You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1433 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

37 minutes ago, Qie Niangao said:

Could a viewer -- not necessarily a Linden viewer -- find its own performance bottlenecks while running and basically critique a configuration? The goal would be to suggest simplistic but actionable stuff such as:

• Cor
  • "Improve the network to speed texture downloads before any rendering improvements will be noticeable."

The idea would be to go beyond static configuration analysis [*] to also take into account a specific session's actual dynamic usage (is the user frequenting high rendering complexity environments, or places with simple geometry but textures that never load, or real-time motion updates, or... whatever differs across sessions and users.

There used to be several little colored performance indicators in the menubar... maybe some viewer still has them, but it must have been ages since I had them enabled... were they sampling data that could be useful for something like this?

[* ETA: Such "static configuration analysis" might be a starting point. Why don't we have that at least, based on some "normal" usage profile?]

"Add more RAM to boost average speed by 10% until you need to upgrade your GPU for further gains,"  I have 128 GB RAM, so adding more not only won't help, but isn't possible.

"Improve the network to speed texture downloads before any rendering improvements will be noticeable."Nope. I have 300 mbps fiber-to-the-house, so that isn't my problem, either.

My real problem is that LL won't optimize their software to provide a better experience to users.

Edited by Jennifer Boyle
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

You do realize that the suggestion ideas weren't pointed at you specifically, but rather meant as a suggestion? Though for the idea itself, I actually can't think of any application which will provide the user with such detailed hints. A graphic load indicator as seen in GTA V, for example, might be a nice add-on in the graphics settings.

22 minutes ago, Jennifer Boyle said:

My real problem is that LL won't optimize their software to provide a better experience to users.

The irony is that they manage to support old-as-crap toaster-like setups to most ordinary gaming rigs to superblingbling over the top and it's all expensive machines - basically on a comparable level. That's a special kind of "optimizing", in a way...

If your Threadripper and thost 128 GB RAM are bored to tears, you might start running an alt army, logging everyone in at once. 30 or so should be possible.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The only optimization Linden Lab could presently do without potentially breaking existing content would be to update to utilize newer versions of OpenGL and to utilize Vulkan.

That's it.

Until that happens, use sane settings.

EEP? That's something that's been in the pipe for a bit now - do keep up. ETA: It is also what the Windlight system was supposed to be, way back when it was first launched. You know, the system that everyone uses and that quite a few people - shortly after it was launched - were asking when it would be properly finished? The system that was sidelined in favor of pet projects and 'fixes' (some of which that broke content or were not asked for by most users) and attempts to draw in new users?

Edited by Solar Legion
  • Like 3

20 hours ago, Lillith Hapmouche said:

You do realize that the suggestion ideas weren't pointed at you specifically, but rather meant as a suggestion? Though for the idea itself, I actually can't think of any application which will provide the user with such detailed hints. A graphic load indicator as seen in GTA V, for example, might be a nice add-on in the graphics settings.

The irony is that they manage to support old-as-crap toaster-like setups to most ordinary gaming rigs to superblingbling over the top and it's all expensive machines - basically on a comparable level. That's a special kind of "optimizing", in a way...

If your Threadripper and thost 128 GB RAM are bored to tears, you might start running an alt army, logging everyone in at once. 30 or so should be possible.

I should be more restrained. I wasn't as restrained as I should be because I'm frustrated that poor performance has been allowed to continue so long, that LL hasn't been forthright about the cause, and that, due to that I have wasted so much money doing everything I could think that I could do to improve it. It feels like LL purposely withheld information because they had rather let me waste a lot of money than admit their shortcomings.

Actually, the most instances of a standard graphical viewer that I can run and get decent performance is four. According to Windows Task Manager, with more I run out of GPU resources.

You've been here over a decade, find it hard to believe you don't have a fully fledged painfully realistic set of expectations when it comes to Linden Lab and Second Life. Going a bit over kill on a PC, sure, we all do that given the chance, but I'm not buying that you're accidentally 128GB-threadripper in a hole because no one said "stop". 

If you can use task manager to see how many copies of SL it takes to get your GPU out of bed, I'm pretty sure you'd have noticed by now that each instance almost never uses more than 2GB of ram.

Look on the bright-side, you have an eye watering PC that will make most computer-bound professionals envious, and a hobby that uses almost none of it. Time to learn programming, or video editing or 3D rendering, safe in the knowledge that SL will still run fine no matter whatever else it's doing.

• Like 3

58 minutes ago, Jennifer Boyle said:

It feels like LL purposely withheld information because they had rather let me waste a lot of money than admit their shortcomings.

Have you looked at the system recommendations? They aren’t exactly encouraging people to splurge on extravagant  computer hardware.

Edited by Lyssa Greymoon

On 4/22/2020 at 3:02 PM, Jennifer Boyle said:

What monitor re*****ion are you using?

ETA: Why does the forum software not want me to say the word that sounds like REZ-O-LOO-SHUN?

the naughty words deleter probably thinks the deleted five letters is an alternative spelling of the 4 letters without the o

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

On 4/23/2020 at 12:58 AM, CoffeeDujour said:

You've been here over a decade, find it hard to believe you don't have a fully fledged painfully realistic set of expectations when it comes to Linden Lab and Second Life. Going a bit over kill on a PC, sure, we all do that given the chance, but I'm not buying that you're accidentally 128GB-threadripper in a hole because no one said "stop". 

If you can use task manager to see how many copies of SL it takes to get your GPU out of bed, I'm pretty sure you'd have noticed by now that each instance almost never uses more than 2GB of ram.

Look on the bright-side, you have an eye watering PC that will make most computer-bound professionals envious, and a hobby that uses almost none of it. Time to learn programming, or video editing or 3D rendering, safe in the knowledge that SL will still run fine no matter whatever else it's doing.

As I said in an earlier post on this thread, the reason I have such an insane amount of RAM is that I hoped that putting the SL viewer and SL data files on a ramdrive would help performance, but it didn't. At least at my level at technical competence, that seemed reasonable, since, in one of the only two sims that I frequent, I often wait, and wait, and wait for textures that should be cached to load when I logon.

If you're expecting any given place you visit within Second life to load - even from cache - within mere seconds ... don't. It won't - ever - for most places. Yes, there are exceptions (for me, my own home and a few places I frequent) but in general it can take up to a minute on a good system/connection for heavier areas to load in.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1433 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.