Secondlife 15th anniversary and CEO's letter

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2066 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

1 minute ago, bigmoe Whitfield said:

hopefully the option to change lastnames for a normal resident account will be possible too.  like to get a few alts that are sibblings (what I call alts) with the same lastname as my concurrent one.

When I see someone with a last name, I can vaguely guess their age, not that an older avatar is better.  Two people I follow on Flickr have the last name Newall and I have to admit, I mainly started following them because I thought it was cool to be associated with people who have the same last names as me. So I'd rather they don't allow existing last names to be used again. Another idea would to add an old last name after your new last name like people who want to keep their two names when they get married?

Also, didn't they used to have some limited last names such as Gossipgirl?

1 hour ago, Prisqua Newall said:

Also, didn't they used to have some limited last names such as Gossipgirl?

According to SLnamewatch Gossipgirl was the most registered last name but it was only available from one third party registration portal i used to see loads of people around with the name but they now seem to have disappeared from SL i do remember using the SLnamewatch site to secure the last name Ghost for an alt as i used to get ghosted a lot i could only get it through one of the third party registration sites that used to be around

there are plenty of last names that have no registered users those with few users likely either bought by businesses with an SL presence or people paid to have a specific name

Generally I've hated SLBs since SL5B when a whole, sizable group of Avatars were told "your participation is not welcome". And again, we see the Lab using SLB to once again trot out some new ways to screw us over. They seriously never change.

In the coming months some other fees may increase, including Marketplace commissions, Linden Dollar exchange fees, and cashout fees. 

Ah yes, here it comes. I imagine the fees for buying linden dollars on the Lindex will rise from $0.99 to $2.00 per transaction. Maybe even more.

In addition, we will soon announce new tiered Premium membership offerings that allow Residents to choose the membership level that provides the benefits most important to them.

Say good-bye to the US$72/Year premium account getting free land for just $12 guys. There will likely be a new US$5/Month charge for premium  accounts wanting land. Linden homes will remain free.

Edited by Callum Meriman

9 minutes ago, Callum Meriman said:

*adds vodka

Might be the only way many merchants make it through the upcoming squeezes.
I'm lucky to still get some custom jobs, paid through Paypal. I've got one now where my customer paid me 500 usd to start and added 200 usd to his account for me to buy whatever I want, and then he ran off to Hong Kong and I can do what I want on his 2 sims.
But reaslistically, how many jobs remain like this? And all the stolen content on the MP, and people who model for free or really cheap, just for fun, more of it loaded onto the MP each day.
Our days of being even a starving artist here are numbered I fear :(

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

The increase in Linden dollar purchase fee is the one that sticks in my craw the most, although I am sure we will see the Lab slip in some other "feature" to help us, maybe increase the texture upload from L$10 to L$20.

Well, I have the vodka still from the lemonade above but the lemons are squeezed dry, so let's change the idiom a little

"When life hands you rocks, make a Bloody Mary"

bloodfromastone.15704.jpg.9749f6c5c18b4af242210e3ecdc79b92.jpg

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Prisqua Newall said:

I've never heard of SLnamewatch nor did I know about a third party registration portal, though now I wish I had known and probably would have secured a few surnames too.

http://slnamewatch.com/

I don't go to it that often, but it's still interesting to see how many last names they had and how many people share yours.

3 hours ago, Claireschen Hesten said:

According to SLnamewatch Gossipgirl was the most registered last name but it was only available from one third party registration portal i used to see loads of people around with the name but they now seem to have disappeared from SL

According to search there are five folks left with the original Gossipgirl last name. Oddly they all have VERY odd first names like gossipgirl100 so that must have been part of the sign up process (no picking a first name). I remember the gossipgirl sim from about ten years ago or so. A few shops and lots of fake big buildings and there was a restaurant where folks used to hang out and  -- well, gossip. I hadn't watched the show back then but have watched it all a couple of times on the web. I had NO idea what was going on back then.  I don't see a lot of the old names any more and that makes since as a lot of folks have moved on or left. 

I don't really have any close friends here that I can think of that are missing last names  -- funny :D.  

Looking at search again, maybe those guys had Gossipgirl for a first name and could add a last?  There are lots of those guys still listed but looks like most just came and went and never even filled out their profile. 

Edited by Chic Aeon

The "tiered Premium" subscription model is intriguing for which features go in which tiers. I mean, will all Premium members get stipends? or will they all get Live Chat support? or will they all get the ability to buy Mainland? 

Might some get the ability to own standalone Homesteads?

To me, though, the most interesting of the "new Premium abilities" is grid-scope Experiences, which we were promised way back when we were testing the feature, the lack of which has been a big limiting factor to the adoption of Experiences for everyday SL use. (That, and the scary long list of permissions any Experience must obtain whether it needs them or not.)

Incidentally, I've always argued that the current Marketplace commissions are way, way too low -- but they cannot practically raise them to the standard 30% without unifying Marketplace and in-world commerce (which they could have done in Sansar, but... oh, who cares?). Otherwise there will develop an in-world black market where creators sell cheaper "knock-offs" of their very own content to avoid paying the online store commission. (There's also a risk of a whole competing online store; it can't be as fully platform-integrated as Marketplace, but we all know the origins of Marketplace are an existence proof.)

44 minutes ago, Qie Niangao said:

Might some get the ability to own standalone Homesteads?

*Washes your mouth with soap.

Qie, you were there for the absolute disaster that was Jack Linden and should recall very clearly the total, utter omnishambles that occured last time the lab tried to mess with homestead ownership requirements!

privateestates.png.56761dc0a2758106bd3e0206dfe85e7a.png

Look at that 2008 spike in region ownership, and the sudden drop. That is 101% the work of Jack Linden under the stewardship of M, as they messed about with homestead ownership requirements, then pulled it back with increased fees. I abandoned mine then, as many did.

Never again, please.

(*insert's love newspaper/ych image)

Edited by Callum Meriman
  • Like 2
  • Sad 1

Just now, Prisqua Newall said:

excuse me for my ignorance, but wouldn't the allowance be under each name?

Sorry, didn't mean to sound snarky O_O.

All the alts join the same group, the group buys the land.

Each pays U$71 a year and gets US$60 back in stipends - total US$12 for each per year. That means US$60 a month for a full mainland region.

If Phil is doing that!

Again sorry if you took my words ina way I didn't mean them :)

13 minutes ago, Callum Meriman said:

Qie, you were there for the absolute disaster that was Jack Linden

So was I and, although I really didn't like Jack (I was the one who announced his imminent departure to the forum - on the same day as Jack himself found out - and was very pleased to do so), I can't blame him for that fiaso. Not him alone, anyway. He was a manager but escapades like that had to be down to a group of people at LL, including Jack.

• Like 1

Yep, Jack under M's stewardship, there would have been others behind the scenes, but ultimately M approved the disaster and Jack was the one who smiled at the start and then smiled at the end as he tried to polish the turd into a gold bar.

Wow, what an absolute, unmitigated disaster that was. I'd rate it as probably the biggest Lab stuffups in SL history, and the Lab has made some doozies over a decade and a half.

All I ask is we never go back to relaxed homestead requirements - the Private estate market would drop overnight.

Edited by Callum Meriman
  • Like 1

25 minutes ago, Prisqua Newall said:

60 alts? Wow Why? What do you do with 60 alts?

And @Callum Meriman

No I'm not doing what you suggested, Callum lol. I did those sums already, even before the upping of the tier-free allowance - but the problem with it is that it requires a huge initial outlay, which I'm certainly not going to stump up.

I don't do anything with the alts, Prisgua. Not now. Just under of 40 of them were created as traffic bots, back when they were allowed. The rest were created to place links in their profiles, which helped a lot with search rankings. That many are useless to me now. I ought to have sold them before the announcement that last names are coming back, didn't I? lol

Edited by Phil Deakins
  • Haha 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2066 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.