Most discriminated against group of avatars

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2129 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

27 minutes ago, Callum Meriman said:

I mostly wore a kid avatar for the best part of a decade. I still have one I can pull out when dress code requires, but in the end the number of people who hurled verbal abuse at me when I was out shopping was too much to keep going.

It's a small community on a very limited number of regions, 99% are very decent people who have put up with a lot of exclusion, even the lab saying "You are not welcome to participate". (That was for SL5B). And it's the only group in SL that has a zero-tolerance axe over their necks, that also gets very tiring.

So, what about babyfurs? You’d think they are cute, less threatening than kids. Why are they disliked?

1 hour ago, Female Winslet said:

I would be very thankful if we could discuss the topic of this thread. Thanks.

But when people do that, you keep changing the topic. See the 2nd and 3rd posts on page 3. I'm not sure that you know what the topic actually is, even though you started it.

Edited by Phil Deakins
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Phil Deakins said:

But when people do that, you keep changing the topic. See the 2nd and 3rd posts on page 3. I'm not sure that you know what the topic actually is, even though you started it.

I tried to bring it back on-topic..

*Edit* Maybe they just want us to discuss Furry discrimination?

Edited by Love Zhaoying
  • Thanks 1

You know, I never thought of child avatars as a candidate for most discrimination. But that might make a whole lot of sense given the special rules and restrictions that LL has for them. Also would explain why child avatars have gotten so rare.

I did recently find myself chatting with a vampire yesterday, so I learned they do still exist in SL! :-) I think she was involved in Bloodlines even. But I wonder if a degree of ability to hide in plain sight helps protect them from discrimination.

18 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

It’s difficult to tell if we are supposed to be discussing what is on the post title (broad focus) or in the original post (narrower focus).

Well, I thought my topic line and my original post were pretty matched in focus, but if there is a difference, I guess my preference would be if we could stick to something at least tangentially related to one of them. More than anything, I was just reacting to the loss of civility that seemed to be starting. I started my first av about 12 years ago and I've always found the SL community to be polite and civil most of the time. I know discrimination gets to be a hard topic to keep a cool head about, including for me. But would just be nice if we could  all try to maintain the civility on the forums that we have in world. I probably let myself get a little caught up in it for a moment too, so I will also try to do better.

Edited by Female Winslet

But the lack of civility is against avatar types - exactly what you asked about - but then you find fault with that because because they humans at the keyboard, and not avatars. I've no idea what you want, and I'm not sure that you have either.

Edited by Phil Deakins

7 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

Maybe it’s a broader category of “types” as given by the focus on Furry’s. Perhaps “humans” and “everyone else”. 

In twelve years in SL, I have only been two things. Human and furry. That leaves me in a very poor position to speak to what it's like to be anything else. I've never had a vampire, child, etc. avatar and hence cannot speak from that perspective. But that doesn't mean I intended the whole thread to focus on furries. 

2 minutes ago, Phil Deakins said:

But the lack of civility is against avatar types - exactly what you asked about - but then you find fault with that because because they humans at the keyboard, and not avatars. I've no idea what you want, and I'm not sure that you have either.

I guess I am at a loss to understand how the way we treat the avatar is any different from the way we treat the person behind the screen. Since we all interact via avatars, I think the two are one and the same. If I'm being nice to you, you see my avatar saying and doing nice things to your avatar. And vice versa. Either way, the real communication is between the people behind the keyboards. It's really two people behind the keyboards being nice (or not) to one another. I'm sorry, but the idea that there are real people behind the screens for every avatar is so fundamental to me that I don't really know how to explain it. 

The one exception being roleplaying games, I suppose. :-) 

5 hours ago, Phil Deakins said:

and I am still waiting to hear what the OP meant by discrimination. lol

6 hours ago, Love Zhaoying said:

So, what about babyfurs? You’d think they are cute, less threatening than kids. Why are they disliked?

I said earlier Love, read back a little.

Effectively these are kid furries, yet they are discriminated against by Furries as well as adults and other kids too.

1 minute ago, Callum Meriman said:

I said earlier Love, read back a little.

Effectively these are kid furries, yet they are discriminated against by Furries as well as adults and other kids too.

I thought you said you were a kid, not a kid furry. I did read what you wrote earlier (quoted above) but guess I was hoping for more detail. My bad!

Now, in my personal experience, “Tinies” and “Tiny furs” aren’t treated as badly.

1 minute ago, Love Zhaoying said:

I thought you said you were a kid, not a kid furry.

Yes, I was a kid for the best part of a decade. This is what i said, right before you said Kids deserved to be discriminated against.

7 hours ago, Callum Meriman said:

and babyfurs. They are hated by the furries, they are hated by adults, they are hated by other kids.

And no, tinies are generally liked, but I don't see many any more.

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Callum Meriman said:

Most discriminated against group of avatars: Babyfurs.

Missed this, sorry.

8 hours ago, Callum Meriman said:

and babyfurs. They are hated by the furries, they are hated by adults, they are hated by other kids.

Seriously, that’s harsh!

• 2 months later...
On 4/3/2018 at 7:39 PM, LittleMe Jewell said:

The latest folks to be discriminated against in SL are Flyers.  I am now getting booted from many sims because I'm in fly mode when I TP in and I don't land fast enough.  Hell, last night I got booted 20 seconds after the TP and the message said that I was banned for 600 minutes - i.e. 10 hours, for not landing fast enough. 

I don't understand what they even have against flying ?

16 minutes ago, Elinah Iredell said:

I don't understand what they even have against flying ?

it ruins their roleplay.

Years ago i was an officer on a demon rp sim. On of the other officers decided to make a "no flying unless you have wings" rule.

i dont like rules so i asked what she would do if she caught me flying.

she replied that she would kill me. (the sim was life enabled).

so, i pulled out a gun, said you owe me one, killed her and tped out.

9 minutes ago, Zeta Vandyke said:

That's an odd statement for someone being an officer on a rp sim. Or maybe it was odd you were an officer then :)

in my mind if you are a demon you dont obey rules. and yes i was an officer because i was best friends with the group owner. i later left the group over a disagreement about demons personal pets

Edited by Phorumities
added a few lines
  • Confused 2

1 hour ago, Phorumities said:

in my mind if you are a demon you dont obey rules. and yes i was an officer because i was best friends with the group owner. i later left the group over a disagreement about demons personal pets

Why would you think Demons dont obey rules? They may look for any and all loopholes, but not directly break the rules.

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2129 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.