Iridescent texture?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1696 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hello! I have been see many store clothing has Iridescent texture on it.
I have a store in SL and I use Maya.
But I still can't figure out how to make this material...

Here is sample :  https://i.pinimg.com/564x/b9/42/49/b942492cb0e12eb31e85d92ac9f0c15b.jpg 
https://i.pinimg.com/564x/93/fd/cb/93fdcb4abaa990fc74491d95bba1e28f.jpg

Please tell me how to do this if you know.
Thank you so much !!>_<

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Rolig Loon said:

Use a diffuse texture with that random irridescent pattern and then apply a specular texture with fairly high reflectivity parameters?

Thank you at first .
But that is not the effect I want >_<
I want it reflect along with skirt..

2 hours ago, LiuMiwa said:

Thank you at first .
But that is not the effect I want >_<
I want it reflect along with skirt..

Do it the other way around then. Use a solid color as the diffuse, and add the iridescent texture in the specular map slot.

Edited by arton Rotaru
  • Like 2

i guess you mean the baked iridescence effect on the color too.

If this is the case, that is done in Maya using the Hypershade. Among the Utility nodes, there is one called Sampler Info. The following pictures show the node set up

Screenshot_2.thumb.png.bf13c4cb25ea2021473bf17e7848cf3f.png

Connect the facing ratio from the Sampler Info node to the U coordinate of a Ramp Texture node, as shown here

Screenshot_3.png.ca583d12260bfce9126efb8713812ac7.png

Make sure that the ramp node is set to U ramp, choose the interpolation you like, then choose some colors for the ramp. Each color will appear on faces that are angled away from the camera consistently to their position on the ramp

Screenshot_4.thumb.png.a4802e128b65ae57870fabc0c9eb549d.png

Final effect on a randomly squashed sphere. This effect can be baked for any attribute you will connect the ramp node to. In this case it's connected to the color node to better show it on screen instead of having to render it. Notice that the right-most color on the ramp is the one that shows on the surface when it's perpendicular to the camera, the left-most is the color applied to the most facing-away areas

facingRatio.gif.e90827928308364007eb032f59d6fb5a.gif

Hope this helps :)

• Thanks 3

9 hours ago, OptimoMaximo said:

If this is the case, that is done in Maya using the Hypershade. Among the Utility nodes, there is one called Sampler Info. The following pictures show the node set up

Connect the facing ratio from the Sampler Info node to the U coordinate of a Ramp Texture node, as shown here

Make sure that the ramp node is set to U ramp, choose the interpolation you like, then choose some colors for the ramp. Each color will appear on faces that are angled away from the camera consistently to their position on the ramp

Final effect on a randomly squashed sphere. This effect can be baked for any attribute you will connect the ramp node to. In this case it's connected to the color node to better show it on screen instead of having to render it. Notice that the right-most color on the ramp is the one that shows on the surface when it's perpendicular to the camera, the left-most is the color applied to the most facing-away areas

Thank you so much!! 
This help me a lot! :D
Big big thanks to you!

• Like 1

• 1 year later...
On 3/21/2018 at 4:12 PM, OptimoMaximo said:

I can probably put in some more hours to figure out the answer to this, but I thought I'd ask here. You sir, have helped me a lot.

The node setup works great in the render view-port, but I'm having a problem getting the effect to show up as a baked 2-D texture. What am I missing?

Here is a super quick snap of the 3D viewport using Arnold:

d8449be880f3922189656d867b3b2907.thumb.png.3335506849064e284eb6cd041a54b51a.png

Here is what I'm getting when using Arnold's bake to texture feature (the front piece):

104cddbd803e0a7da1848f333dc781ae.png.1183641b348b2adbb2b57878c9cb6559.png

It's only showing the right most color, not the full ramp effect.

Mind you, I haven't refined it to as I want and they are very quick noisy renders, just trying to get the concept down. Also, I've only been in Maya for about a week, so I'm sure I'm missing something key. I'm using the same node setup as you had posted, with the exception of adding aistandard in place of the lambert, but I was getting the same result with lambert.

Any tips or clues? What am I missing? Thanks!

6 hours ago, imacrabpinch said:

It's only showing the right most color, not the full ramp effect.

Arnold bake works using a simulated camera to snapshot from each surface normal by default. It worked in Arnold4, but i haven't tried with Arnold5 yet. Your best bet in this regard for now is to try baking its albedo with Turtle, using the camera setting as any other setting except surface front, which is the default, and then postprocess that over the arnold bake result. I don't have access to Maya until tomorrow, so i can't do experiments for now. 

• Thanks 1

On 9/1/2019 at 6:23 AM, OptimoMaximo said:

Arnold bake works using a simulated camera to snapshot from each surface normal by default. It worked in Arnold4, but i haven't tried with Arnold5 yet. Your best bet in this regard for now is to try baking its albedo with Turtle, using the camera setting as any other setting except surface front, which is the default, and then postprocess that over the arnold bake result. I don't have access to Maya until tomorrow, so i can't do experiments for now. 

Thanks for your help! Took some time, but I think I figured out something I can work with. I was able to bake the diffuse using the transfer maps feature (under texturing), just had to bring in my low poly model. I couldn't figure out turtle, as the tutorials and documentation all pointed towards a texture baking editor which I can't seem to find in 2019.

1 hour ago, imacrabpinch said:

Thanks for your help! Took some time, but I think I figured out something I can work with. I was able to bake the diffuse using the transfer maps feature (under texturing), just had to bring in my low poly model. I couldn't figure out turtle, as the tutorials and documentation all pointed towards a texture baking editor which I can't seem to find in 2019.

Glad you figured it out. I've been trying it out today, and it didn't work for me too on both Arnold and Turtle. Good to know that it still works with the transfer maps tool, i guess it's old enough to not have been broken by recent developments :D anyway, Turtle is a plug in, you first need to activate it in Windows -> preferences-> plug in manager, then in the render settings, switch renderer to Turtle and the baking editor you saw is in there. Very useful plug in, extremely flexible and versatile, although it looks intimidatingly overwhelming at first.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1696 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.