Landscaping help

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2210 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I'm not sure but I hope it falls into the right place to where i get the right help:

But i just started landscaping and trying my hand at landscaping a beach on some land im renting (which is of decent size) but i have the beach kits which im getting use to, the water kit system im still figuring out BUT i have the beach sand textures and have no idea how to use them to place them on the ground? If any landscapers can guide me I will greatly appreciate the help and advice.

You cannot apply a texture to the actual ground unless you have estate manager rights. There is some things you can do however.

1) Place down a prim and stretch it to fill your parcel or whatever size space you want and apply your texture to that.

2) Buy a product from the marketplace that acts as a ground prim, there's several with natural mounds and inclines and slopes so you don't even need to terraform. For example: https://marketplace.secondlife.com/p/SIS-Mesh-Terrain-Floor-Kit/8462261

3) Try out this: https://marketplace.secondlife.com/p/LandMap-Change-your-ground-texture-without-land-powers/236734
This will layer your textures over your terraformed ground like a second layer.

Personally I really like the Land Map tool since I prefer terraforming things myself :)

• Like 2

You're very welcome. Doing 1 and then 2, so it's not just a simple flat ground is a very good thing to learn doing, it'll be a blessing if you ever feel the need to build a place for yourself in the sky.

Nothing is more boring than having a completely flat ground!

10 hours ago, Syn Anatine said:

You cannot apply a texture to the actual ground unless you have estate manager rights. There is some things you can do however.

1) Place down a prim and stretch it to fill your parcel or whatever size space you want and apply your texture to that.

2) Buy a product from the marketplace that acts as a ground prim, there's several with natural mounds and inclines and slopes so you don't even need to terraform. For example: https://marketplace.secondlife.com/p/SIS-Mesh-Terrain-Floor-Kit/8462261

3) Try out this: https://marketplace.secondlife.com/p/LandMap-Change-your-ground-texture-without-land-powers/236734
This will layer your textures over your terraformed ground like a second layer.

Personally I really like the Land Map tool since I prefer terraforming things myself :)

I have some questions about that Land Map tool. Does it work on empty land only? I put down a house + furniture and lots of plants. I must take all up before I can use it?

How is it to walk on? It says it's not walkable. Is the default land so high up under the sculpts that it looks natural to walk on, or is the feet sinking through to the ankles? Or more?

If one must use a transparent prim to walk on, that is flat, so I sink through in hills and land slopes?

2 hours ago, Marianne Little said:

I have some questions about that Land Map tool. Does it work on empty land only? I put down a house + furniture and lots of plants. I must take all up before I can use it?

How is it to walk on? It says it's not walkable. Is the default land so high up under the sculpts that it looks natural to walk on, or is the feet sinking through to the ankles? Or more?

If one must use a transparent prim to walk on, that is flat, so I sink through in hills and land slopes?

1. It doesn't layer over stuff you put down, it orients itself on the ground floor.

2. Imagine it laying itself over the ground like a second skin. It doesn't need to be walkable because the ground underneath it is and you'd never even notice that there's a layer between you and the ground. It automatically lays itself over mounds, within inclines and every other uneveness the ground has. It's not perfect though so you might have to terraform here and there.

3.It's made with actual ground in mind, so if you use it on the ground level then you will not need a prim underneath anything and you will not sink in. If you however use it up in a skybox you will have to do so since only the 2nd layer is up there but not the actual ground from the ground level to support your avatar.

To get a feel for it I'd recommend watching the video on the product listing. You will have to do a bit of terraforming here and there and I am not sure how well it works anywhere but the ground. You can however take the layers you made on the ground level up into the sky.

• Like 1

Sounds great. Maybe I buy it when I get the 1000 L for going premium. Yes, I watched the video, but the avatar was so far away that I didn't see if the feet was sinking. On a 2048 plot, I am not sure if I really "need" it because I have a nice beach pack already and I used flat prims on the rest.

But then, we don't "need" anything in SL, we want....;)

As for the "water kit system," you're probably talking about the waves.  It's almost certainly like the one I've used in the past where the KEY thing for you to know is that the heart of this wave-generating trick is a small invisible prim up in the sky that will pop up there when you rezz your "waves" from the folder onto the ground (or so you think).  That little prim houses the scripts that are causing the animated textures that give you wavelets washing ashore. Very nice.  But your waves may be going in the wrong direction and needing adjustments, so to fix this, when you rezz your beach (this unseen prim box),  make sure you have no trees in the way so you can find that box in the sky.  It may be inland a bit and not OVER your beach.  To find it just turn off transparencies (ctrl alt T) and this will turn all prims on your sim red, including that invisible little prim box, so you can now look up in the sky until you see it.  Then r-click it and select "Edit" so you can move the box like any other prim, and you will then see  that you in adjusting the box you are moving your waves.  And thus, you position everything as you want them for a lapping effect up onto your new sand.  You may have a different system but probably not. 

The exceeding cool thing about all this is that while the you can't place prims OFF-sim,  and thus you wonder how are you seeing your waves coming in from off sim?  The trick is that the prim box itself holding the scripts and animations IS ON your sim, and thus the animations will run and you will see them rolling onto your beach like coming in off the wide ocean. These are not big breakers, but little normal wavelets washing upon to a shore.  Really cool.  

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2210 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.