New Private Therapy Practice - serious advice needed

Fiona Serendipity

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2190 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I would really like to build a real private practice in Secondlife as I feel many people can use talk therapy in their RL/SL lives. I need assistance in marketing and getting my practice out there if anyone has suggestions on the best marketing team/branding team. It is really important to have some stability in SL and I believe I can help those who want to be helped.

Zen Therapy final edited 300 dpi with TM.png

If you are a real life licensed therapist that wants to continue their work in virtual lands, that is great. BUT this is a very dangerous road if you are not. IF you do not have training then I suggest "role play" therapy instead of something that appears more real and can be confusing for "clients".  I do know that there are medical practitioners in Second Life who basically work for free here (one is my RL neighbor). BUT for the most part the therapy is given by folks who could cause as much damage as they could do good. 

If you are a RL therapist and you feel comfortable connecting your virtual and RL selves, then putting that information out for prospective clients would be something to consider. 

Your logo is lovely!  

• Thanks 1

59 minutes ago, Fiona Serendipity said:

I would really like to build a real private practice in Secondlife as I feel many people can use talk therapy in their RL/SL lives.

I was once contacted by a Psychologist who considered creating a RL psychotherapy clinic in SL and wanted me to build it, and I've done Reiki on people here and have a degree in Psychology -- my clients said it helped them (a lot of talk was involved too).
It's pretty amazing all the therapy clinics coming online in general, using Skype or text-based communication, or both.
The important point is to be honest about your qualifications I think, perhaps offering some RL proof of those. A few revues by others who have used your services can't hurt too.

There really is a need for people to help who have a better grasp of issues in SL, as they are often quite different from RL issues and hard for a RL therapist to understand in many cases, at least at this point in time.

Edited by Luna Bliss

Hi Fiona and welcome to the community forums. First thing that came to mind is if you have made a plan for how much time you are going to dedicate to this in SL With your credentials I assume you have lots of similar work to do in RL already and your SL clients would most likely want to see some predictable and reliable opening times for your practice in SL People might also wonder what your reputation/quality of work really is if you have time for doing this in SL. I myself have an RL practice and I can only dedicate 1 hour a month to do a meditation session in SL on a theme I usually spend a 3 hour workshop on in RL  Then we also come to the point that experience-wise, as told from my other SL colleagues, people have a short attention span in SL and in front of a computer n general, leaving the question how much benefit they really are getting from your services. 

Since you have studied SL since 2006 I assume you know what the market is for this kind of inworld services. To my knowledge (and I hope for you I'm wrong) there isn't any market for this work. I applied for a similar 'job' with a few well-established groups and got a no in return because they have more than enough people. When you then visit their lands and 'clinics' they are more or less inhabited by crickets only. Most people are not looking for therapy inside SL (again to my knowledge) and mostly use SL as a therapy in itself. Besides that, many people come to SL to not be confronted with RL stuff at all. 

I don't want to make you feel down or anything and wish I could be more helpful in a positive way, but unless you have come to a completely different conclusion about the market for this in SL I wouldn't spend any money on it just yet, nor expect to make any money out of it. I would instead advertise yourself and your RL work so you get more clients in RL and you could also focus on travelling around in SL with workshops for example. I would be happy to have you over for a gathering with my group and the groups of my friends so you can start building a name in SL if the topics you cover are interesting for us, which I think they can be.  I have had good success by taking things very slowly and without expectations both in RL and SL. 

Wishing you all the best of luck and hope to see you in SL one day.

Much Love & Light -  Elijah P.

Well thank you all for the honest feedback. Perhaps I may better use my skills in creating a Zen Therapy magazine. Articles and tools to help with whatever your needs are?

Since having a clinic seems to be a dead issue I enjoy writing and I have a plethora of knowledge so that might be my little project for myself to help others. If you care to comment on that please do I welcome any constructive criticism. 

Warmly,

Fiona

Sounds like a great thing to start things off with Fiona. It will certainly give you feeling for what people in SL are looking for without spending too much time and money on gong big right away. Please let me know how you're coming along with such a magazine. Would like to have a kiosk on my land with your magazine. 

Love & Light - Elijah P.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2190 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.