Forgot my laptop password?

MrJokerrrr

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2219 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

Hi so I seem to have forgotten my laptop password. I don't know how since I log into it daily! I think I'm losing it. My work password is similar to my laptop password at home so maybe that's why I've got confused and can't remember it eventhough I logged onto yesterday. Anyway I've tried pressing F8 to get into safe mode but safe mode isn't showing. How can I reset my password without losing everything on it please? I use windows (can't remember if it's 8 or 10). I have a Predator Helios 300 gaming laptop. Thanks.

6 answers to this question

That's a scary spot to be in. If I had a problem like that, I would probably take the laptop to the experts at my local computer repair shop and ask one of the techies there.  There's almost always some very smart kid with a talent for hacking into things that we mortals can't touch. (That's also scary, but it's a different story.)  o.O

If you dont have another account on the laptop with admin privileges then youre kinda screwed tbh. There really hasnt been a way to reliably "crack" a password in windows since 98SE (where you could get in by trying to print the login page, which would open the print tool which would also bring you to the desktop).

You can try a recovery USB for your version of windows to reset the accounts on there, but im pretty sure that without the current password it will delete everything and basically just leave a fresh install of windows on the disk.

Without a Microsoft Account login, the local login password can be reset. It is a major PITA and takes some advanced work. Generally the drive is removed, attached to another computer running Linux, and the password cleared. The drive is replaced and you can then start and get into Windows without a login password.

As an alternative most tech people have a CD/DVD that will run Linux, access the Windows disk and clear the password.

Make sure you are using the correct user ID for login. Make sure your capitalization is correct. Then resort to these more drastic steps. 

Also, wait a day. Stop stressing and your brain will likely start working and the password you'll swear you entered yesterday that did not work will work today.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2219 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.