Marketplace Changes Upate - Jiras, Last Names and You

Chic Aeon

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2197 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

7 minutes ago, ChinRey said:

But they aren't going back to the system with a list of limited options, are they?

From what I've heard, yes they are going back to the old way of doing it; i.e. at any given time, there is a list of last names to choose from, which, like before, will probably change from time to time. I even heard that they are open to suggestions for names to put in the lists.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Phil Deakins said:

You can't do that. You will only be able to pick a last name from a list, and the chances of Twentythreefiftyeight being in the list are not very high :)

Well, I didn't know that 'choose your own name'  meant 'choose from a list of boring last names dreamt up by LL marketing'.  Maybe they can stick it then.  No way I being anyone but Anna, and chances of getting good name from a list to be unique with Anna are pretty slim.  Save my dollars....

5 hours ago, Phil Deakins said:

From what I've heard, yes they are going back to the old way of doing it; i.e. at any given time, there is a list of last names to choose from, which, like before, will probably change from time to time. I even heard that they are open to suggestions for names to put in the lists.

I suggest Twentythreefiftyeight.

• Haha 2

29 minutes ago, anna2358 said:

Well, I didn't know that 'choose your own name'  meant 'choose from a list of boring last names dreamt up by LL marketing'.  Maybe they can stick it then.  No way I being anyone but Anna, and chances of getting good name from a list to be unique with Anna are pretty slim.  Save my dollars....

If they do it like they did originally, then there will be a drop-down with a bunch of last names to pick from (all new last names, not any previously used).  Every few months, that list will change.  You'll be able to browse the list of available last names and try Anna with them to see if it is unique before you actually have to pay for anything.

You can browse this website to see a list of all of the last names that have already been used - to get an idea of the various types of names they provided.
http://slnamewatch.com/

Edited by LittleMe Jewell
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, anna2358 said:

You never know, they might put Countant in the list, and you could be Anna Countant :) Or maybe Noyance :D

The last names lists alwyas included many that are not genuine surnames. One was mentiond in this thread - Sideways. I have alts with the following last names:- Moonwall, Stillwater, Darkrose, Broadfoot, Melodie, Songlark, Littleboots, Sixpence, Sunburn, and more. You might easily find one of the new last names that you like a lot.

Edited by Phil Deakins
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, Phil Deakins said:

You never know, they might put Countant in the list, and you could be Anna Countant :) Or maybe Noyance :D

The last names lits alwyas included many that are not genuine surnames. One was mentiond in this thread - Sideways. I have alts with the following last names:- Moonwall, Still water, Darkrose, Broadfoot, Melodie, Songlark, Littleboots, Sixpence, Sunburn, and more. You might easily find one of the new last names that you like a lot.

Anna Noyance sounds fantastic.

• Like 4

8 hours ago, ChinRey said:

But they aren't going back to the system with a list of limited options, are they?

Yes according to the latest LL chatter. You didn't read that article in the OP I take it LOL.   

In the old days there was a drop-down menu with a lot of last names to pick from (you choose your own first name).  If I couldn't find a last name I liked to go with the first name I wanted I would just sit & hit refresh ever so often to get a new set of last names to choose from, could do that a few times before it went right back to the original list they had shown me.  The best part of last names coming back for me is the fun of coming up with a first name no one in SL has ever had & then finding the coolest last name possible.  Sometimes waiting & trying a few days in a row to get more choices before settling on one.  It stopped being fun when they took away the last names.  I to agree anyone with the last name of Resident should get one free name change, it's only fair since it wasn't their choice to get stuck with it.

On 4/2/2018 at 2:23 PM, anna2358 said:

I thought all Neko Lions were called Zhaoying?   Or to be precise , it means 'Taken Care of'.

Ok ok, I also chose it because it is obviously Asian (Chinese), and may add a bit of mystery. If I had known about the popularity of the “ZHAO-2 HUD” then maybe I would have chosen something less similar. 

So..”taken care of” is like Bespoke..so I am Love Bespoke!

I am not sure if allowed to post outside links but remember SL Name Watch (google will bring it up) - you can look on there for all the historical names just for interest purposes and scroll though.

There were only 996 Bartlett names in there, I rarely come across an active one in world these days (one or two of them)....

GossipGirl as a surname (due to the commercial project) is the second popular last name after Resident of course... 163,000 odd.

Less popular was Lupus - 4 surnames (seems like a vanity name you used to be able to buy for 150 USD)....    Gingrich was one person (Newt I believe the RL person?) and 4 Duran Durans :D (Oh memories)

And 4th in the list for popular take up on surnames was Aeon :D For @Chic Aeon

Edited by Charlotte Bartlett
  • Like 1

40 minutes ago, Charlotte Bartlett said:

I am not sure if allowed to post outside links but remember SL Name Watch (google will bring it up) - you can look on there for all the historical names just for interest purposes and scroll though.

There were only 996 Bartlett names in there, I rarely come across an active one in world these days (one or two of them)....

GossipGirl as a surname (due to the commercial project) is the second popular last name after Resident of course... 163,000 odd.

Less popular was Lupus - 4 surnames (seems like a vanity name you used to be able to buy for 150 USD)....    Gingrich was one person (Newt I believe the RL person?) and 4 Duran Durans :D (Oh memories)

And 4th in the list for popular take up on surnames was Aeon :D For @Chic Aeon

I think that choice was a combo of "Aeon Flux"  which wasn't too old and probably on video by the time I signed up --- AND being lazy and not getting past the A's LOL 

On 4/1/2018 at 7:03 PM, anna2358 said:

I honestly don't care if I have to pay or not.  I already pay a lot just to be here.  What I would like to do is trade the 2358 for a nice surname.  I hate the number.

I have to ask, why did you pick the number then?. You could have chosen ANY name starting with Anna or containing Anna. Or picked a entirely different name, you didn't HAVE to pick one that had a number. I have a few alts in SL that i use for different stores, a building alt etc etc and i have yet to resort to picking a name that contains a number

19 minutes ago, chibiusa Ling said:

I have to ask, why did you pick the number then?. You could have chosen ANY name starting with Anna or containing Anna. Or picked a entirely different name, you didn't HAVE to pick one that had a number. I have a few alts in SL that i use for different stores, a building alt etc etc and i have yet to resort to picking a name that contains a number

Not everyone who first signs up to SL realises the significance (and difficulty) of changing their name so might just stick any old number or sequence of letters in. Then you get used to it or use a display name.   I am not answering for Anna,  she might have her own reasons but I am talking from experience of a friend who signed up using a name that looks more like a password than a name because she just signed up to help test something for a friend, enjoyed it and stayed but is currently stuck with her password looking name and a display name.  I am not sure I would have chosen Cindy if I had known I was going to stay and keep it forever.

10 hours ago, Cindy Evanier said:

I am not sure I would have chosen Cindy if I had known I was going to stay and keep it forever.

And I certainly wouldn't have chosen this fake CHinese name (complete with last name first and everything) if I knew Chin Rey was going to end up as my main account. She was my alt no. 3 and only suppsoed to be low key justfor-sun role play character. I'm stuck with it though and I'm not going to change it. The name has become too much of an integrated part of my SL personae.

And it could be worse. Like the poor old-timer who chose "Filth" as their last name, not anticipating they would end up as the owner of one of the best known and most serious SL businesses. ;)

• 2 weeks later...
  • Lindens
On 4/5/2018 at 3:17 PM, ChinRey said:

And I certainly wouldn't have chosen this fake CHinese name (complete with last name first and everything) if I knew Chin Rey was going to end up as my main account. She was my alt no. 3 and only suppsoed to be low key justfor-sun role play character. I'm stuck with it though and I'm not going to change it. The name has become too much of an integrated part of my SL personae.

And it could be worse. Like the poor old-timer who chose "Filth" as their last name, not anticipating they would end up as the owner of one of the best known and most serious SL businesses. ;)

You know, this is all not unlike RL, where one doesn't always get to chose a non-ridiculous-sounding last name either... ;)

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, Grumpity Linden said:

You know, this is all not unlike RL, where one doesn't always get to chose a non-ridiculous-sounding last name either... ;)

At least here we can sometimes choose first/last combos that sound funny or make a pun - unlike sometimes in RL when you might marry into such or your parents name you that way thinking it is "cool".

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2197 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.