Secondlife 15th anniversary and CEO's letter

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2093 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

6 minutes ago, Jerilynn Lemon said:

I'll venture to say the UUID will remain the same. I believe that what the orbs and banlists rely on.

That really depends on how the scripts are written. I have written scripts for a lot of systems that need to maintain a whitelist or a blacklist that the system checks as it spots an approaching avatar.  It's often best to use a UUID, but there are many times when it is more convenient for the owner to put login names into the system instead. Any system that does that may fail if residents change their login names.

9 minutes ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

The UUID will have to stay the same.  That is the true key to the avatar and thus in to their inventory - and probably points to all sorts of avatar related things.

I am now and will ever be e6a7f532-a23f-44cb-bd75-679fe7d9e991

:)

• Like 1

On Homesteads/Openspaces: The Homesteads we have now were originally called Openspaces and were indeed touted as essentially being the same as a full sim minus the prim allotment. Users were (mistakenly) told that that class of sim could handle having a Club or similar running on them and indeed even after they became what we call Homesteads, they were still told this for some time.

Outside of the reasons Linden Lab gave at the time for the change, all motives concerning the change are speculation - some of that speculation coming from those the most butthurt about it (those who lost a larger chunk of change).

On the name change bit and security systems: System level access lists go by UUID, using the FirstName/LastName and DisplayName set to that UUID as an easy identifier. Some user made security systems will use the above Name data to lok up the UUID and store that information, most won't and you'll have to keep up.

Openspace regions were originally called Void regions.

From SL Wiki: Land --

Full Region
There is one full region per server host CPU core. A region can hold up to 100 avatars and 22,500 Land Impact.

Homestead
Homestead regions were introduced in January 2009 and are only available for Residents who own at least one full region. It can hold 20 avatars, 5000 Land Impact and the amount of running scripts might be restricted in the future.

Openspace
Openspaces are, like Homesteads, only available for Residents who own at least one full Region. They support a maximum of 10 avatars and 1000 Land Impact.
Information about Openspaces (Void Regions).

For those interested, the last names topic came up for discussion at the Content Creation User Group meeting on March 22nd, 2018. I audio recorded the meeting, and have produced a summary, with audio extracts, of Oz Linden's comments on the subject from that meeting:

https://modemworld.me/2018/03/23/the-return-of-second-life-last-names-update-with-audio/

(Some of Patch's comments from this thread are also included).

Edited by Inara Pey
Added CCUG meeting date
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

47 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

New source of income, charge L$100 per name change!

Better yet -- make it only available as a Premium feature.

Name changes will cause a lot of confusion & break scripts. You look at your friend list one day and see a few names you don't recognize. Now you have to figure out which of your friends aren't on the list any more then try to match them up with the new names. I'm afraid I'm not good at remembering people's UUIDs. It will be interesting.

On the other hand, there could be a market for "name change cards" to be sent out to all your friends.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

Oh for ...

How hard is it to open up the profile for a name you don't recognize in your Friend List? It's not as if users can just insert themselves into each other's Friend List without sending a friend request and having it accepted ...

It is not at all complicated.

1 minute ago, Solar Legion said:

Oh for ...

How hard is it to open up the profile for a name you don't recognize in your Friend List? It's not as if users can just insert themselves into each other's Friend List without sending a friend request and having it accepted ...

It is not at all complicated.

'Twas meant to be tongue-in-cheek.

49 minutes ago, Solar Legion said:

What about friendship cards though?

sabrinasalem.gif.6dbd1e203171e0f3a81ae1f27aa55536.gif

• Haha 3

I guess I am missing the point why someone who already has a first and last name (hence at least eight years old or older (ish)) would want to change their name?  I can certainly see why those without last names might want one.  Most of the folks I know are perfectly happy with their name -- well all of them I suspect :D.  I remember one person made an alt and then wrote to tell me she was really "duwdsheps". Well fine, but how would I really know that without a lot of Q and A.  Messy. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Chic Aeon said:

I guess I am missing the point why someone who already has a first and last name (hence at least eight years old or older (ish)) would want to change their name?  I can certainly see why those without last names might want one.  Most of the folks I know are perfectly happy with their name -- well all of them I suspect :D.  I remember one person made an alt and then wrote to tell me she was really "duwdsheps". Well fine, but how would I really know that without a lot of Q and A.  Messy. 

Some of us made the best of what was available at the time, sometimes coming up with cuteish word plays.

Alternate accounts are a whole other kettle of fish and really would require someone outright telling you who they are.

38 minutes ago, Chic Aeon said:

I guess I am missing the point why someone who already has a first and last name would want to change their name? Most of the folks I know are perfectly happy with their name

I could be wrong, but I think one of the options available will be the choice to not change your name if you're happy with the one you've already got.

It will probably be free as well!

• Haha 1

57 minutes ago, Chic Aeon said:

I guess I am missing the point why someone who already has a first and last name (hence at least eight years old or older (ish)) would want to change their name? 

I'd change mine to Ritsu Meriman, and delete the display-name saying that.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Chic Aeon said:

I have a few alts with full names, but they were play on words and while I liked it at the time, I'm over it now.  If they don't charge much of a fee, I'll likely rename them to be part of the Jewell family. My primary alt is already a Jewel, so why not a whole family of us.

• Like 3

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2093 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.