Secondlife 15th anniversary and CEO's letter

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2088 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

12 minutes ago, animats said:

SL's list of proposed changes seems unambitious. Nothing there seems to have the potential of doubling the user base in a year. Which is what SL needs.

I expected a mobile viewer, at least. 

I doubt seriously that LL is planning or even hoping to double the user base.

We seem to have been doing pretty well these last three or so years. If they can get attrition down to 0 and keep both the economy and the servers happy, I am thinking we will be JUST FINE.

• Like 7

7 hours ago, Chic Aeon said:

I guess I am missing the point why someone who already has a first and last name (hence at least eight years old or older (ish)) would want to change their name?  I can certainly see why those without last names might want one.  Most of the folks I know are perfectly happy with their name -- well all of them I suspect :D.  I remember one person made an alt and then wrote to tell me she was really "duwdsheps". Well fine, but how would I really know that without a lot of Q and A.  Messy. 

I completely agree. There is a big need for those with Resident last names to have a proper one, but I see no need at all for the rest of us to be able to change our names. It can lead to a lot of confusion and difficulties, and it can break products.

@Patch Linden  Yes, allow those called 'Resident' to pick a last name, but anything more than that is going too far, imo.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

If nothing else, the ability to change a name would be helpful to those who see themselves as a different gender than the one indicated by their starting name.

My name was a private joke which one other person in the entire world understood. That was nine years ago though and my SL is different from anything I could have imagined it to be. Perhaps a change is in order.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Chic Aeon said:

If anyone posted this in the VERY LONG thread at this point, I missed it. But there is a synopsis of the name change in this post: https://modemworld.me/2018/03/23/the-return-of-second-life-last-names-update-with-audio/

Well, based on that, we won't get to just pick any first/last combo that we might think of and I'm guessing that last names that are already in use probably won't come back up for additional use.  

There goes my plans for a Jewell army.   :(  :D  :P

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Bitsy Buccaneer said:

If nothing else, the ability to change a name would be helpful to those who see themselves as a different gender than the one indicated by their starting name.

My name was a private joke which one other person in the entire world understood. That was nine years ago though and my SL is different from anything I could have imagined it to be. Perhaps a change is in order.

I know a lot of people who hadn't realized when they created their account, that capitalization mattered. They've always hated it. So I can imagine some would like to simply convert their name to proper capitalization, even if it's only the first name they'd want to "change".

Edited by Alyona Su
  • Like 4

2 hours ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

Well, based on that, we won't get to just pick any first/last combo that we might think of and I'm guessing that last names that are already in use probably won't come back up for additional use.  

There goes my plans for a Jewell army.   :(  :D  :P

Well, you see, Jewell isn't really a first name. LittleMe mated with a shape-shifting alien whose culture puts the matrilineal family name first and the given name second. The Jewell X alts are all descendants of that.

Works for me :)

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, Bitsy Buccaneer said:

Well, you see, Jewell isn't really a first name. LittleMe mated with a shape-shifting alien whose culture puts the matrilineal family name first and the given name second. The Jewell X alts are all descendants of that.

Works for me :)

I'd finally have an alt with a backstory.

:SwingingFriends:

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

15 hours ago, Chic Aeon said:

I guess I am missing the point why someone who already has a first and last name (hence at least eight years old or older (ish)) would want to change their name?

There are lots avatars who have nice last name but their first name is a total mess, for example with letters and a string of numbers in it.
They might not be happy with their first name and perhaps want to change it.

8 hours ago, Phil Deakins said:

I completely agree. There is a big need for those with Resident last names to have a proper one, but I see no need at all for the rest of us to be able to change our names. It can lead to a lot of confusion and difficulties, and it can break products.

@Patch Linden  Yes, allow those called 'Resident' to pick a last name, but anything more than that is going too far, imo.

Maybe these might want to change their first name?

123456789 Spitteler
John123456 Dionysys
1234567F Foxclaw
miss1234 Aljon
GeorgeX15 Berithos

These are only few examples. There are thousands and thousands of names like this.

@Patch Linden Disregard what Phil said. ¬¬Thank you:)

• Like 3
  • Haha 5

13 minutes ago, moirakathleen said:

I'm not sure that I want a last name at this point.  I've been here over 3 years without a last name. I gave a lot of thought to the username I have.  I may change my mind, but right now I don't think like it would feel like 'me' if I had a last name.

You could change it to "Moirakathleen". ;)
(Or maybe it's not possible to change it like that, to have no last name?)

46 minutes ago, Coby Foden said:

Maybe these might want to change their first name?

123456789 Spitteler
John123456 Dionysys
1234567F Foxclaw
miss1234 Aljon
GeorgeX15 Berithos

These are only few examples. There are thousands and thousands of names like this.

Based upon the provided link to info from the inworld meeting, they won't be able to change just their first name.  Changes will use a drop-down list of available last names (like it was in the old days) and then you supply a first name to go with your selected last name.  And it sounded like existing last names would not get tossed back into the queue to be used - that the last name lists will be new last names.

4 minutes ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

Based upon the provided link to info from the inworld meeting, they won't be able to change just their first name.  Changes will use a drop-down list of available last names (like it was in the old days) and then you supply a first name to go with your selected last name.  And it sounded like existing last names would not get tossed back into the queue to be used - that the last name lists will be new last names.

Maybe it wouldn't be impossible to make it so that a person can keep the existing good last name and change only the bad first name?

Like this:
1. Write your first name.
2. Keep your existing last name - or select new last name from the list.

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, Coby Foden said:

You could change it to "Moirakathleen". ;)
(Or maybe it's not possible to change it like that, to have no last name?)

A good suggestion, if it should turn out to be possible to just change a first name without a last name.  If  not I'll have to weigh the option of getting a last name against keeping my first name in it's current state.

Edited by moirakathleen
typos

2 hours ago, moirakathleen said:

I'm not sure that I want a last name at this point.  I've been here over 3 years without a last name. I gave a lot of thought to the username I have.  I may change my mind, but right now I don't think like it would feel like 'me' if I had a last name.

What if the Lab added Kathleen to the list of allowed surnames

2 hours ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

Changes will use a drop-down list of available last names (like it was in the old days) and then you supply a first name to go with your selected last name. 

It was always so much fun watching SLNameWatch for the new surnames then rushing to make avatars with punny names.

One of the biggest reasons LL gave for removing last names was that it was just too hard thinking up new names that were 100% G rated in all languages. I am sure the community can help there, maybe the Lab could consider accepting name applications already.

I'd also like to think they did open the old names. Maybe start at 2007 names to protect the OhFours (and certainly never reuse neva). I know the plan was to keep old names retired, but meh, does it really matter that much?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2088 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.