Forum suggestions

Bebe Bunny

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2210 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

and as if they were watching.. the return of last names

The return of Last Names - You’ve asked for it (a lot!), so we will provide a way to customize your last name in Second Life! More details will be available later this year.

Edited by Cindy Evanier
  • Like 3

2 minutes ago, Cindy Evanier said:

The return of Last Names - You’ve asked for it (a lot!), so we will provide a way to customize your last name in Second Life! More details will be available later this year.

You'll be able to choose between "Resident", "Citizen", "Tenant", ...     ;)

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

6 minutes ago, Cindy Evanier said:

I don’t think I’d choose Zhaoying again, it confuses people.

So, wait to create an alt until Last Names are back!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, Love Zhaoying said:

Idea/Suggestion: Allow users to move their own posts (or empower some of us) when they are in the wrong forum.

I would be dead against that (bolded) idea, if it means what I think it means. I think it means 'empower some of us to move posts.

It's astomishing how people can show another side of themselves when they are given a little bit of authority, which allowing a few users to move other people's posts would be. I could write a very good example of it happening in SL, but I won't bore anyone with it. I just think that the bolded suggestion is a bad one.

Back in the day, Strife was good as a moderator (resmod - resident moderator) in this forum. He was entirely the opposite of power-hungry. He was so good, in fact, that I didn't become aware of him until ages after I started using the forum.

• Thanks 3

2 hours ago, Phil Deakins said:

I would be dead against that (bolded) idea, if it means what I think it means. I think it means 'empower some of us to move posts.

It's astomishing how people can show another side of themselves when they are given a little bit of authority, which allowing a few users to move other people's posts would be. I could write a very good example of it happening in SL, but I won't bore anyone with it. I just think that the bolded suggestion is a bad one.

Back in the day, Strife was good as a moderator (resmod - resident moderator) in this forum. He was entirely the opposite of power-hungry. He was so good, in fact, that I didn't become aware of him until ages after I started using the forum.

Phil, but an option to move your OWN thread/post is ok, right?

15 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

How about an option to lock your own thread?

That's about as bad as empowering some forumites to move posts. I can guarantee you it would happen quite often for an OP to get an edge in word wise if the thread isn't going their way and then promptly lock said thread before anyone can respond to their last post. People would definitely abuse such a feature in a "I'm right, you're wrong and there's nothing you can do or say because I'm locking this thread. Booya!" way. Sad but true.

Or someone would ask a question, get an answer that may or may not be right and they lock their thread thinking it's done and over with when correct information could have been posted or an elaboration on their questions by other forumites. Even if the OP is gone by the time the latter happens, it would help those having the same question and using the search function.

Just...don't give people any powers, they'll all turn into super villains and burn the forums to the ground. :ph34r:

• Confused 1

14 minutes ago, Syn Anatine said:

That's about as bad as empowering some forumites to move posts. I can guarantee you it would happen quite often for an OP to get an edge in word wise if the thread isn't going their way and then promptly lock said thread before anyone can respond to their last post. People would definitely abuse such a feature in a "I'm right, you're wrong and there's nothing you can do or say because I'm locking this thread. Booya!" way. Sad but true.

Or someone would ask a question, get an answer that may or may not be right and they lock their thread thinking it's done and over with when correct information could have been posted or an elaboration on their questions by other forumites. Even if the OP is gone by the time the latter happens, it would help those having the same question and using the search function.

Just...don't give people any powers, they'll all turn into super villains and burn the forums to the ground. :ph34r:

Yes..but what about in “Answers”, an option to “mark thread as Answered”, allowing no more posts after that? (Or after some time period if OP marks post as “Answered”?). You could still quote old threads in new posts.

2 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

Yes..but what about in “Answers”, an option to “mark thread as Answered”, allowing no more posts after that? (Or after some time period if OP marks post as “Answered”?). You could still quote old threads in new posts.

On the old forum in the answers section you could select a post that you deemed to have officially answered your question. This however did not close the topic.
I just checked a question I posted recently and it seems they have done away with that feature now and replaced it with the upvote/downvote thing. So I don't think they'll bring that feature back since they've replaced it?

Either way, I personally don't think that there's a reason to close threads unless they've devolved into a flame war. Why do you think such a feature is needed? I'm curious!

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

13 minutes ago, Syn Anatine said:

On the old forum in the answers section you could select a post that you deemed to have officially answered your question. This however did not close the topic.
I just checked a question I posted recently and it seems they have done away with that feature now and replaced it with the upvote/downvote thing. So I don't think they'll bring that feature back since they've replaced it?

Either way, I personally don't think that there's a reason to close threads unless they've devolved into a flame war. Why do you think such a feature is needed? I'm curious!

Well, if someone details your thread (which I am quite guilty of), I’ve seen threads get locked for that reason if it was extreme enough (and not just flame wars). Why not let the OP choose when it’s gone far enough, or at least give them an easy way to request a moderator to do it?

If only moderators can lock a derailed thread, that doesn’t seem exactly “fair”.

4 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

Well, if someone details your thread (which I am quite guilty of), I’ve seen threads get locked for that reason if it was extreme enough (and not just flame wars). Why not let the OP choose when it’s gone far enough, or at least give them an easy way to request a moderator to do it?

If only moderators can lock a derailed thread, that doesn’t seem exactly “fair”.

I already gave you what I believe is ample reason why letting an OP choose 'when its gone far enough' isn't wise.

Forums are there to promote healthy discussions but most often people get huffy and would wrangle any discussion when it doesn't go their way. They'd only allow free speech within their thread as long as they approve, if they no longer do that, they'd lock the thread. I don't think that's productive for an official and open forum. Maybe for a private one it would work but not for this one.

Edited by Syn Anatine
typos, I have them
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

13 minutes ago, Syn Anatine said:

I already gave you what I believe is ample reason why letting an OP choose 'when its gone far enough' isn't wise.

Forums are there to promote healthy discussions but most often people get huffy and would wrangle any discussion when it doesn't go their way. They'd only allow free speech within their thread as long as they approve, if they no longer do that, they'd lock the thread. I don't think that's productive for an official and open forum. Maybe for a private one it would work but not for this one.

You didn’t even acknowledge this: “At least give them an easy way to request a moderator to do it?”

The OP should definitely not be able to lock their own thread.  As Syn mentioned, OPs that get butt-hurt would be locking their own threads just to stop conversation that they do not want to see.

Also, flagging something as the correct answer should never lock the thread in Answers.  Primarily for the same reason as just stated, but also because too often the OP is clueless and may flag an answer as correct that really is not.  Others need the ability to correct info about wrongly flagged 'correct answers'.

Typically if a thread goes too far off the rails, a Mod will come tell us to keep it on topic.  If things get too much out of control, a Mod might lock it.  Seldom are threads locked for minor derails and sometimes not even for big derails if nobody is being obnoxious towards others.

Everyone already has the ability to request a Mod to move or lock a thread -- via the Report Post mechanism.

Final note - seldom ever are Resident Moderators a good idea because most of them truly cannot be totally unbiased in the forums.

Edited by LittleMe Jewell
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

You didn’t even acknowledge this: “At least give them an easy way to request a moderator to do it?”

Because there already is an easy way. Click the report button, input why you think the thread should be locked and let the moderator decide whether the thread warrants a lock or not.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Love Zhaoying said:

Phil, but an option to move your OWN thread/post is ok, right?

Yes. It was just the idea of users being able to move other people's posts that I'm dead against.

There's something to remember here, though. This forum software isn't of LL's creating, so, if the suggestions that are mentioned don't already exist in the software, they can't be implemented.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Phil Deakins said:

Yes. It was just the idea of users being able to move other people's posts that I'm dead against.

There's something to remember here, though. This forum software isn't of LL's creating, so, if the suggestions that are mentioned don't already exist in the software, they can't be implemented.

Yes, I know.

Funny how some are rabid about beating down certain ideas. No offense, you’re plenty polite. (Someone else.)

2 hours ago, Syn Anatine said:

Because there already is an easy way. Click the report button, input why you think the thread should be locked and let the moderator decide whether the thread warrants a lock or not.

I was thinking about that, but then you’re AR’ing an individual post - which the moderator may hold against the poster. I’ve been AR’d enough, thank you.

2 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

I was thinking about that, but then you’re AR’ing an individual post - which the moderator may hold against the poster. I’ve been AR’d enough, thank you.

In this case you asked for an easy way for an OP to get their thread locked, if said OP AR'ed their own first post and asked for a lock of the thread for whichever reason (let's say it's a logical and good one) I don't think the forum mod would hold it against that person? Would be pretty bad if they did o.o;

1 minute ago, Syn Anatine said:

In this case you asked for an easy way for an OP to get their thread locked, if said OP AR'ed their own first post and asked for a lock of the thread for whichever reason (let's say it's a logical and good one) I don't think the forum mod would hold it against that person? Would be pretty bad if they did o.o;

Sounds legit.

59400D38-A31F-4C36-AF1D-C448802A220E.jpeg

19 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

Funny how some are rabid about beating down certain ideas.

Hmm, maybe a tad overly sensitive today or something?  I saw nothing in the responses that appeared to be "rabid beating down" of the suggestion.  Rather I simply read everything as being reasons why different people didn't think it would be a good idea.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

Hmm, maybe a tad overly sensitive today or something?  I saw nothing in the responses that appeared to be "rabid beating down" of the suggestion.  Rather I simply read everything as being reasons why different people didn't think it would be a good idea.

*sigh* Disagreeing with each suggestion vociferously and apparently needing to get the last word. Better?

14 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

*sigh* Disagreeing with each suggestion vociferously and apparently needing to get the last word. Better?

I'm sorry I have a different opinion than your own and thought I could contribute by giving reasons as to how/why they wouldn't quite work as intended if implemented? Gosh I am such a rabid animal aren't I?

Don't worry, I'll not ever bother you again.

• Sad 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2210 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.