Object to object communication

Rhino246

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2221 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hello,

I am wondering how does aeros production (HUD<->prims) or other separate objects communicate.

I red that it works via linked-messages. But in wiki it writes that Linkedmessage function can communicate only in the same prim between scripts. Therefore, if there is 2 separate object, does the only solution is e.mail and http?

Thank you ^^

2 hours ago, Rhino246 said:

Hello,

I am wondering how does aeros production (HUD<->prims) or other separate objects communicate.

I red that it works via linked-messages. ...

What you may be describing here is an API that uses link-messaging between a licensed relay script and other user-supplied scripts in the same object. The relay script, however, would communicate with the HUD using different, object-to-object communication.

If either the HUD or the other object know the avatar to which the other one is attached (perhaps they're both attached to the same avatar), then they can start communicating by sending llRegionSayTo() that avatar's UUID, and then all scripts attached to that avatar will get sent the message, and if they're listening on the right channel, receive it in their listen() handlers. Because it's most efficient to only send to the intended recipient(s), the scripts may narrow their llListen()s to just the sender's UUID, and the sender only llRegionSayTo() the specific recipient's UUID, once communications are established.

There are a number of other ways for objects to communicate, useful for different circumstances; the two you mentioned, email and http (and shared use of an Experience's persistent store) are particularly relevant when communicating between distant sims.

• Like 2

Yeah, linked messages are for communicating with scripts within the same object, and llSay, llWhisper, llRegionSay, and llRegionSayTo are for talking to unlinked or separate objects. I tend to vary the methods I use, depending on what the overall effect is that I'm trying to create...

For example, if I want it to be a private, hidden interaction between one single instance of an object and a separate object owned by another person, say, a person's combat meter recording a hit, I'd get and use their key, and use llRegionSayTo in order to speak only to that one person's combat meter.

On the other hand, if it's a grenade, and I want it to have an area of effect, I tell it to use llWhisper on the secret channel, and everyone within ten meters who has the combat meter on will be affected.

I think it's best to learn every way, and not just stop when you find "the thing that works", because then no matter what you're trying to do, you'll have a solution.

Edited by Berksey
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, Rhino246 said:

Hello,

I red that it works via linked-messages. But in wiki it writes that Linkedmessage function can communicate only in the same prim between scripts. Therefore, if there is 2 separate object, does the only solution is e.mail and http?

Thank you ^^

Aeros offers an "API Partner Script" if you're specifically needing to make your application work with it.

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2221 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.