House Physics Change on Rotation Inworld

Chic Aeon

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2211 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

This is really bizarre so posting as I would like to know the "why" of things.  :D

I noted yesterday that objects rezzed (or cube built) inside a new house were up in the air, not on the floor. That was the case with the stoops also. Since the floor was a single mesh cube -- the same one I had been using for almost a year with no issues -- I was puzzled. I remade the floor and steps on my building pad. All was good. Everything rezzed on the surface as it should. 

Took the house back over to LEA6 and placed again. Physics not working. I thought it might somehow be the bushes? Who knows? But physics were also wrongt work when up in the air. HOWEVER, the placement on the ground is at 66 degrees angle (z) and it turns out THAT is the issue. If I take the same house and turn it back to 00 things rez just fine.  Now most folks are NOT going to put their house at an angle because it is a pain to decorate :D --- but. 

Is this a known issue?  Seems very strange. The "mesh prim" used for floor and steps was uploaded with full LODs and physics.  I could of course put a "real prim" on top for the physics and it likely wouldn't be an issue anyway. Just wondering if I am missing something obvious here. 

5abe4a026e9b5_housephysicswrong.thumb.jpg.9c9a6c8acde62e34d922995bc206f9c8.jpg

5abe4a0031fe8_housephysicsat00.thumb.jpg.1d7245a7c1e1c2f6f60e9801adaadb40.jpg

Just now, Chic Aeon said:

No, I just checked. Floors are  as they should be. Doorway is fine.  This on the 66 degree turned version. 

IMO then, all is fine. In the end, the physics shape is needed for physics, and rezzing a cube on the floor doesn't use any. Probably it's a position rounding that the viewer does when rezzing on a surface that needs recalculation because of the object rotation, and to avoid that it just adds some room on the vertical to the "default" surface (without calculating its new position) axis like a precaution. 

Just as curiosity, if you take the 66 deg turned item back to inventory and rez it back in such state, does the rezzing keep adding extra height?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, OptimoMaximo said:

IMO then, all is fine. In the end, the physics shape is needed for physics, and rezzing a cube on the floor doesn't use any. Probably it's a position rounding that the viewer does when rezzing on a surface that needs recalculation because of the object rotation, and to avoid that it just adds some room on the vertical to the "default" surface (without calculating its new position) axis like a precaution. 

Just as curiosity, if you take the 66 deg turned item back to inventory and rez it back in such state, does the rezzing keep adding extra height?

I was pretty sure it did  == hence my rebuilding it yesterday. And I just checked again and yes, the rezzing physics are still off.  IF I just DRAG a copy and change back to 00 then the physics are OK.

THIS MAY NOT BE NEW. I can't actually remember when I wanted a buildng at an odd angle.   Just seems sort of "Opensim" in that we would prefer things to act as we expect them to  --- even when they don't.

I CAN put a prim down on the 66 degree floor and that fixes things. I didn't test what happened if I linked the prim to the house. I am just going to moooooove on.  

Likely I will remember this in the future though and save myself some rebuilding should it happen again. 

Thanks. 

• Like 1

I don't think I understand what problem you are experiencing here? Are you saying that the physics shape itself is wrong or that the placement of objects is wrong given how you expect the physics to interact?

On 30/03/2018 at 7:06 PM, Chic Aeon said:

IMO then, all is fine. In the end, the physics shape is needed for physics, and rezzing a cube on the floor doesn't use any.

Rezzing a cube anywhere uses physics (where "rezzing" is used to mean clicking or drag/dropping in the viewer).

When you are rezzing an object, the drop point on the screen is in 2D, the view projects a ray into the 3D viewport along a path that passes through the 2D position.

This ray will hopefully intersect with a visible object such as the floor or a table. Once that object has been identified by the viewer then a second raycast is performed, but this time it is performed on the server. The viewer sends details of the ray interaction in visible space by sending a message containing the hit box of the object and vectors describing where the ray intersected on the hitbox and the angle of intersection. 

The server then uses it's physics capability (remember the viewer has no real physics capability) to perform the second ray cast in physics space to locate a point on the physics shape of the object. This is of course why you get the "failed to rez object" errors when rezzing on mesh items that have a poorly constructed physics shape. 

In this case though, if Chic has a box physics that represents the floor and that physics is the only one active (there are no other objects that might interact), then her box should appear in the right place.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Beq Janus said:

I don't think I understand what problem you are experiencing here? Are you saying that the physics shape itself is wrong or that the placement of objects is wrong given how you expect the physics to interact?

I thought I came back and added to this thread but apparently not. 

The physics shape is CORRECT and worked as it should if the house was placed at a 90 degree angle. When the house was either  adjusted to be at 66 degrees or rezzed from inventory at 66 degrees  OTHER objects would not rez (build tool or dragged from inventory) on the floor. They rezzed higher and away from the planned placement point. This was NOT the "rez at the origin point" that we used to see a lot when mesh was new. It was a completely different thing. Definitely repeatable and changing out the floor prim with a new one produced the same results also.  This happened over a two day period and I finally just gave up. House was FINE at 0-90-180-270 degrees which would be how most people would use it.

BUT

I continued to make items for the house (a gacha) and found that in a couple of days the furniture placed perfectly and a cube can be built on the floor where the wand hits. I just tested now and it is still fine. 

So, like oftentimes happens, the issue fixed itself. It was apparently a server issue as I made no changes at all to the viewer.  Note that I tested both at LEA6 and at my building pad above the shop. 

Hope this answers the question :D. 

EDIT: The house that is working fine now on LEA6 is EXACTLY the same house which hadn't been touched in days that was NOT working before. No interaction from me until I tried putting down couches and chairs and was surprised that they ended up on the floor.

Edited by Chic Aeon
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Chic Aeon said:

So, like oftentimes happens, the issue fixed itself. It was apparently a server issue as I made no changes at all to the viewer.  Note that I tested both at LEA6 and at my building pad above the shop. 

The Lab's head of user care and molly-coddling, BigHugs Linden was quoted as saying "We had heard that Chic Aeon had been working too hard so we subtly broke the sim she was using to force her to slow down a bit"

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, Beq Janus said:

The Lab's head of user care and molly-coddling, BigHugs Linden was quoted as saying "We had heard that Chic Aeon had been working too hard so we subtly broke the sim she was using to force her to slow down a bit"

So very true but I am ALL caught up and have been playing some (a very unusual occurrence, yep).  It was definitely puzzling and I guess we will never know the WHY of it :D.

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2211 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.