Secondlife 15th anniversary and CEO's letter

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2093 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Just now, LittleMe Jewell said:

/me starts thinking about what she'd like to rename her alts and searches the current Jewell account names to see what's available.

I'm also looking forward to the mad rush of folks trying to get a specific name when this all comes online.

Imagine all the wedding and divorce name fun....

every week

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, Cindy Evanier said:

Imagine all the wedding and divorce name fun....

every week

LittleMe Jewell

LittleMe somedude

LittleMe Jewell

LittleMe somedude2

LittleMe Jewell

LittleMe somedude3

Hmmm, I wonder if you'll be able to go back to a previous name.  Can you imagine divorcing Mister-turned-out-not-so-great and then find out that while you can get rid of his last name, you can't get your original one back?

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, LittleMe Jewell said:

@Patch Linden - BTW, thank you for all the fun conversation topics and speculation that you've given us.

Will we still think its fun after the 1000th -  How do I change my name back question next year?

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Sad 1

1 minute ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

LittleMe Jewell

LittleMe somedude

LittleMe Jewell

LittleMe somedude2

LittleMe Jewell

LittleMe somedude3

Hmmm, I wonder if you'll be able to go back to a previous name.  Can you imagine divorcing Mister-turned-out-not-so-great and then find out that while you can get rid of his last name, you can't get your original one back?

According to Oz Linden, speaking at the March 22nd CCUG, a user re-using a previous name they had is still TBD at the Lab.

• Thanks 2

Just now, Inara Pey said:

According to Oz Linden, speaking at the March 22nd CCUG, a user re-using a previous name they had is still TBD at the Lab.

For the chronic marriage/divorce type, I could see a good reason for just letting people go back to a previous name.

Or sexybunnydoll1, sexybunnydoll2, sexybunnydoll3 ......... sexybunnydoll999999

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Cindy Evanier said:

ooo maybe not let them use numbers at all.  More inventive names would be good

But then how would we judge those type of people?

Ummm, nvm

I'm going to create an army of LittleMe's -- LittleMe1, LittleMe2, LittleMe3 ...... 
<evil laugh>

Edited by LittleMe Jewell
  • Haha 1

Hmm, I can finally register an alt called "Resident.Resident"

Let the land rush begin!

3 minutes ago, Cindy Evanier said:

ooo maybe not let them use numbers at all.  More inventive names would be good

• Sexybunny.Doll
  • Sexy.Bunnydoll
  • Sex.Ybunnydoll
  • Se.Xybunnydoll
  • Sexybun.Nydoll
  • Haha 2
  • Sad 2

40 minutes ago, Patch Linden said:

How so?   If Babigurl69.Resident changes that name to Mayflower Daisyweather ....  that is now the name for that account.  You can not hide Mayflower Daisyweather.

On edit: this has no affect on display names and largely I do not anticipate we will change how display names work.  If anything, it somewhat sunsets the need for them.

I really appreciate your answering all these questions, but this question is about hiding *usernames*.  My username is kershe, which no one calls me in SL. It would be nice if when I choose a first name last name combo, that "kershe" could be hidden and not float like a spoiler under my name.

24 minutes ago, kershe said:

I really appreciate your answering all these questions, but this question is about hiding *usernames*.  My username is kershe, which no one calls me in SL. It would be nice if when I choose a first name last name combo, that "kershe" could be hidden and not float like a spoiler under my name.

When you make new username then you are replacing your present "kershe" username with new username.
Therefore, as far as we are concerned, the earlier username does not exist for us anymore and thus is not shown to us anywhere.

(At least this how I expect it to work.)

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Lexbot Sinister said:

When people change names, what happens to parcel banlists? Estate banlists? Security orb banlists?

parcel/estate banlists are still based on UUIDs at heart, you'd likely see your ban on SchnuffyBunneh203.Resident turning into a ban on Mary.Jane. The orbs, well, it is probable some 10 year old orbs will stop, but the newer ones should be ok.

Edited by Callum Meriman

7 minutes ago, Lexbot Sinister said:

When people change names, what happens to parcel banlists? Estate banlists? Security orb banlists?

I'll venture to say the UUID will remain the same. I believe that what the orbs and banlists rely on.

44 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

On the name change, will other avatars be able to see your name change history? “No, really..it’s ME!!”

I don't actually think everyone will be able to see your full history of changes.  However, I'm guessing that if you change your name, and someone searches Love Zhaoying, there will be some way that the search will find you.   Patch already said that they will maintain the history and there will definitely be reasons why someone will need to find people by their older names.

7 minutes ago, Jerilynn Lemon said:

I'll venture to say the UUID will remain the same.

The UUID will have to stay the same.  That is the true key to the avatar and thus in to their inventory - and probably points to all sorts of avatar related things.

Edited by LittleMe Jewell

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2093 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.