Sign in to follow this  
AnnieKnox

Bento

Question

4 answers to this question

21 minutes ago, AnnieKnox said:

Can someone please explain Bento to me?

I guess the best explanation is to start here

Then do a quick google of "What is Bento, Second Life"  and there are lots of videos and blogs to help

Edited by Cindy Evanier
grammar helps
  • Like 2

The links Cindy suggests will certainly give you the complete story!  Here's the short version:

Up until recently, avatars didn't really have facial expressions or hand movements.  What we had instead was "morphs"...a limited set of hand positions and facial expressions that certain animations could trigger.  This resulted in things like your prim fingernails popping off your fingertips and floating in the air when you closed your hand.

Project Bento addressed that shortcoming.  It added new bones to the avatar skeleton.  By moving these bones, animations can create real finger movements of the hands and real facial expressions.  In addition, bones were added to aid the animation of nonhuman avatars...for example, one of the new starter avatars is an angel.  You'll notice that her wings actually flap.  This is thanks to Bento.

You need a Bento compatible viewer to see today's Bento-equipped avatars correctly.  Avatars look severely distorted in old, non-Bento viewers.  Fortunately, most of the popular third party viewers now are Bento compatible.

Mesh heads made with Bento in mind have much more realistic facial expressions than older, non-Bento mesh heads.

THe explanations above are good, but I think incomplete. It takes some explaining to give one a clear idea of what classic and mesh bodies, feer, and hands are and how Bento changes them. Rather than paste an explanation in over and over as we answer people with your reasonable question, I posted a blog article, 

http://blog.nalates.net/2017/04/10/second-life-mesh-vs-classic-bodies/

Bento is explained at the end.

The simple, short answer is Bento added the ability to animate faces and fingers.

Plain simple? and straightforward : it is more points on your avatar that can be animated. Some new fitmesh items (ab)use those points.

While not intended as such you could use the hind legs and wings and tail to animate hair for example.