What is wrong with men from Thailand ?

Odie001

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2218 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

5 hours ago, Qie Niangao said:

I'd want to establish that this female would have better success portraying a male avatar from somewhere not especially associated with any particular race. Cleveland, perhaps.

I don't know much (anything!) about Cleveland - does it really have nothing in the way of a demographic? The phrasing seems to imply that all races are pretty much equally represented there, or something similar. Am I mis-reading?

7 minutes ago, LexxiXhan said:

I don't know much (anything!) about Cleveland - does it really have nothing in the way of a demographic? The phrasing seems to imply that all races are pretty much equally represented there, or something similar. Am I mis-reading?

They have The Browns,which I guess is like the worst sports team in the history of sports teams ever..

That's what I've heard anyways..

ETA: This has me curious about something,if anyone knows..What is A Brown?

Edited by Ceka Cianci
  • Haha 1

I've never met a Thai in SL, man or woman. I would probably ask about everyday life in the country or about the latest local news because it's nice to hear first hand accounts. I've only heard of Italian and Brazilian men in SL being too forward and asking for RL info.

43 minutes ago, Ceka Cianci said:

They have The Browns,which I guess is like the worst sports team in the history of sports teams ever..

That's what I've heard anyways..

ETA: This has me curious about something,if anyone knows..What is A Brown?

The team was actually named after one of their co-founders, Paul Brown

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

56 minutes ago, LexxiXhan said:

I have no idea about the town myself. I only meant "Cleveland" to be distinct but neither distinctive nor distinguished. But for all I know, it may be an exotic place world renowned for its disproportionate population of purple people. In that case I must have meant Cincinnati.

• Haha 2

5 hours ago, Bree Giffen said:

I've never met a Thai in SL, man or woman. I would probably ask about everyday life in the country or about the latest local news because it's nice to hear first hand accounts. I've only heard of Italian and Brazilian men in SL being too forward and asking for RL info.

I have, and Thai guys are horndogs just as much as any other guys.

5 hours ago, Love Zhaoying said:

Agree, title makes it sound as if poster thinks there is something wrong with Thai men!

That wasn't my point, Love.  The OP was very clear that s/he was just puzzled by the reaction of the women s/he met.  My point is that the problem is most likely with the women, not their (perceived) Thai companion.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Lindal Kidd said:

That wasn't my point, Love.  The OP was very clear that s/he was just puzzled by the reaction of the women s/he met.  My point is that the problem is most likely with the women, not their (perceived) Thai companion.

Yes agree, emphasis was my own.

6 hours ago, Lindal Kidd said:

I think you are asking the wrong question.  You should be asking yourself, "What is wrong with the women at Frank's?"

I'm not being facetious here, I am quite serious.  Could it be that the ladies who go to Frank's to get picked up are prone to prejudice?  If so, why?  I can think of a number of reasons, but they all boil down to, "these are not the sort of people you really want to know anyway."

Or perhaps some of them go there simply to dance and NOT be picked up, and have had bad experiences with men from Thailand.

Hell we could speculate all day long, there could be any number of reasons. I can say that more often than not when men initiate the conversation in a lot of places, they have a plan in mind, not just simple conversation. Some women get tired of it, lol, and may well assume that's where the convo is headed due to past experiences, *especially at that place (which is a place all unto its own and not indicative of the whole of sl, really). While there are plenty of folks that go there, primarily to find a hookup, there are also those that go there just to dance...there seems to be no real middle ground for the most part..at least when it comes to folks that go there alone. 

Just as we can't assume there is something inherently wrong with men from Thailand, we can't always assume that anyone (male or female) is obligated to have a conversation with someone, regardless of the manners exhibited )good, or bad). It's also likely that all five of them were discussing the fact that you were going from woman to woman, and laughing about it (not that such a thing is nice, but it happens more often than people think, even among what some might think are strangers).

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Odie001 said:

Hello everyone, 

I have a question that I would like to have an honest and straight forward opinion from all of you. Please note that this topic is not meant to create any conflict, it is just out of my innocent curiosity. 

I am a Thai woman from Thailand, my main account is female, but i also have an alt account as a male form for the purpose of making SL machinima, but i never used him in the public. Last week i decided to try him out in the public to see how i would experience as a male avi. So, I went to Frank's Place Ballroom, and I randomly started a private conversation with 5 women there (one at a time), they were all Americans (specified in the profile). The conversations went very well as i was very polite, respectful, and no sexual at all, just general conversations. Just after about 10 lines, they asked me where i am from. So i told them that i am from Thailand. Suddenly they all went silent, no words from them after that, one of them even left the scene without saying anything.  

I did not ask them what's wrong. At first i thought that they were afraid of the cultural differences, but later on, i came to think that i never had that problem as a female avi before (my female account has been regularly active since 2010), as a female avi when i told people that i am from Thailand, they were all fine, most of them replied that they liked my country or they have been to, something like that, and they all continued the conversation. 

But why it's different to my male form ? What's wrong with appearing to be a Thai man from Thailand ? 

Where you are come later. I am from Taiwan and I don't see women stop talking to me because of that.

I would say talk about more interesting things than "I am from X" or "My name is Jeff" It is not a job interview. And nobody is obligated to be engaged in a conversation , if they don't wanna talk, then don't. You got to have better things to do in life than trying to earn the approval of random people on the net. 

Talk about something of interest or just don't talk at all 

My personal recommendation is that you stop caring and stop claiming victimization based on your origin. Even if they don't talk to you because you are from Thailand so what? Just move on and don't be a whimp. 

Also, try talking to males, just kick it off by saying "Hi I am from X", I bet you the response will be either silence or "Ok", because there is no context. No context = no chat material. Women usually go silent instead of telling you that you are boring out of nicety. Look at people's interest, even just their profile pic will give away some insight into how you would open the conversation.

How do you know if they don't talk to you because of your origin, or you simply arrive at that conclusion by yourself ? The issue with people now is that they look for people to blame when something go wrong instead of reflect at what can be improved at personal level. 

Edited by iamyourneighbour
  • Like 4

7 hours ago, Lindal Kidd said:

That's the whole point, OP arrived at the conclusion that they didn't want to talk because of his origin when in fact the source of the problem is likely the way he opened the conversation.

Starting by stating your origin is something 12 year old playing FPS do when they get on voice chat. 

• Like 1

I have no horse in this race and no opinion on the OP's question, but there's some misreading going on here, viz. -

2 hours ago, iamyourneighbour said:

the source of the problem is likely the way he opened the conversation.

She, not he, as per the original post that you quoted:

I am a Thai woman from Thailand, my main account is female, but i also have an alt account as a male form for the purpose of making SL machinima

the way he opened the conversation

She didn't open the conversation with where she was from. The mention of location happened a reasonable way into the conversation, as per:

Just after about 10 lines, they asked me where i am from.

Where you are come later.

The women asked her, ten lines into the conversation, where she was from, as per:

Just after about 10 lines, they asked me where i am from.

So she answered, as one does when asked a question that can be answered easily.

Lastly:

3 hours ago, iamyourneighbour said:

Just move on and don't be a whimp.

Tough man-to-man advice, eh? I suspect the tone of your reply might have been a little bit different if you'd noticed she was actually a woman IRL. Ironically, that's what triggered the initial experience detailed in her original post:

i also have an alt account as a male form for the purpose of making SL machinima, but i never used him in the public. Last week i decided to try him out in the public to see how i would experience as a male avi.

• Like 4

45 minutes ago, Skell Dagger said:

I have no horse in this race and no opinion on the OP's question, but there's some misreading going on here, viz. -

She, not he, as per the original post that you quoted:

She didn't open the conversation with where she was from. The mention of location happened a reasonable way into the conversation, as per:

The women asked her, ten lines into the conversation, where she was from, as per:

So she answered, as one does when asked a question that can be answered easily.

Lastly:

Tough man-to-man advice, eh? I suspect the tone of your reply might have been a little bit different if you'd noticed she was actually a woman IRL. Ironically, that's what triggered the initial experience detailed in her original post:

Man or woman, to sum it up, OP takes a very assumptive step in simply thinking it's based on the country of origin. Plus, I would really stick with not being a whimp regardless of gender. If someone don't want to talk to you for whatever reason, just move on. What's so difficult about that concept?

Indeed I did not read most of it because the essence of that original post is "Omg someone else is 100% of the problem because x and y, it cant be me!"

I mean, are you financially hurt, or has your house burnt down as a result of someone not talking to you on SL? Maybe if you are asking for a refund and the merchant has been away for the last ten years or when tenants bailing on you, but not when you are just in a social situation talking to random people, I could care less if they reply or not. 

So yeah I would still say, people need to grow up, regardless of gender. Just don't be a whimp!

Edited by iamyourneighbour

16 minutes ago, iamyourneighbour said:

Man or woman, to sum it up, OP takes a very assumptive step in simply thinking it's based on the country of origin. Plus, I would really stick with not being a whimp regardless of gender. If someone don't want to talk to you for whatever reason, just move on. What's so difficult about that concept?

Indeed I did not read most of it because the essence of that original post is "Omg someone else is 100% of the problem because x and y, it cant be me!"

I mean, are you financially hurt, or has your house burnt down as a result of someone not talking to you on SL? Maybe if you are asking for a refund and the merchant has been away for the last ten years or when tenants bailing on you, but not when you are just in a social situation talking to random people, I could care less if they reply or not. 

So yeah I would still say, people need to grow up, regardless of gender. Just don't be a whimp!

The word is WIMP. There is no H in it. 

She isn't being one, she asked a question. Why did it trigger you so badly that you had to rant at her and make tons of assumptions? Good lord, if you come across like this in conversation i would bet you get a lot of silence responses... 

• Like 2

Maybe it's just that they weren't there to pull, but to dance? If I went to Franks, which I would if anyone went with me!, i'd maybe reply to be polite but wouldn't be interested in carrying on a long conversation. Maybe the one that left crashed or got a TP? Maybe some were friends and knew you were going from one to another? I really don't think it's about where you're from, or hope not, because it's SL & that doesn't matter unless you plan to take it to RL

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Drake1 Nightfire said:

The word is WIMP. There is no H in it. 

She isn't being one, she asked a question. Why did it trigger you so badly that you had to rant at her and make tons of assumptions? Good lord, if you come across like this in conversation i would bet you get a lot of silence responses... 

when-youre-losing-an-online-argument-but-the-other-person-29696709.png.cbcac5d0630d640c908dfa66b948a102.png

• Haha 2

18 hours ago, Callum Meriman said:

There is. Americans and the rest of the world spell it differently. As in colour, realise and metre.

Did you know the first standard US Dictionary came out a few years before the British one. Before that neither country had a standardized spelling system. Some native English countries, like Jamaica, still have no standard spelling system for their own dialects. And I'm not sure either the US or the UK has an actual legal standardized spelling, like say, Japan does for it's language (thankfully too... one of the great things about this language shared by various former members of the British Empire is that it has so few standards that it is able to adapt quickly to changing times, and adjust spelling, grammar, and vocabulary as needed).

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Pussycat Catnap said:

Did you know the first standard US Dictionary came out a few years before the British one. Before that neither country had a standardized spelling system. Some native English countries, like Jamaica, still have no standard spelling system for their own dialects. And I'm not sure either the US or the UK has an actual legal standardized spelling, like say, Japan does for it's language (thankfully too... one of the great things about this language shared by various former members of the British Empire is that it has so few standards that it is able to adapt quickly to changing times, and adjust spelling, grammar, and vocabulary as needed).

Do you agree that the statement "It's wimp, there is no H in it" is in fact wrong?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2218 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.