Computer Crashes with Firestorm

UltraKirby123

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1932 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

So, recently I've been having this problem where I'll be using firestorm perfectly fine, then randomly my computer shuts off, then comes back on. I checked to see if my computer was overheating, and all of the temperatures are fine and not really hot at all. I've updated graphic drivers, done a clean install of Firestorm and yet the problem still persists. I tried seeing if the problem happens in other games, like Overwatch, but that ran fine and didn't crash the computer. This has never happened before, and things was fine until recently. I attached my computer specs in case that helps at all. Does anyone possibly have a solution?

2018-03-31.png

18 answers to this question

The parts give it away that it's a desktop machine and it's stated that the temperatures were monitored and showed nothing out of the ordinary.

Well. What has changed recently, when the problem began to occur? 
Do you get any kind of error log from Windows? Check https://www.howtogeek.com/222730/how-to-find-out-why-your-windows-pc-crashed-or-froze/ for example on how to review crash logs.

Do you encounter the same problem with other SL viewers?

• Like 2

If this is a new computer, it's possible you have some bad memory.  Get Memtest86 here: https://www.memtest86.com/  Follow the instructions to unpack and install it on bootable media, like a USB stick.  Be patient, it will take a while to run several passes.

Another possibility is power fluctuations.  Do the lights flicker just before your computer shuts off?  (I am assuming here that your PC actually IS crashing completely...a total shutoff, or a complete failure of Windows followed by a reboot.)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Lillith Hapmouche said:

The parts give it away that it's a desktop machine and it's stated that the temperatures were monitored and showed nothing out of the ordinary.

Well. What has changed recently, when the problem began to occur? 
Do you get any kind of error log from Windows? Check https://www.howtogeek.com/222730/how-to-find-out-why-your-windows-pc-crashed-or-froze/ for example on how to review crash logs.

Do you encounter the same problem with other SL viewers?

I haven't really changed anything that I can recall. I don't get a error log at all, it just shuts off, then boots back up.

I just tested the original Second Life viewer, and it crashed with this as well. So I guess it's not a problem with Firestorm itself.

13 hours ago, Lindal Kidd said:

If this is a new computer, it's possible you have some bad memory.  Get Memtest86 here: https://www.memtest86.com/  Follow the instructions to unpack and install it on bootable media, like a USB stick.  Be patient, it will take a while to run several passes.

Another possibility is power fluctuations.  Do the lights flicker just before your computer shuts off?  (I am assuming here that your PC actually IS crashing completely...a total shutoff, or a complete failure of Windows followed by a reboot.)

So I did the test I believe everything seems to be in order there. Here's the test results.

https://1drv.ms/u/s!AuoMuV-XF_o7qBLjbfnUfk5PCl4w

And no, I don't notice any sort of weird power fluctuations. My computer does in fact shut completely off, then just comes right back on. Only happens when I run second life for a random amount of time.

51 minutes ago, Callum Meriman said:

If you've overclocked the CPU in BIOS, wind it back to standard.

How would I go about doing that? Excuse me, am kind of a computer noob here. I think my builder overclocked the PC, however.

26 minutes ago, UltraKirby123 said:

So I did the test I believe everything seems to be in order there. Here's the test results.

https://1drv.ms/u/s!AuoMuV-XF_o7qBLjbfnUfk5PCl4w

And no, I don't notice any sort of weird power fluctuations. My computer does in fact shut completely off, then just comes right back on. Only happens when I run second life for a random amount of time.

How would I go about doing that? Excuse me, am kind of a computer noob here. I think my builder overclocked the PC, however.

Ouch.  It really printed out all that stuff?  There should've been a summary line that just said something like PASSED.

Aha.  That second point may be a telling one.  I overclocked my system at one point, and it produced exactly that error...it would, at random intervals, crash out of Windows and back to a black screen, then reboot.  Or, the system would simply freeze up.  The mouse and keyboard stopped responding, and sometimes the PC box itself made a distressed whining sound.  I had to do a hard power off to reboot and get things up and running again.  Depending on how hard I overclocked, it would do this with other applications, not just SL...but MOST of the crashes were experienced while using SL.

How to un-overclock depends on your system.  Lots of motherboard makers include a handy overclocking utility.  My motherboard is from ASROCK, and the utility is called "A-Tuning".  Other makers have their own overclocking applications.  Or you can go into your BIOS (reboot, and hit the DEL key after that message appears but before Windows starts to load).  Then simply navigate to the Restore Defaults option, save changes, and reboot.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Lindal Kidd said:

Ouch.  It really printed out all that stuff?  There should've been a summary line that just said something like PASSED.

Aha.  That second point may be a telling one.  I overclocked my system at one point, and it produced exactly that error...it would, at random intervals, crash out of Windows and back to a black screen, then reboot.  Or, the system would simply freeze up.  The mouse and keyboard stopped responding, and sometimes the PC box itself made a distressed whining sound.  I had to do a hard power off to reboot and get things up and running again.  Depending on how hard I overclocked, it would do this with other applications, not just SL...but MOST of the crashes were experienced while using SL.

How to un-overclock depends on your system.  Lots of motherboard makers include a handy overclocking utility.  My motherboard is from ASROCK, and the utility is called "A-Tuning".  Other makers have their own overclocking applications.  Or you can go into your BIOS (reboot, and hit the DEL key after that message appears but before Windows starts to load).  Then simply navigate to the Restore Defaults option, save changes, and reboot.

Just really odd that it would start causing problems now. I've been using SL with this computer since I got it, and it only recently started doing this. I maaay have to message my builder's technical support. Though don't know how far that will go considering how different SL is compared to most games.

53 minutes ago, UltraKirby123 said:

Just really odd that it would start causing problems now. I've been using SL with this computer since I got it, and it only recently started doing this. I maaay have to message my builder's technical support. Though don't know how far that will go considering how different SL is compared to most games.

Hey there :)

I just want to touch up on your confusion as to why something like this would suddenly happen when things have been smooth sailing till then. Computer parts degrade over time, as does the system and software. Everything ages from the moment you start using it, sometimes a system can already be ancient before the computer is even turned on if it's been sitting in the store for over a year.
There's some handy programs out there to keep your system healthy, that will clean it up and polish it, in addition make sure to not only keep your graphic card drivers up to date, mainbords and BIO's and other components need love too. Granted not so much, but there is the occassional update :P

This is why your overclocked comp seems to have run SL just fine for a while and then starts being difficult about it. It almost always starts this way, just one programm is affected and it's hard to figure out why. People are quick to blame said programm when that's not the case. SL is very resource intensive, much more so than other 'games' so it's not surprising you're having issues running SL yet not anything else. Those other programms will eventually start acting up too though.

Either way, while the overclocking might be root of the issue it causes a hardware malfunction that turns your computer off. It might be the most random thing, too. If you have one at hand or can borrow one, try another main power cable. A friend had it before that her comp was being troubleshooted high and low and no cause for her own comp turning off issue could be found until someone actually took a look not at the comp but the cable and it turned out it malfunctioned causing a power fluctuation that would turn her comp off at random times. She got a new one for a few bucks and all was well. A super easy and quick fix that no one thought off at first :P

Definitely get in touch with the store where you bought the machine and let them fix their mess, especially if still might be under warranty.

By guts' instinct, I'm leaning towards some problem with the power supply or a hardware defect, most likely in the Mainboard / RAM department.
Do you know why you got an extra 24pin power cable? Was the original one too short? 
Do all power cables firmly connect to the power supply itself? It is a fully modular one, which means that unneeded cables can be removed. Would be rare, but maybe a connection might have unfasten over time, perhaps if you moved the machine around... 
When you check that, turn the whole machine off and unplug it. Do not touch parts while the computer is running.

As for a potential hardware defect, I notice that your RAM is listed as "Origin", which seems to be the store, right?
I'm quite wary of no-name components... 

35 minutes ago, Lillith Hapmouche said:

Definitely get in touch with the store where you bought the machine and let them fix their mess, especially if still might be under warranty.

By guts' instinct, I'm leaning towards some problem with the power supply or a hardware defect, most likely in the Mainboard / RAM department.
Do you know why you got an extra 24pin power cable? Was the original one too short? 
Do all power cables firmly connect to the power supply itself? It is a fully modular one, which means that unneeded cables can be removed. Would be rare, but maybe a connection might have unfasten over time, perhaps if you moved the machine around... 
When you check that, turn the whole machine off and unplug it. Do not touch parts while the computer is running.

As for a potential hardware defect, I notice that your RAM is listed as "Origin", which seems to be the store, right?
I'm quite wary of no-name components... 

Origin PC is the company who built the computer, yes. I just pretty much asked them to build a computer for me play games at max, and they wrote up a parts list. So the parts you see there were mostly their choice, I honestly am not too knowledgeable about computer components.

I'll try messaging them about it and see what they have to say. My main worry with that is I could just see them saying something like "Well if it's only effecting just this one game, then it's must be the game, can't help with that." Though actually, their customer support is usually super helpful so we shall see.

4 hours ago, UltraKirby123 said:

Origin PC is the company who built the computer, yes. I just pretty much asked them to build a computer for me play games at max, and they wrote up a parts list. So the parts you see there were mostly their choice, I honestly am not too knowledgeable about computer components.

I'll try messaging them about it and see what they have to say. My main worry with that is I could just see them saying something like "Well if it's only effecting just this one game, then it's must be the game, can't help with that." Though actually, their customer support is usually super helpful so we shall see.

You might get a response like that.  But if you do, reply back that tens of thousands of people using computers less capable than yours run SL with no problems...and that you yourself ran SL with no problems until recently.  The problem is definitely the computer, NOT SL.  Stand up for your rights!

I'd actually start the complaint with a phrase expressing that you seem to have dying RAM or power supply problems. Not with "I have a crashing problem with just one app". 

Perhaps give the Unigine Heaven 4.0 benchmark a try. I think it also benches an OpenGL setting, which is the same base as SL. See if that one also crashes...

On ‎4‎/‎1‎/‎2018 at 8:36 AM, Lindal Kidd said:

You might get a response like that.  But if you do, reply back that tens of thousands of people using computers less capable than yours run SL with no problems...and that you yourself ran SL with no problems until recently.  The problem is definitely the computer, NOT SL.  Stand up for your rights!

On ‎4‎/‎1‎/‎2018 at 9:14 AM, Lillith Hapmouche said:

I'd actually start the complaint with a phrase expressing that you seem to have dying RAM or power supply problems. Not with "I have a crashing problem with just one app". 

Perhaps give the Unigine Heaven 4.0 benchmark a try. I think it also benches an OpenGL setting, which is the same base as SL. See if that one also crashes...

So I tried the Superposition benchmark test since that one is more recent, and it didn't crash at all. They told me that even though it uses OpenGL, SL most likely uses different scripting and programing and such. I might try the Heaven one you linked, just in case that somehow makes a difference.

I've also sent a email to my computer maker and am waiting on a response on that, so we shall see. I just have to say, though, thank you for trying to help, guys! I appreciate it, even if by the end of this, the problem doesn't get fixed.

Computers are low voltage systems, 1.5, 3, and 5 volt mostly. So, corrosion of the connectors can cause problems. Basic shop troubleshooting step is disconnect and reconnect everything, plugs, boards, etc.

In humid areas the brass contacts get a thin layer of corrosion we barely noticeable but enough to cause a voltage drop. The movement of the connectors is enough to wipe through the corrosion and improve the connection.

I agree with Lillith, this type of problem is typical of power supply problems. EVGA is a good brand. But, it may have a problem. There is no easy way to test it when the problem is intermittent. I have access to all sorts of computer junk. So, I would swap out the power supply as a test. Probably not a solution for you. So, open the Windows event viewer after a crash and look for the shutdown event. See what error it lists. You can Google for how to use the Win Event Viewer. Unexpected shutdown usually means loss of power.

Look in the SL log and see what error it lists. See: 

I, in fact, opened it and cleaned the fan nad when I screwed everythig again I did not tighten one of the screws inadvertently and that's what cause the laptop to shut off randomly. From what I have researched, the dissipator was probably not in touch with the motherboard due to not tightening the screws enough.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1932 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.