how cheap I can buy?

Ernesto Perez

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2223 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

12 answers to this question

You have no control over time.  Remember, the LindeX is a currency exchange, not a shop.  When you use the Limit Buy option, you are offering to pay other SL residents for their L$.  You specify the price that you are willing to pay, and they you wait until people are willing to sell L$ at that price. If your offering price is lower than people are willing to accept, it will take longer to complete the purchase.  How long?  It depends on how reasonable your offering price is and how desperate other residents are to sell. If you make an offer that is ridiculously low, the sale will never be completed.  In my experience, the most sensible strategy is to offer no less than L$1 less than the most popular price at the moment. Right now, the most popular price seems to be L$259/$1.00, so I would offer no less than L$258/$1.00. 

Edited by Rolig Loon
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, Lillith Hapmouche said:

L$ 260?

If he wants an almost instant buy via the "best buy" option, shouldn't it be L$ 258 for a 10 minutes waiting time?

Yes.  My mistake.  Corrected above.  It's been a long weekend and it's only Saturday.  :S  I never buy $L; I only sell, so my brain is wired upside down.

Edited by Rolig Loon
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Ernesto Perez said:

There is some option to wait more days and then buy cheaper. I see the 8 day is maximum there. Buy example, I want to buy 200 000 L, but I can wait 1 months. When I wait 1 months, can I then get cheaper than waiting 8 days?

When you add your buy order you go to the end of the queue at that buy, and you also see all the better buys will be filled before you. So, it would only be 1 month if nobody else buys lindens. In reality other people do buy, about 80,000,000 or so a day.

Each time someone else buys better then you, they jump ahead of you in the queue and you are delayed longer.

This moment there is L$117,880,673 in the queue at L$259/USD$1 - if nobody else adds a buy request there then, when that is all filled the money at L$260/USD$1 will start being sold. When that L$3,732,170 is sold then as long as nobody has asked for L$259 or L$260 then the L$261 will start being sold.

As soon though as someone does $260 or better the $261 will stop and the better filled.

L$261-L$265 - in reality, will be filled about December 25. More than that might not be filled for 10 years.

8bbf2687ff4615cb27782d6b33ab871f.png.76f2499c7346ee85c77f0dfc8d828f14.png

On the Lindex you can normally move only 1 or 2 points from the top... 1 will be around 1 week, 2 could take a month or more.

December 2016 we saw it reach L$290/USD or so. Normally it's hovering L$256-L$260

Edited by Callum Meriman

1 hour ago, Callum Meriman said:

On the Lindex you can normally move only 1 or 2 points from the top... 1 will be around 1 week, 2 could take a month or more.

This is the key point, and the real answer to the OP's question.  You can generally sell one or two $L higher (or buy one or two $L lower) than the current selling or buying rate, without having to wait too long.  If you want to place a long-shot bet and don't mind waiting a few months or years, you can place your order 6 to 10 points above or below the current value; the $L does occasionally take these larger jumps, but they are rare.  Back in 2008, we were seeing rates of about $L270 to $1 USD.  Then for a long time, it was around 260:1.  For the last month or two, it's been about 250:1.  (Like Rolig, I normally sell $L, so these are selling rates.  Add about 9L for buying.)  You should examine the current market data to help you make a decision.  See my blog post: http://acrossthegridwithlindal.blogspot.com/2017/09/trade-l-like-pro.html

3 hours ago, Ernesto Perez said:

Thanx, but how much I must buy at once? When I want to buy 200 000 L, then maybe its too much to buy at once?

That is a purely personal decision. From a mathematical point of view, the benefit of using the Limit Buy option increases with the size of your order. There is a $0.99 fee on any order to L$, regardless of the size of the order, so if you bought only L$500, the fee would be an additional 50% of the cost. For an order of L$50,000, a $0.99 fee is only 0.5% of the cost. Therefore, there's always a mathematical advantage to placing large orders.  On the other hand, it makes little sense to buy more L$ than you believe you will need for in-world expenses in the near future.  You cannot pay your land fees -- usually the largest expense for long-term residents --  with L$, so unless you intend to make a lot of purchases, there's little reason to just buy a large amount of L$.  Remember that there is always a fee to sell L$ -- 3.5% of the cost of the transaction -- so if you buy a lot of L$ and then need to sell them again, you pay fees on both ends.

Edited by Rolig Loon
  • Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, Rolig Loon said:

Aha!   There are always people who want to sell land. Right now, I hear that there are excellent 1024 sq m parcels for sale in the Horizons regions, for example.  Explore for yourself to see what prices they are asking.

Below 1/4 region I have nothing to do with land. Castle dont fit. Also me interest only parcel next sea. Before this I even dont have much interest to logon at all to inworld. I searched land already few days inworld. There is something, but only counted one hand fingers. The picture is sad. Not enough mainland. I hate private estates, they are like some asocial prisons.

1 hour ago, Ernesto Perez said:

I was meant, maybe if I want to buy too much, there is no-one who have as much to sell. I need this money for land purchase.

Buy and sell orders do not have to be filled in full.  If you request a buy of L$200,000 and currently there is only someone willing to sell L$100,000 for the price you requested, then your order will be partially filled and the rest will wait.  I've had buy orders end up filling in 5 or 6 batches before.

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2223 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.