings to display stuff correctly, it's the creator's role to ensure that the item can be displayed by the broader audience possible.

AH, one more question, the Beq's tutorial you mentioned about , I can't find it on youtube , do you know the full name of the tutorial ? or a link would be great ^^

One of the nicest summaries of the strategies commonly used to cope with alpha sorting is still Chosen Few's post in the old SL forums at http://forums-archive.secondlife.com/109/32/80851/1.html  .  Scroll down a bit until you get the the "white halo" discussion. The plugin for correcting the "white halo" is certainly one solution, but not necessarily the best one in all cases, so it's good to have other tools in your toolbox.

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2205 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.