underwater home?

Ernesto Perez

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1147 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

As far as I know the only method is by using invisiprims and deactivating advanced lighting. It will still appear to be under water for most of your guests though.

PS: Oh just had a an lightbulb event (experienced windlight wizards please shatter it if wrong)

You perhaps can build a box shaped house underwater with a different windlight if you can manage to subdivide your parcel into a small enough parcel with a low enough different height for the windlight.

Edited by Fionalein

I suspect this invisible prim must be sculpted megaprim to accurately fit room. But when you are inside this megaprim, then you see anyway only this prim faces, not content. Content you see when you stand outside prim, example half transparent light prim (altough they are also prim faces). Im totally confused. I wasnt never before put something underwater. I just get idea. In marketplace there is some undrewater houses, but there is no description about them and have no idea how they look underwater in reality.

Edited by Ernesto Perez

Not possible.

There is no water in SL

There is a level for the water line and your viewer paints a water surface at that level. If you are under the water level your viewer will switch to blurry view to simulate that you are "under water". Means of course the "water" is everywhere. Since it doesn't exist you cant pump it out of your house. :)

Invisiprims are obsolete and most residents see only grey prims instead.

15 hours ago, Ernesto Perez said:

Im totally confused. I wasnt never before put something underwater.

Yes, we can tell you are confused.

I’m sure you searched other forum threads before you made the post. You are not the first to ask this question recently.

Your suggestion of sculpted megaprim invisiprim won’t work for a lot of reasons. 

1 hour ago, Nova Convair said:

Not possible.

There is no water in SL

There is a level for the water line and your viewer paints a water surface at that level. If you are under the water level your viewer will switch to blurry view to simulate that you are "under water". Means of course the "water" is everywhere. Since it doesn't exist you cant pump it out of your house. :)

Invisiprims are obsolete and most residents see only grey prims instead.

Yes, but problem is "your viewer will switch to blurry". Its normal that it switch. But to fix this, you must compensate this with some megaprim or many megaprims  

SL has "water settings" that work just like windlights, but for when you are "under water".

You can set your viewers "water" to look like air, in a sub divided parcel that matches the house, that's the only way you can do this. 

NO amount of invisiprims or mega prims will fix it, invisiprims basically no longer work for many SL residents, and should be phased out as obsolete crap.

In addition, the windlight/water settings you use are ONLY for you.

Until EEP comes in and allows parcel based settings and forcing those on visitors.

Basically... you CANNOT do what you want to do in any reliable or believeable manner.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

So, I understand this underwater buildings is right now not jet implemented and not possible. Do Linden also told when this feature implemented in future or not at all. Some future planning?......Because in marketplace there is lots of underwater houses and when customers buy those buildings, then they dont get what they want and its not very fair.......And yes, now I remember what was invisiprim, I forgot it.......When all those underwater homes are made by invisitexture scripts and its not working anymore with new viewers, then its little problematic, because people already payed money for those houses. Someone must take responsibility. And also must stop this marketing.

Edited by Ernesto Perez

Back in the day, invisiprim textures would hide the water surface, but they had horrid artifacts, so avatars (etc.) would look very strange when passing through those invisiprims. They were never quite fit to purpose, but at least they kept the bottom of boats looking "dry". They're useless now.

I've heard no announced plan to address this water surface problem, but the windlight effects of "underwater" lighting, fog/blur, etc., etc., will be possible to script per individual user when the Enhanced Environment Project is complete. There is no known schedule for that, but it is getting active developer attention now, and was listed in Ebbe's 15th anniversary goals. Such a script would track* visiting avatar locations and set their Windlight parameters accordingly, so "underwater" Windlight could be simply replaced by normal above water Windlight within the submerged enclosure.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Ernesto Perez said:

So, I understand this underwater buildings is right now not jet implemented and not possible

Underwater buildings ARE possible, you just can't waterproof them or pump them out...

Do Linden also told when this feature implemented in future

No.

Some future planning?...

Don't hold your breath... Unless you are in an underwater house of course...

Because in marketplace there is lots of underwater houses and when customers buy those buildings, then they dont get what they want and its not very fair....

"Let the buyer beware" is Standard Operating Procedue in SL's Anarcho-Capitalist Business Market, there is virtually NO Trading standards or Consumer Rights Legislation in SL.

Someone must take responsibility

LL won't, and neither will most of the vendors.

And also must stop this marketing.

Good luck with that.

3 hours ago, Klytyna said:

Underwater buildings ARE possible, you just can't waterproof them or pump them out...

No, then they ARE NOT underwater buildings.

"Let the buyer beware" is Standard Operating Procedue in SL's Anarcho-Capitalist Business Market, there is virtually NO Trading standards or Consumer Rights Legislation in SL.

Who told you about "anarcho-capitalism"? From where you learned it. Personally I never sell something that dont work as expected. I just dont cheat customers. And we still have mechanism also to force others sellers not to cheat. Example I can stay endlessly mention this, name sellers names until they just die.  But from other point of view this is not also sellers fault only, because in moment when they put product for sale, waterproof buildings worked as expected. But they must not continue marketing, when they know that underwater buildings dont work anymore.

Despite Klytyna, New Babbage has several impressive underwater houses.

underwaterhouse.thumb.png.4ac189746ac66f74e4cb4b51c845e4f9.png

Access tunnel

underwaterhouse2_001.thumb.jpg.69b07991eeabe6ef7f903b39d5e9a419.jpg

House interior

To visit, go here.

You're on the shore end of a pier. Walk to the end of the pier out in the Vernian Sea. Take the elevator down into the ocean. Follow the underwater glassed in corridor straight until you see the underwater house on the right. Go up the steps and through two airlocks to reach the house.

After you've seen the house, with all its clarity,  go back up top and take a good look above and below the ocean.

• Like 2

Also try to look at the old but good underwater laboratory builds by Aley (can be viewed at the Aley Museum in mieville). As the New Babbage and Aley's examples clearly show, there is no need to remove that "indoor" water from the home.

• Like 2

IF you really wanted the look, you could technically landscape above water levels and fill in the empty spaces with phantom water prims.. but then you run across the issue of the lines and such that come with faces, so it wouldn’t look nearly as fun. Or simply texture your windows with water textures and change the opacity. :) on the plus side, you cannot drown in SL unless you try REALLY hard. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, norajulian said:

...:) on the plus side, you cannot drown in SL unless you try REALLY hard. 

Shhh, keep that one a secret, the SLCG guys could be thrown into an existential crisis if they ever find out.

Edited by Fionalein

• 2 years later...
On 4/3/2018 at 2:03 PM, Ernesto Perez said:

Hi, how to make underwater home looks like there is no water? Water must stay only outside home.

You can't because while you can remove the view of water with the advanced menus, it will still be there for visitors or even you when you go up to the surface and back.

You can try fiddling with various prims and mesh and backdrops and lighting to try to defeat this maddening problem of water being inside your home and outside, but they don't work very well, they only distract from an illusion that doesn't work.

I believe it is not possible to do now, having tried it many ways, including with this wonderful "sea hole" sort of build with lots of coral and stuff in it that looks great underwater. Except it get annoying as you can't displace the water as you could in RL inside a sealed little cabin or cubby or something.

So what you can do is go up in the air in the sky and make a simulated underwater there, and try things there. I personally don't like fiddling with EEP, which you have to get just right so it doesn't keep breaking your dark underwater set-up.

I would say: sail on top of, and under the sea. Just don't live there. It's not necessary. Live on the shore.

Edited by Prokofy Neva

On 4/4/2018 at 4:03 PM, Ernesto Perez said:

So, I understand this underwater buildings is right now not jet implemented and not possible. Do Linden also told when this feature implemented in future or not at all. Some future planning?......Because in marketplace there is lots of underwater houses and when customers buy those buildings, then they dont get what they want and its not very fair.......And yes, now I remember what was invisiprim, I forgot it.......When all those underwater homes are made by invisitexture scripts and its not working anymore with new viewers, then its little problematic, because people already payed money for those houses. Someone must take responsibility. And also must stop this marketing.

I agree. I'm lucky a submarine I bought and put under water is rented by a guy who just wants to keep the water next to him clear. I have underwater caves that work alright because you expect water in a cave (see them in Ross around Pharos Island). Some very old underwater houses I have where they were trying in various ways to light or distract just annoy. There is no central authority to compensate your failed experiments and it is not due to anarcho-capitalism, but I'd say anarcho-communism, but let's not split hairs here. Linden does not get involved in player-to-player disputes. So you leave a bad review to that house seller -- who likely doesn't even have an avatar let alone a store inworld but fled to Fortnite or wherever. I always check to see if the person selling anything on the MP is a) still here and answering IMs and b) has a store at the URL they say, instead of abandoned land or some new thing unrelated to them.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1147 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.