What to do after uploading ?

Henriquebg88

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2214 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

This is my first topic, and i am new here. 
I am a professional 3D artist who works with Blender, and recently i have been requested to make some objects for the game. 

But i need some guide after uploading the mesh. Like, how to set up the textures, the materials (shaders), how to set the interations the object will have... all these things are done ingame, and i have never played this before. 

Could someone point me a guide please? 

4 hours ago, Henriquebg88 said:

This is my first topic, and i am new here. 
I am a professional 3D artist who works with Blender, and recently i have been requested to make some objects for the game. 

But i need some guide after uploading the mesh. Like, how to set up the textures, the materials (shaders), how to set the interations the object will have... all these things are done ingame, and i have never played this before. 

Could someone point me a guide please? 

Me watches with interest, hoping one appears.

Most of us have had to discover these things from using the tools in-world, and BTW we never call it a game.

My advice would be to search this forum for posts by Aquila Kytori.  There are others, notably OptimoMaximo, Chic Aeon and Chinrey, Aquila does the best annotated picture guides though.

3 hours ago, anna2358 said:

Me watches with interest, hoping one appears.

Most of us have had to discover these things from using the tools in-world, and BTW we never call it a game.

My advice would be to search this forum for posts by Aquila Kytori.  There are others, notably OptimoMaximo, Chic Aeon and Chinrey, Aquila does the best annotated picture guides though.

Thanks. I'll take a look at them.

11 hours ago, Henriquebg88 said:

Like, how to set up the textures,

In SL, setting up a material on a selection of faces will translate into a separately texturable surface. You can have up to 8 materials per Collada file.

, the materials (shaders),

There aren't shaders to work on, its only one shader. It's an odd mix between the legacy pre-rendered diffuse color only, and a spec/gloss approach. You can read about tech specs here

how to set the interations the object will have

That is done via scripting, if you are planning on having the object do something, say, on click. Just run a google search for LSL scripting. There are many free examples available too.

In the (hopefully) near future we willalso have the introduction of AniMesh objects, basically rigged animated objects that don't have necessarily to be attached to the avatar itself. So, rigging first. Working with Blender, your best bet is to buy Avastar add-on. Which also helps with the compatibility issues between Blender and SL.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, OptimoMaximo said:

In SL, setting up a material on a selection of faces will translate into a separately texturable surface. You can have up to 8 materials per Collada file.

There aren't shaders to work on, its only one shader. It's an odd mix between the legacy pre-rendered diffuse color only, and a spec/gloss approach. You can read about tech specs here

That is done via scripting, if you are planning on having the object do something, say, on click. Just run a google search for LSL scripting. There are many free examples available too.

In the (hopefully) near future we willalso have the introduction of AniMesh objects, basically rigged animated objects that don't have necessarily to be attached to the avatar itself. So, rigging first. Working with Blender, your best bet is to buy Avastar add-on. Which also helps with the compatibility issues between Blender and SL.

Thanks for the info! It helped a lot already

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2214 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.