Sign in to follow this  
DaphneDoodles

Profile font madness

He/she is a gorgeous avatar found in a rp sim and based on the main chat you can tell they are a talented and maybe creative writer.  A quick peek at their profile to discover their character's story and then you see the font.  The funky f***ed up font that you can't read.   Why?  Why?  Why????????  Why destroy the image with kooky letters?  Trying to create an adult profile with kid font is just wrong.  Wrong.   WRONG.  I'm posting this in the hope I might reach one person.  If there is one less profile with bad font then I might sleep easier at night.  Seriously, it's like the perfume pungent nice lady at church.  Everybody likes her but nobody wants to sit by her.  

Edited by DaphneDoodles
  • Like 6

Well, my profile has different fonts, but it's no loss to me at all if you don't choose to read it. I can understand if people roleplay, it'd be difficult to read for some, and if me i'd have RP tabs in normal font.

Maybe people try to create a fun profile, one that THEY like and others like them might too? I can act very childlike at times (I don't mean rp or babytalk, i'm just someone people think is a lot younger than I am), but i'm me.

I'd suggest you stop looking in profiles!

7 hours ago, Liana Wildmist said:

I'd suggest you stop looking in profiles!

Are you honestly making that suggestion? I mean really now?

'Sides, just because you don't care if other's read your profile doesn't mean everyone else doesn't care either, or that the mystery person this post is about doesn't want other's to read her's/his'.

To the OP: I haven't come across these types of profiles yet but I imagine if someone goes out of their way to write something that isn't just a simple sentence or a bulletin type of list, they'd want other's to read it, especially if it pertains to a roleplay they're in. While a funky font might look nice on the surface, it will have the opposite effect on most people of what they want to achieve. Instead of reading their thoughtful words people will give up because it's hard to read. I wonder if they even realize that.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Syn Anatine said:

Are you honestly making that suggestion? I mean really now?

If it affects someone so bad they can't sleep in rl, then yes

'Sides, just because you don't care if other's read your profile doesn't mean everyone else doesn't care either, or that the mystery person this post is about doesn't want other's to read her's/his'.

To the OP: I haven't come across these types of profiles yet but I imagine if someone goes out of their way to write something that isn't just a simple sentence or a bulletin type of list, they'd want other's to read it, especially if it pertains to a roleplay they're in. While a funky font might look nice on the surface, it will have the opposite effect on most people of what they want to achieve. Instead of reading their thoughtful words people will give up because it's hard to read. I wonder if they even realize that.

43 minutes ago, Liana Wildmist said:

If it affects someone so bad they can't sleep in rl, then yes

The phrase 'sleeping easier at night' is used when something bugs you, it doesn't however mean that anyone is literally losing any sleep or that it's actually affecting their sleep. Considering the sentence right after...it clearly was a tongue in cheek type of comment. Either way, a suggestion like the one you made is quite problematic, it's like saying "If the basket color at your local store bugs you I suggest you no longer go there!" See what I mean? No need to burn down a whole building if just a little garbage bin is on fire :)

3 minutes ago, Syn Anatine said:

The phrase 'sleeping easier at night' is used when something bugs you, it doesn't however mean that anyone is literally losing any sleep or that it's actually affecting their sleep. Considering the sentence right after...it clearly was a tongue in cheek type of comment. Either way, a suggestion like the one you made is quite problematic, it's like saying "If the basket color at your local store bugs you I suggest you no longer go there!" See what I mean? No need to burn down a whole building if just a little garbage bin is on fire :)

Well, if it was bugging them but not affecting them, then clearly I wouldn't say to stop doing it

I like fonts as long as they are readable. But then again Firestorm has support for several characters that the majority of the viewers hasn't so most people that are using them will see several squares and nothing more. However I do despise those fonts that are several completely different characters united under a task to make it impossible to read.

If it depended on me profiles would have simple HTML and CSS support, that would be a great way to show individuality and creativity. When you can't have that you do what you can, in that case different characters.

I use different characters myself, but I make sure they're readable, at least in Firestorm.
zX1eN37.png

XHNdgcx.png

You mean that there are people that actually use that spilled-spaghetti font in thier profile bio? I mean, it's bad enough that it gets used in display names.

A farming system I use has a few staff who’s display names are almost unreadable. I’ve seen many new members get confused as to what their names are due to how hard it is to read.