Is no one else as lonely in SL as me? Looking for those that don't fit in anywhere

Nimue Galatea

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1455 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Where do all the really lonely ones congregate? Those affected by racism in SL, the disabled, the depressed, the ultra shy? Where are you guys? I'm dying to be your friend.

In fact, I'm thinking of creating a sort of weekly support group for us misfits (the Support group category of Events is empty, as it is).

Often I log out of SL feeling worse than before I logged in. I don't think that that is how it should be. I'm lonely in RL as well. I've been through a lot, and I have great empathy for and understanding of all sorts of issues, and can offer that in a friendship.

At the same time I'm healing from an injury that makes it difficult to communicate with people for too long. Sometimes it would be nice to explore sims with folks, without the expectation of lengthy conversations.

The social climate in SL (and most other places I've played in) is standoffish, as well. I'm particularly sensitive to it and it makes it harder to make friends. I believe it has to do with the social climate of the world at large.

Thanks for reading.

Edited by Nimue Galatea
  • Like 9
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Nimue Galatea said:

Where do all the really lonely ones congregate? Those affected by racism in SL, the disabled, the depressed, the ultra shy? Where are you guys? I'm dying to be your friend.

In fact, I'm thinking of creating a sort of weekly support group for us misfits (the Support group category of Events is empty, as it is).

Often I log out of SL feeling worse than before I logged in. I don't think that that is how it should be. I'm lonely in RL as well. I've been through a lot, and I have great empathy for and understanding of all sorts of issues, and can offer that in a friendship.

At the same time I'm healing from an injury that makes it difficult to communicate with people for too long. Sometimes it would be nice to explore sims with folks, without the expectation of lengthy conversations.

The social climate in SL (and most other places I've played in) is standoffish, as well. I'm particularly sensitive to it and it makes it harder to make friends. I believe it has to do with the social climate of the world at large.

Thanks for reading.

That's definitely not how it should be! I have found this too, I find people who are chatty & seem to want to be friends, but when you start to want to spend time with them, they suddenly aren't ever around (or maybe it's me!)

I have serious communication difficulties and am disabled, but i'm a good friend to have and love to spend time with friends. There is a breakfast thing every Sunday @ 8am slt, the location changes weekly I think (The Forum Cartel group sends notices), maybe try that as I plan to one of these weeks!

Edited by Liana Wildmist

53 minutes ago, Nimue Galatea said:

Nimue I think you bring up such a good question about how do you find friends in SL?  The best advice for me to give you is just to explore sims that you like, and do activities you enjoy while in SL, and through this you will be able to find people who can become friends.  Being open to IM's and sometimes taking a chance and IMing someone who you would like to meet is scary, but I still am convinced it is the best way for you to get to know friends.  Good luck with your search and please realize there are others out there who feel the same way you do.

• Like 7

2 hours ago, Jameson2001 said:

Nimue I think you bring up such a good question about how do you find friends in SL?  The best advice for me to give you is just to explore sims that you like, and do activities you enjoy while in SL, and through this you will be able to find people who can become friends.  Being open to IM's and sometimes taking a chance and IMing someone who you would like to meet is scary, but I still am convinced it is the best way for you to get to know friends.  Good luck with your search and please realize there are others out there who feel the same way you do.

2 hours ago, Love Zhaoying said:

A lot of lonely folks come here! The forums are quite social.

CA4AD228-3E79-4A12-82B5-932BDF1F1A5D.jpeg

If you guys know of anyone really lonely in SL, please send them my way. Maybe I can create a little community for us.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Nimue Galatea said:

Thanks for reading.

are you female in real life ? age group ?

• Haha 6
  • Confused 1

3 minutes ago, Quinn Lysette said:

are you female in real life ? age group ?

how compassionate you are Quinn, the girl bares her soul, and all you care about is proving her gender and age.

Nimue I would be glad to be your friend, no expectations, but be warned, I can't always get on very long, and I tend to act like I have ADD when in SL so I might seem to be neglecting you, do not take that personal.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Nimue Galatea said:

Thanks for reading.

*Hugs* Nimue!

I haven't been on SL as much lately, but you can add me if you like, even if we just chat here. I hope you find some friends that you can truly connect with.

• Like 2

hihi nimue, first of all i really love your name~ i'm still kinda new here but what you said really hits home...

i'm sorry to hear about your injury, and wish you a speedy recovery! maybe we can explore together, if you don't mind? it's hard for me to hold conversations sometimes, so i think it'd be nice just to soak up the sights with a companion. feel free to contact me in world if that sounds okay! no worries if you don't want to either. all the best.

p.s if you ever do make a community or group i'd love to join too, but again no pressure.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, Nimue Galatea said:

Thanks for reading.

Oh hunny I'm so sorry to hear about your injury! But I would love to be your friend on Sl I'm sometimes busy and some times I'm not so it's a 50/50 but I always reply to ims unless I'm AFK! 

PS: I'm a great listener and I love your name

Edited by MayaSkyrose
  • Like 2

I tend to feel alone alot in the game aswell ..it just seems to change the longer Im in it . I understand every thing you mentioned and honestly it is hard. When you are shy or afraid to talk to others, eitehr cause you dont feel like you fit in very well or some times the thought of, I wonder if they are only after one thing in SL ..so you tend to keep to your self . Im always exploring the sims, and 99% of the time im on my own . You are more then welcome to buddy me and we can explore together . Im not always on alot during the  day due to work but the weekend are usually when Im on ... even just to chat, feel free :)

One thing that did help me, and honestly it was the 1st time i actually felt a part of something in SL, maybe consider being in a family . I honestly dont know how to go about doing this, but I know when I was a part of it for just  a short time, I didnt feel as lonely or empty in the game . 

• Like 2

there´s the weekly breakfast ... it´s the bunch from this thread:

then we have the corresponding group inworld, as well as the Forum Cartel Hangout place (there are occasional parties), the corresponding group is in my signature and the Thread for it is here:

There´s a group called The Tourist, where a bunch of us planned to go explore sims and hang out, find it either via my inworld profile or search

and you´ve probably noticed the forum is quite active, as well...

Inworld I´m usually by myself, too, but I´m waaay too busy sorting things and fiddling around for the next weeks and probably months. I´ve known this feeling quite too well though especially after I stopped going to adult RP sims, the clubs have been closed or left behind.... hm... and I was asked to stay away from a starting area (I went there cos I do like to help starters and freshies... the noobs on the other hand... the ones who think they´re the kings cos they managed to log in for the first time... I like to eat them as a pre-breakfast thread.^^ ) so that was the last active area I ran into (Plus I´m on SLT+9 timezone-wise so that´s extra complicated for me xD) 

i am quite lonely too, most of the time. I think you just need to find something that keeps your interest whether its blogging, taking pictures,connecting with ppl through art ect. Things aren't perfect but i feel much better after i found a new hobby. It makes me feel positive.

• Like 7

Hi Nimue, just want to tell you your post struck a chord with me. I'm not very alone in SL anymore. But I had a difficult time finding my tribe as well. And I too am in recovery from an injury that left me with a disability.

You're certainly welcome to reach out to me in world and come hang with me if you'd like to. As far as places where I find people who have a hard time finding their "tribe," I have a couple of places like that I can introduce you to. But, alas, you kind of have to be there at the right times to meet people.

I think it always helps to find just one or two good people to hang out with. Good people tend to hang out with one another, so if you find one or two of those to hang with, then you will start to meet others.

• Like 1

Lonely misfit here. Sl the net and online games in general is a bit strange when it comes to making friends. It can be like that in rl as well.

I sometimes feel like i want to make a campfire in the middle of somewhere with a lot of people around and sing Why can't we be friends. That would just empty the place or street and create wide pani. But would least have all the marshmellows for myself. Anyway hugs and marsmellows for everyone!!!! 

• Like 5

My advice is go inworld and do what you like to do.  Then over time you will meet people who like to do the same things.  

If you like music, for example, go to dance clubs featuring music that you like.  If you like art, then go hang around the art exhibits.  If you like making things, then go to the Ivory Tower of Prims or Builders Brewery.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

Been a little bit since anybody posted here, but I wanted to mention I'd be open to meeting new friends.

My name is Rufus and I use/roleplay a furry child avatar in Secondlife. It can sometimes be a bit tricky finding people to chat with, most of my friend groups died out ^^ So I could use some new friends to chat with.

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1455 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.