zeelldaaa

How can I complain about a store or creator

Question

I bought yesterday a New realistic complete avatar  sold and created by [REDACTED]. The avatar supose to include all mesh parts and a state of art product. The Avi was delivered to my received file but when I wear it nothing was included and it look the same as all avi no mesh look no sling feet or hand  or any of  the description about it where not included and even I can not edit the shape. This Avi cost me almost 13000 LS. I tried to communicate with the creator and he's store no answer until now. What I'm I suppose to do???? 

Edited by Dakota Linden
Username Redacted

12 answers to this question

1 hour ago, zeelldaaa said:

I bought yesterday a New realistic complete avatar  sold and created by [name removed]. The avatar supose to include all mesh parts and a state of art product. The Avi was delivered to my received file but when I wear it nothing was included and it look the same as all avi no mesh look no sling feet or hand  or any of  the description about it where not included and even I can not edit the shape. This Avi cost me almost 13000 LS. I tried to communicate with the creator and he's store no answer until now. What I'm I suppose to do???? 

Firstly you need to remove the creators name  from this post as its not allowed to name people on the forums. (Although in this case I wish it wasn't so in order to warn others) Secondly if you bought it from the MP you can flag the item.  I am sorry this has happened to you but to me it looks like that is not at all what it says. You should also leave a review on it detailing what you actually got on purchase and finally send an abuse report inworld on the creator 

1. There is no DEMO

2.  It is very expensive

3.  Only one single item in the store

4.  Creators profile is completely blank

These are all flags that the item is sold as some sort of scam and I am sorry you have lost money in this way :(

Edited by Cindy Evanier
typo
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 2

Unfortunately this looks like a scam.
The images used for the listing look like a render, not images taken in SL.
Doing a reverse image search finds the same images on various pr0n sites from 2014-2015.

Flag the listing on the marketplace as "Item not as advertised"

You could also file an abuse report against the seller.

Edited by Whirly Fizzle
  • Like 4

21 minutes ago, Lillith Hapmouche said:

Wait, this isn't an April's Fool post?

The bit about @Whirly Fizzle googling pr0n?   nope sadly  that is a weird addiction

Edited by Cindy Evanier
  • Haha 4

@Cindy Evanier, cut that out.  This forum is no place for personal animosities.

@zeelldaaa, you have run into an example of the "Empty Box Scam".  In this scam, a thief creates a new, throwaway account.  He steals advertising images from a real creator's store, or (as in this case) from the internet, and sets up a store on the Marketplace selling what appear to be high quality, expensive items.  But if you buy one, all you receive is an empty box.

You should log into your viewer, and go to Help/Report Abuse.  File an Abuse Report against the person who sold you the item.  Also, in the Marketplace, flag the item and leave a negative review.  This MAY get the scammer stopped.  It probably will not get you a refund.

In the future:

• Beware of very new avatars selling high quality, expensive items on the Marketplace, especially if they do not offer a free demo, and/or they do not have a store in-world.  You can check an account's age by looking up their profile.
  • Before spending a lot of money on a product, do some research to determine that type of product's market value.  $L13,000 is way too much to pay for a mesh avatar, even a "complete" one.  The popular mesh bodies and heads by creators like Maitreya, Belleza, SLink, and others sell for around $L5,000.  There are even some free "starter" mesh bodies out there.
  • Before buying an expensive product, try the demo version!  Almost all legitimate body and head creators provide demo versions of their products.

5 minutes ago, Lindal Kidd said:

@Cindy Evanier, cut that out.  This forum is no place for personal animosities.

Sorry Mum  *throws a mini egg at you*

• Haha 2

3 minutes ago, Cindy Evanier said:

Sorry Mum  *throws a mini egg at you*

Yum!  Chocolate!  Gosh, I love Easter.  (May yours be happy!)

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Whirly Fizzle said:

The images used for the listing look like a render, not images taken in SL.
Doing a reverse image search finds the same images on various pr0n sites from 2014-2015.

Judging by the slightly doughy facial features, I'm guessing it's a Genesis Vicky 5 or later, in Poser, probably from a gallery by one of the less well known artists on Renderotica...

But thats just a guess... I can't be bothered to look.

• Thanks 1

But the OT has an important point there. How do we complain about bad or fishy creators? Let me tell you something from my experience: There is this shop owner who tried to seduce me, and I have the strong suspicion he does with every well looking female that enters his store. But his ass is covered as he can hide behind the invulnerability of IMs. RLs has a cascade of legally protected interests in most civiliced countries, allowing you to break an inferior valued interest to protect one of higher value... but SL does not have this cascade. What can I do? I asume nothing, in RL that shop would by now be closed, because some SJWs (yes they are not always bad and good for some things too ;) )  would have most likely made shopping there a living hell.

Let's spin this ideas further: Let's asume someone reveals something illegal to me in an SL IM. I could not even warn fellow SL residents about that illegal stuff I was just told about in the IMs because those still are protected. I can file an AR on the IMs, but I could not warn fellow residents and would have to wait until the Lindens reacted, right?

Edited by Fionalein

18 minutes ago, Fionalein said:

But the OT has an important point there. How do we complain about bad or fishy creators? Let me tell you something from my experience: There is this shop owner who tried to seduce me, and I have the strong suspicion he does with every well looking female that enters his store. But his ass is covered as he can hide behind the invulnerability of IMs. RLs has a cascade of legally protected interests in most civiliced countries, allowing you to break an inferior valued interest to protect one of higher value... but SL does not have this cascade. What can I do? I asume nothing, in RL that shop would by now be closed, because some SJWs (yes they are not always bad and good for some things too ;) )  would have most likely made shopping there a living hell.

Let's spin this ideas further: Let's asume someone reveals something illegal to me in an SL IM. I could not even warn fellow SL residents about that illegal stuff I was just told about in the IMs because those still are protected. I can file an AR on the IMs, but I could not warn fellow residents and would have to wait until the Lindens reacted, right?

The no posting of chat logs rule only covers SL and it's forum, it does not cover anywhere else. There's privately owned SL forums out there, one of which is incredibly popular, there's also the option of making a blog and posting about it and directing people to there. You do have options to warn someone, just unfortunately not within the official SL environment.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

@Fionalein,

You have a couple of misapprehensions going on here.

First, you don't have to put up with unwelcome come-ons, from shop owners or anyone else.  Muting them, and then refusing to patronize their store, is the best immediate response.

Second, IMs are not as protected as you seem to believe.  While you cannot copy and paste IM logs without the consent of the other party(s) involved, there is nothing at all that says you cannot tell your friends that so-and-so is a smarmy horndog and they ought to be wary of him.  You can even paraphrase, e.g., "yeah, this guy started out telling me how hot I was and then offered me free products if I'd sleep with him."  What you cannot do is copy and paste the conversation verbatim.  And as Syn points out, you can even do that, if you do it on your own blog or in a third party forum...just not in SL or here on the SL official forums.

As for someone revealing something illegal in an IM...illegal where?  In Real Life?  If someone tells you that he's going to go shoot up his school, you should immediately contact the RL authorities.  In the US, that'd be the FBI.  In SL, there is no "illegal"; there is only the ToS (and the Community Standards, and other referenced LL policies).  If someone tells you they are copybotting all of Truth Hawks' hair styles, or something like that, you can certainly pass that information on to LL, and you can ALSO let Truth Hawks know about it.  You can even tell your friends about your strange encounter.  Again, what you can't do is copy and paste the IM logs verbatim.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Thank you both for helping me with those misconceptions.

Edited by Fionalein