I'm no artist - do I have any prayer?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3792 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

"Step one would probably be to get some successful people in SL to take such tests, so you can see how test results do or do not work as predictors of success"

Don't forget to have some abject failures in there as well. You need both positives and negatives to test predictive power. Any volunteers? :smileyvery-happy:

Josh Susanto wrote:

>After I made this post, I helped a new girl get her avatar up to speed by helping her find a good skin and shape, hair and a nice outfit, and it made me smile more than anything in SL in a very long time.  But, in the end - I was just helping - and other than someone being nice to her - her joy was derived from others creations - not mine.

Helping people, or at least helping them WELL is an undervalued skill in SL.

The system, itself, provides a lot of ways for people to learn things in SL, but it can't really address the fact that a lot of talented and enthusiastic people have innate learning styles that will almost inevitably require them to get some kind of help one-on-one. 

It seems to me that if you have good organizational skills, at least, you could create an agency for new users that helps them find their "thing" and connect with the right people to learn what they need to learn at a speed that works for them.

You might charge them a fee, or you could do it on a donation basis and still come out pretty well ahead. n00bs don't always have any money, but most of them will see the value in what you have done for them when they meet a few other people who are still floundering after logging every day for a month or more. And people like me are always eager to meet new talent before it gets scared away by a few pointless discouragements, so I could certainly front a few people money to pay you if they show any real commitment to profitable content creation... and I think most people will if they get the right referrals the first time. 

If you really are interested in "all of it", then that probably makes you the perfect person to open such an agency, since you wouldn't have any strong biases and might be able to more objectively assess where someone should try to focus in the beginning. 

There are probably some free online personality and aptitude tests you could use to match new users with in-world activities. Step one would probably be to get some successful people in SL to take such tests, so you can see how test results do or do not work as predictors of success as scripters, sculptors, texturers, animators, etc.

"But shouldn't there be more for me than just helping?". Sure there should, if you want there to be. I'm just saying that if you are actually good at helping (or can get good quickly) and you don't hate doing it, then that is one of the few things not already over-abundant in SL, and could provide you with a revenue stream while also keeping you continually exposed to new things in SL.

Yeah, well I told a well-respected fashion model that I had put a girl in a great skin, great  shape, hair, eyes, and a killer outfit.  Got her outfitted with a chimera and a bunch of dance anims, and a bunch of other things that were needed for her to enjoy the club scene or work in a club as a hostess or dancer.  When I told this model "Boy, I really think I could do well in avatar customization" it wasn't met with a "yeah, you should give it a shot..."

"Leave it to the pros..."  Bleh... really?  

But yes, I find it quite easy to take noobs and turn them into fairly pretty people, capable of making at least shopping money and clothing and accessories easily as hostesses or dancers.  I could definitely help people become at least decent DJ's as well if they have any sort of technical aptitude.

I mean, sure it's a worthwhile service, but I had just done it to help.  If noobs had money, they wouldn't be noobs long... and it's rare that you see a noob saying "Hey, I'll pay you to get me setup..."  Noobs expect free things.  Sure, you may wind up getting paid when they realize what you've done for them - but in my personal experiene, the only gratification you get out of helping a newb is the feeling you get from having helped someone (obviously this isn't bad, but it sure isn't paying for my next GothicKatz outfit or my tiers.) :)

With all the great posts here, I at least know I have potential if I put the work in to learn building, scripting, animation, photography.  I *am* truly interested in everything.  SL is never "boring."  There is always something to do.  And like I've said, I'm not trying to get "Oprah-rich" but I would like to have a feeling of accomplishment from creating things people will use and a small bit of change.

The thing I've always wanted to do the most is land development.  I've owned 2 rental properties in my long time in SL, and they both made a small profit - but I had left SL for two years and from everything I hear, the rental market is really dead - and unless you have the funds to cough up for a full sim or homestead, you're not getting anywhere.  I even went looking for loans last night (no, not asking people, searching for investment capital) to try to put into land investment in development.  I don't have the RL money to buy a sim. :(

I'm glad this thread is still going, because it has been incredibly helpful and therapeutic when I get frustrated.  Its back to the tutorials.. I just wish I could find MY niche, because I feel like I have so many ways to go that I'm not dedicating myself to learning one skill and attempting to get good at it.  I did build my 42x30 sky platform for my building today however, and even though it's just a bunch of prims stuck together neatly to build a nice platform - I did get a feeling of accomplishment - much more than when I put up my skybox (that I tore down today for the platform) - even though it's just a place to build and I no longer have a "home"... unless you're here for pixelsex, a home is really irrelevant anyways.. you can change clothes in any mature sandbox.

Thanks again to all who have replied! :)

Anita61 Anatine wrote:

If I look at your top 5 I think you can combine these. You could make a start in designing houses, and using your photo programs, create your own textures for them. 

Same with clothing, and tattoos: use your skils in PS to work on those, start simple, check tutorials and take it one step at a time.

As for furniture: once you got the hang of the animation program, you can combine building, making your own textures and put in your own unique animations!

I think you'll do ok once you get started on a project, start simple, for instance, create a kitchen chair, make a nice texture for it and a pose to put inside. Don't set your goals to high on your first project.

Good luck and have a lot of fun!!!!

I think you may have understood me though, friend.  Sure, I have the software... but I don't have anywhere what I would call skills in PS or AC3D... I just bought a lot of stuff when I was making a ton of money as a professional poker player knowing that I might have fun with it in some way one day.  My skills in Photoshop were making funny additions of text on 2+2 poker forums. :)  I guess I could have already built a very basic skybox today if I capped my building platform and put in side walls... but I don't really know how to make anything "angled"/sculpted or attractive.  It'd be a damned box.  I was able to get a fully furnished gorgeous skybox the other day for $499... why would someone buy my box with a floor texture?  :)

Still a great post, thank you. :)

Seeing Photography as your #1 interest, if you do choose to go down that road, the Avimator program that you have can also be used to make static poses rather than animations.

They are as simple as bending that model into the pose you want and saving it. You add the pose to a prim with a simple script and when the avatar sits on the prim they get posed for the photograph.

YES.  I have next to zero drawing ability.  My 6 year old draws better than I do.  Not. Eggagerating. 

But I am fairly successful at designing and modifying  all sorts of things.  I have a good eye even though my fingers can't often design things from scratch.  I use a lot of templates, or ready made sculpts, and I add things, detail them, texture them, modify, make larger builds, and I do fairly well... at least I enjoy it. :)  I am still very much a beginner but with a little time an ingenuity you can have a ton of fun and make some wonderful things, all with very little traditional artistic ability.  YOu just have to be willing to learn and willing to PRACTICE.  :)

OK; I'll go first.  

I don't script. It never seems to work out for me and I give up. I know I could learn to do it, but I would probably always be at a competitive disadvantage.

The tests I took with the Johnson-O'Connor foundation took all day and were very thorough.

I had 2 significant low scores.

One measures how quickly the eyes tend to scan a text. It's not an indicator of other things you might expect, such as the ability to remember a text or other visual record accurately; if I understand correctly, the two scores tend to correlate inversely. We can somewhat compromise speed for accuracy or vice-versa, but we are limited in that by neurology. 

The other score apparently measures how quickly someone stops being able to assign possible new meanings to a simple graphic shape. The more possible meanings you see in the given time, the longer it will take to settle into a career or complete a degree program. There is an upside, of course, provided you can see socially normal meanings well enough to apply the upside (nope).

I think the two things are related. Some people's brains are quicker than others at reaching a conclusion about what something must mean. It's often called "common sense", but I think of it more as a kind of neurological credulity. I can alternate more quickly than most people between text in 2 different languages, and I think it's because my brain makes fewer assumptions about the pronunciation or meaning of each next word.

My highest scores indicated that I have aptitude collections that compete with each other, pulling me between being a composer and doing something more "3d" like being an architect or sculptor or set designer, and in a few other directions (too many high scores, actually; yes, that is possible).

It was after that test (and after not making any money as a composer before that) that I started sculpting in SL. I don't texture sculpts, though; I sculpt textures. I didn't realize at first that that's "backwards", but it has worked well enough that I've just continued with it, and I have been making at least some profit every day since I started selling the stuff.

Next?

>"Leave it to the pros..." 

Well, even if someone is a n00b, being a model will mean they probably don't take well to being told they need amateur help getting dressed.

I wouldn't make too much of such a comment. You probably saved her a huge amount of hassle just getting to a look she wouldn't be afraid to be caught dead in. Most other n00bs are not perfectionists. Not even close.

>but I had just done it to help. 

At first, I just sculpted to sculpt. 

I think if you talk to most people selling scripts, they'll tell you that they used to script just to script.

That's one of the great things about SL; if you enjoy something enough, you can probably at least pick up some change by it eventually. In your case, it sounds like you can probably pick up more than some change.

>The thing I've always wanted to do the most is land development.

You can't control the total market demand for anything. A problem with SL land is that the price can only be adjusted so far downward to meet the real market price, and that affects what, if anything, is on it in very abrupt ways sometimes, so, in addition to the teleport thing, location doesn't really mean so much in SL, whereas in RL (well..you know). If you think more like an urban planner than like a real estate developer, though, you might be able to accomplish something. Too many parcels (or whole sims) are developed as if what is next to them might as well not exist. If there are people with existing developments who have some preference about what goes in next door, you might be able to get them to provide financing to find preferred buyers or renters for abutting property. If they have a church, they don't want a sex shop on the other side of the sim line, and they might be willing to pay something to make that not happen. You could get a piece of it.

Josh Susanto wrote:

>"Leave it to the pros..." 

Well, even if someone is a n00b, being a model will mean they probably don't take well to being told they need amateur help getting dressed.

I wouldn't make too much of such a comment. You probably saved her a huge amount of hassle just getting to a look she wouldn't be afraid to be caught dead in. Most other n00bs are not perfectionists. Not even close.

>but I had just done it to help. 

At first, I just sculpted to sculpt. 

I think if you talk to most people selling scripts, they'll tell you that they used to script just to script.

That's one of the great things about SL; if you enjoy something enough, you can probably at least pick up some change by it eventually. In your case, it sounds like you can probably pick up more than some change.

>The thing I've always wanted to do the most is land development.

You can't control the total market demand for anything. A problem with SL land is that the price can only be adjusted so far downward to meet the real market price, and that affects what, if anything, is on it in very abrupt ways sometimes, so, in addition to the teleport thing, location doesn't really mean so much in SL, whereas in RL (well..you know). If you think more like an urban planner than like a real estate developer, though, you might be able to accomplish something. Too many parcels (or whole sims) are developed as if what is next to them might as well not exist. If there are people with existing developments who have some preference about what goes in next door, you might be able to get them to provide financing to find preferred buyers or renters for abutting property. If they have a church, they don't want a sex shop on the other side of the sim line, and they might be willing to pay something to make that not happen. You could get a piece of it.

I didn't quote this twice so I could make that short reply, because your land post really deserves special attention.  I would LOVE to do something like what you mentioned (find sim-owners who want tenants of a certain variety.)  Before my little SL vacation I had a LOT of fun putting up beautiful homes (others creations, obviously) and getting good tenants.  Obviously, being a landlord you will sometimes deal with the problem tenant, but if you've already developed the land, you tend to get people who WANT exactly what you are offering (in my case, it was luxury homes and not commercial.)

At least until Pokerstars and Full Tilt Poker release American funds, I don't have the money to invest in making this a reality for myself (as a simowner) but I sure as hell could develop the land in a quality fashion for someone who has the money and not the time.  But, where do you find such people?  I mean, I would definitely put in my  profile that I am interested in helping simowners get quality tenants who want to live in a certain type of environment, but unless someone sees your profile, you get lost in the grid.

Yet another amazing post, Josh.  I will be sending you a friend request, I hope you are OK with that.

Update... I've started creating clothes... having trouble getting the seams together a bit, but it's a tough creation.  I made a Michael Jordan autographed NBA Finals jersey. :)

Also took a 3 store very nice prefab, and made it into a very nice looking and quaint 9 store mall.  Discovering I can do things both with building and photoshop, and loving the creative life so far.  I'm not getting much sleep, but I'm having a lot of fun.

Each of my 9 stores has 30 prim available at 75L a week, I think that seems fair, and if I could keep 100% rental, I would essentially be freerolling Second Life. :)  Thanks to everyone for the great posts and encouragement!

Jazen I didn't think I was artistic either until one day I went to an art gallery (in real life) and saw two naked people male and female standing back to back...and they called that art.

Well, that changed my whole thinking. Art is subjective I realized. its a personal thing not only to the artist but the viewer. That exhibition was a brilliant piece of art to some people, including the gallery owner obviously, but to me it was embarrassing. And not what Id call art at all. In fact my wife and I went home and became artists all night but that's another story... My point is I discovered with art you cant go wrong.

What you think is crap others will think sensational, brilliant whilst you scratch your head and think these people are crazy. ( some mean feat coming from a guy with a mental illness..)  I now have improved my photographic technical skills and my painting technical skills and that's something you can do over time.  But my original passion and desire and imagination have always fired me up and continues to do so.

You already have the fundamentals... the desire to create, the willingness to learn...so experiment in RL with RL stuff then bring them into SL. I run a free gallery in SL now for folks who are artistic and have mental health issues. No perceived lack of ability has stopped them.... I bet it wont stop you.

Well Thats it!

Thats Noyes!

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3792 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.