Secondlife 15th anniversary and CEO's letter

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2088 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

• 4 weeks later...

I would love to be able to hide the username from other users and just show the display name only, but I guess trolls would use that against people. I also wish we could change our names at will (or at least for a fee, like in some other games). I really hope they bring surnames back.

Nobody can figure out how to pronounce my avatars' name (rhymes with 'Neo'), and I feel like 'jester' makes it seem like I always have to joke around, lol.

On 5/18/2018 at 3:59 PM, Xio Jester said:

I also wish we could change our names at will (or at least for a fee, like in some other games). I really hope they bring surnames back

You didn't actually read this entire thread or the blog post that it is referring to, did you?

Name changes are coming - for a fee.  The new naming system will include last names.

2 hours ago, greek Wingtips said:

One has to be very careful if you increased prices if nothing changes then you find people just giving up SL and calling it a day, I own land and pay tiers like many and if I see an increase and get nothing for it I would probably just leave.

... join some group that proclaims  "the end is near" ... long before, during and after the sky is falling

All the times you said SL will die, all people run  and the sky is falling, nobody would be here anymore by now.

And i am here... and even you...so you might have to change your message sooner or later.

4 hours ago, greek Wingtips said:

One has to be very careful if you increased prices if nothing changes then you find people just giving up SL and calling it a day, I own land and pay tiers like many and if I see an increase and get nothing for it I would probably just leave.

Do you read the news? Tier price just went down...

• Like 1

On 5/19/2018 at 6:09 PM, LittleMe Jewell said:

You didn't actually read this entire thread or the blog post that it is referring to, did you?

Name changes are coming - for a fee.  The new naming system will include last names.

Don't worry, I'm not addicted to the forum, so you won't hear from me much, but thanks for answering. I'm excited for this change, even if they charge $50 USD for a name change.

• 2 months later...
14 hours ago, SamanthaPrater said:

Please at least let NON premi's do it once or twice?  that'd be unfair if we couldn't.

This is such an old thread... I suppose this refers to name changes? We could all be wrong, of course, but the general consensus seems to be that the price of Premium will be trivial compared to the cost of a name change.

On the other hand, AFAIK they haven't released any further details about pricing for any of this -- nor what the expected multiple levels of Premium subscriptions will buy, so I guess we could imagine a level of Premium that might include one name change.

Given how disruptive these name changes will be for everybody (new Friends list, who dis?) I kinda hope they'll get exponentially more expensive with each change.

12 hours ago, Alwin Alcott said:

life isn't fair, go premium and don't complain.

hmm!

paraphrasing Edgar Howe: "Complaining is the politest form of fighting for what we would we like"

i agree with @SamanthaPrater that last name changes be open to all residents. I would prefer not to complain about it afterwards, should this not happen. I prefer that it be complained about and fought for beforehand

1 hour ago, ellestones said:

i agree with @SamanthaPrater that last name changes be open to all residents.

i think there is nobody that says you can't suggest that, or want to mention it in the time before LL takes everything up as implemented.

BUT  ..it's not fair, and other non fundamented feelings add totally nothing and is whining.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Alwin Alcott said:

BUT  ..it's not fair, and other non fundamented feelings add totally nothing and is whining.

that we feel is fundamental to being human. Expressing our feelings is also fundamental.  That another people's expression of their feelings is seen as inconsequential whining, is how you feel  

15 minutes ago, ellestones said:

that we feel is fundamental to being human. Expressing our feelings is also fundamental.  That another people's expression of their feelings is seen as inconsequential whining, is how you feel  

so what you in fact say is i can't feel the way i do , what she feels is ok and is ok to expres , but my feeling is wrong, and your feeling is superior above anything that isn't agreeing with you.

let me guess... millenium snowflake?

5 minutes ago, Alwin Alcott said:

so what you in fact say is i can't feel the way i do , what she feels is ok and is ok to expres , but my feeling is wrong, and your feeling is superior above anything that isn't agreeing with you.

let me guess... millenium snowflake?

what i said was a factual statement. How we feel about factual statements is also what makes us human. How we feel can also guide our guess work

look at again please at what Samantha said.  It would be unfair if we couldn't

Samantha's qualified her feelings with: 'if we couldn't.'  Samantha in so saying is aware that this is a potential future which she doesn't want to happen

which is were I came in. Better to complain about a future before it happens, than after it happens

millenium snowflake? really Alwin, seriously 

52 minutes ago, ellestones said:

Better to complain about a future before it happens, than after it happens

I totally agree. It's no good complaining about a future after it has happened, because it's no longer a future, so there would be nothing to complain about :D

Edited by Phil Deakins
  • Haha 1

45 minutes ago, Phil Deakins said:

I totally agree. It's no good complaining about a future after it has happened, because it's no longer a future, so there would be nothing to complain about :D

as said it's not about the complaint but the reasoning  "it's not fair":  is no reason, and can't be discussed without WHY it isn't fair.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2088 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.