neighbor's particle emitter flowing through my parcel

Lara Panthar

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2220 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I recently got a new neighbor on the parcel next to the one I have owned for more than two years which is a "jungle theme". This new neighbor has set up a snowflake emitter that is now covering part of my "jungle". I have asked them to move it to the other side of their parcel, away from mine, or to change the script to emit inside a smaller radius. No response from the neighbor so far. People come to my parcel to experience the tropical jungle experience, so obviously this is bad for business, not to mention annoying. Is this reportable as an "abuse" of my parcel? I plan to be patient a bit longer for the new owner to respond, but I'd like to know if I can send in an abuse report for this if they refuse to cooperate. Thanks 

16 minutes ago, Lara Panthar said:

I recently got a new neighbor on the parcel next to the one I have owned for more than two years which is a "jungle theme". This new neighbor has set up a snowflake emitter that is now covering part of my "jungle". I have asked them to move it to the other side of their parcel, away from mine, or to change the script to emit inside a smaller radius. No response from the neighbor so far. People come to my parcel to experience the tropical jungle experience, so obviously this is bad for business, not to mention annoying. Is this reportable as an "abuse" of my parcel? I plan to be patient a bit longer for the new owner to respond, but I'd like to know if I can send in an abuse report for this if they refuse to cooperate. Thanks 

Whether or not LL would act on it, if you get no response I would probably report it as parcel encroachment. 

46 minutes ago, Lara Panthar said:

This new neighbor has set up a snowflake emitter that is now covering part of my "jungle".

You might try turning it off yourself if possible.

If it's coming from a transparent prim you can highlight transparency (Control/Alt/T) to see it...then click to get a menu to set parameters or turn on/off (unless they have it set to 'owner only').   Press the same keys (at the same time) to remove highlight transparency.

The whole thing is a big bummer. The parcel owner has also neglected to check the box that restricts object sounds to his parcel..so I keep getting the lovely snow level update from his emitter as well...What is the point of spending 10 years in SL creating and selling if one noob can show up next door and ruin it all? I am very frustrated.

16 minutes ago, Lara Panthar said:

The whole thing is a big bummer. The parcel owner has also neglected to check the box that restricts object sounds to his parcel..so I keep getting the lovely snow level update from his emitter as well...What is the point of spending 10 years in SL creating and selling if one noob can show up next door and ruin it all? I am very frustrated.

if on mainland - file an AR and if you´re renting from someone report them to your Landpeople... if that´s a repeating order and they don´t react to you ... I´d consider it trolling and it´s harming your business. You tried the nice way

My neighbors and I filed a report for some similar issues a couple of weeks ago. SEVERAL of is reported. The problem did eventually get solved but it was solved by the land owner, not the renter --- so make sure that the offending object belongs to the owner of the land. If not, you have another avenue to pursue. Also make sure you send a NOTECARD and not an IM as lots of people have IMs capped.  In the past when Linden Lab DID act on a  report like this, it was NOT FAST, like a month. So they seem to be very low on the "todo" list. 

Can can derender and blacklist it for yourself of course, but this doesn't solve the issue for visitors. 

Thanks for the good advice. I own my parcel on the mainland, and I have sent a notecard to both the land owner as well as the owner of the emitter. Still not a word but I am crossing my fingers they have just not logged in to correct the problem. Wishful thinking on part, I know. I have also taken an inworld snapshot of the snow on my parcel which I will submit as well with my complaint if I do not hear from them. I appreciate the advice from each of you. Thanks

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Lara Panthar said:

Thanks for the good advice. I own my parcel on the mainland, and I have sent a notecard to both the land owner as well as the owner of the emitter. Still not a word but I am crossing my fingers they have just not logged in to correct the problem. Wishful thinking on part, I know. I have also taken an inworld snapshot of the snow on my parcel which I will submit as well with my complaint if I do not hear from them. I appreciate the advice from each of you. Thanks

The other thing you can do is turn off particles on your own preferences to get rid of the view of partices.

Go to Me at the top of the screen (on the regular SL viewer) then Graphics then Advanced then Particles and move down from 4096 to 0.

To be sure, now you can't see ANY particles which means your own, i.e. on a candle. But it may be worth it.

5 hours ago, Lara Panthar said:

If you right-click on one of the snowflakes one of the options will be "Block particle owner." That will make the snowflakes disappear for you, but it will also mean that the owner won't be able to contact you, and people visiting your lot will need to block it themselves.

I had a similar issue except it wasn't a few innocent snowflakes it was multiple griefer particle spam emitters on land that neighboured me on the 0,0,0 corner of my place and one of the emitters spewing the offensive particle griefing spam was placed right on the corner that bordered with me flooding my store/build/studio area and the welcome centre with particle spam as contacting the land owner did nothing it took me a good week of AR-ing daiiy with all relevant info i could pull up in the screen shot to get it gone

Mainland being mainland - in about 90 days they will move on.

This is part of the pleasure for some people, the vibrancy and eternal change. Sometimes you get great neighbors, then they sell up and the worst nightmare on the planet moves in, then they move on and you are alone in the region for years, until someone nice moves in again to start the cycle all over again.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Callum Meriman said:

This is part of the pleasure for some people, the vibrancy and eternal change. Sometimes you get great neighbors, then they sell up and the worst nightmare on the planet moves in, then they move on and you are alone in the region for years, until someone nice moves in again to start the cycle all over again.

There are not that much nice things being heard about madmainland.
Why is it still something, people head for? Its cheaper than the private owned sims?

1 hour ago, Resi Pfeffer said:

Why is it still something, people head for? Its cheaper than the private owned sims?

Generally-speaking: yes. And there are other things about it, too: no one can ever take it away from you (eject you or ban you from it) and you can do anything you want within TOS - landscape, terraform and all the rest. BUT< Those freedoms go for your neighbors as well and as you can see in the OP description: some neighbors can be uncouth rude jerks.

The good news is that 90% of the mainland is just fine. Scenarios like these are the exception. It sounds like the OP has a destination attraction set up. Though if it were just her home she could easily set the land for sale and go buy another elsewhere - there are a lot of options, all are context-sensitive, of course.

Edited by Alyona Su
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Resi Pfeffer said:

The worst parts of Second Life are on Mainland but so are the best parts.

The best parts are the places where the landowners and residents respect each other and build scenes that compliment each other. It's quite rare but if you find one of those places and your idea fits the underlying theme, you get something that is so much bigger and richer and feels so much more "real" than anything you can possibly create on your own on an island.

The worst parts are the places where there are conflicts between neighboring builds. Unfortunately that is far more common and many people seem to believe all of Mainland is that way.

2 hours ago, ChinRey said:

The worst parts of Second Life are on Mainland but so are the best parts.

The best parts are the places where the landowners and residents respect each other and build scenes that compliment each other. It's quite rare but if you find one of those places and your idea fits the underlying theme, you get something that is so much bigger and richer and feels so much more "real" than anything you can possibly create on your own on an island.

The worst parts are the places where there are conflicts between neighboring builds. Unfortunately that is far more common and many people seem to believe all of Mainland is that way.

Seen both of this so much on the snow mainland continent where I have my own home. There's several (!) of these landowners working together to create a theme or to make a little snow town/snow place to explore.

However the amount of people buying a snow parcel only to lay down a flat prim with a grass texture as a base is freaking astounding. Whyyyyy not rent freaking grassland then? =/

Edited by Syn Anatine
  • Thanks 2

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2220 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.