Land Tier Premium Accounts

Kincraig75

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2056 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hi all, I apologise in advance if this question has already been asked, and answered.

I am considering starting a SL business, but worried about land use fees - just trying to keep the costs/expenses as low as possible.

I have a premium account - LL recently added 1024m2 land allowance for premium accounts, without implications for the tier level. I have a free Linden home, which consumes 512m2 of my tier free allowance. My question is - if I choose to give up my Linden home and abandon the land it is sitting on, do I have 1024m2 tier free land allowance for business use, or is 512m2 always reserved for the free Linden home, regardless if you opt to have one or not.

Cheers!

• You get 1024 free of land-use fees.
  • Your LL Home is using half of that.
  • LL Home is entirely optional and always has been.
  • Abandon LL Home and you free the 512m2 it was using, returning your allotment back to the full 1024.
  • Buy new land on mainland or LL Home (your choice) - up to 1024m2. At 1025m2 you will be bumped up to the next tier (2048, which is $7 U.S. per month).

TL;DR: LL Home is optional; abandon it then go buy a full 1024 on the mainland. :)

Edited by Alyona Su
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I have a similar question about this.

I too have a Premium Account as well as a Linden Home.

I decided to take advantage of the new mainland tier allotment and lower land prices.  While choosing to KEEP my Linden Home for now, I went around looking for lots on the various mainland Continents and found one that is 1152m2 and was a nice affordable price within my budget... so I bought it!

Anway, I presumed that 512m2 of that would come from my remaining tier allotment, and along with my linden home using my full 1024...

Leaving 640m2 from the new lot that I would be paying for... giving me a combined total of 1664m2

Based on the new information provided here:

I also presumed that if a lot the size of 1536m2 would cost $4....

Then owning 1665m2 of land shouldn't cost much more, maybe $5?

Instead it is showing that its costing me $7??

I'm a little confused over this as that's the cost of owning 2048m2 so am I being overcharged?

Edited by Jolene Merlin

5 minutes ago, Jolene Merlin said:

:I also presumed that if a lot the size of 1536m2 would cost $4....

First, make sure a group owns it, not a person, then you get 10% extra.

There is no "shouldn't cost much more" it's set rates.

585f8d2400a9933de7492498a7657987.png.d2f68228315ded7319e50f947acf001d.png

512 free + 10% = 562

1665 - 562 = 1103

You need to put in 1024 + 10% = 1126 to cover than

1024 level = $7.00 a month

If the tier is taken up by your Linden Home, it's occupied and you can't count it as available for anything else.

The tier goes up like a ladder in steps: 512, 1024, 2048. So it doesn't have partial increments. It will go up $4, $7, etc.

You can see the list here:

https://secondlife.com/my/account/landfees.php?lang=en-US

The tier level for another $512 is $4, then the next step up is 1024 and indeed $7, and the next jump up after that is $13 for 2048, etc.. It doesn't give you partial amounts in between the steps, it only rounds up to the next level.

Edited by Prokofy Neva

21 minutes ago, Jolene Merlin said:

Instead it is showing that its costing me $7??

I'm a little confused over this as that's the cost of owning 2048m2 so am I being overcharged?

512 (Linden home) plus 1152 (new purchase) = 1664 minus 1024 (premium benefit) = 640.  640 is more than the 512 level, so you pay for the 1024 level, which is $7.

The way you read the chart is:  Anything UP TO the noted level is charged at that amount.  The minute you are one sqm over a given level, you are bumped to the next level.

Edited by LittleMe Jewell

2 hours ago, Jolene Merlin said:

Tier is tricky, but this particular reasoning is misleading. A 1536 costs $4 plus the Premium membership fee. Sure, you also get other goodies with that fee, but you can't just ignore the whole Premium subscription deal which accounts for 1024 of that 1536. You're really paying $4 for the 512 over and above that "bonus" 1024. And then it's not so strange that the next step up is $7, etc.

Now some practical arithmetic here, riffing on Callum's group-ownership suggestion: The parcel you bought is 1152. You're spending 512 on a Linden Home (which can't be group-owned), so you still have 512 of your free Premium tier, which can be donated to a group. If you pay $4 for an additional 512 tier and donate it to the same group, that group can own a parcel sized 1120 sq.m. -- which is painfully close to that 1152 you bought. Maybe that parcel has 32 sq.m. that could be carved off to better fit the tier structure and save you US$3/mo?

Tier is actually very simple. The issue is that people are reading too much into it and making a mountain out of a molehill.

There are only TWO things you need to pay attention to regarding land-use fees and which tier applies. And for now: ignore any mention of deeding land to groups and any bonuses, they are useless until you start owning 1/8 sim or more.

RULE ONE: You pay land use fees at the tier of the most land you have owned at any single time, even if only for 1 second.

This means: If I own 512m2 and see a parcel I want to buy that 520m2 and I buy it, then as soon as I buy it I get rid of the extra 8m2 (bringing me back to 1024m2) - I will have to pay the 2048 ($7) tier 3 - because I owned more than 1024m2 at a single time, if for only a few minutes.

RULE TWO: Tier is always rounded UP.

585f8d2400a9933de7492498a7657987.png.d2f

This means each tier is a "POOL" of virtual space. If I own  1024 m2 then I am in tier 2 and pay $7/month. If I own 1025m2 - that one last square meter is in tier 3 - which is a pool and rounded up, so now I owe tier 3 at $13/month. One single square meter into the next higher tier means you must pay that tier.

So a premium account holder who has an LL home (512m2) still has 512m2 of free land. If you buy a plot that is 513m2: you will be bumped to tier 2 (because the first 1024 is free, but ONE m2 is in the next tier level) and so the $7/month fee.

TL;DR: The only TWO things to remember are:
1. Each tier of land use fees is a POOL. If you own even ONE square meter in that tier, you pay that tier rate (it is rounded-up).
2. Even if you are bumped to a higher tier for one second then put yourself back to the lower tier: you must pay the higher tier for this time period.

Edited by Alyona Su

21 minutes ago, Alyona Su said:

And for now: ignore any mention of deeding land to groups and any bonuses, they are useless until you start owning 1/8 sim or more.

It's fine to not explain everything at the same time, but group land bonuses are useful at any level. Sure, it's only 10%, but 560 is better than 512, and 1120 is better than 1024. Indeed, it's at the lower tiers where a 10% increment in Land Impact can be most prized.

Thanks for the responses from everyone!

I certainly misunderstood how the Tier system works, considering this was my first time buying land...

I feel I got lucky with this particular lot, being that its 1152 but it was priced at a bargain, around 1000L$ less then most 1024 lots in the same general area, though truth is I really only wanted a 1024 sized lot but chose to grab this bargain instead.

SO, say if I were to change the borders, split the Lot...

Its at 1152 now.

So I split it into two lots; one at 128, and the other at 1024... and I manage to sell off the 128 (chances of that being slim right? lol) or get rid of it somehow, and just keep the 1024... leaving me with a total of 1536m2 in total owned land.

Based on the new Tier Structure detailed in the following Linden Announcement below... This should in theory put me at $4 instead of $7, correct? :

7 minutes ago, Jolene Merlin said:

SO, say if I were to change the borders, split the Lot...

Its at 1152 now.

So I split it into two lots; one at 128, and the other at 1024... and I manage to sell off the 128 (chances of that being slim right? lol) or get rid of it somehow, and just keep the 1024... leaving me with a total of 1536m2 in total owned land.

Based on the new Tier Structure detailed in the following Linden Announcement below... This should in theory put me at $4 instead of $7, correct? :

Correct - $4, but not until the next billing cycle even if you got rid of 128 sqm today.

• 4 months later...

could i buy a 512 ? and keep the linden home ? as then my total would be 1024 ? (makes sense to me that t would be allowed 

but all i read seems to suggest i need to chose , either have a linden home or have a 1024 plot .. 

41 minutes ago, Yes Voom said:

could i buy a 512 ? and keep the linden home ? as then my total would be 1024 ? (makes sense to me that t would be allowed 

but all i read seems to suggest i need to chose , either have a linden home or have a 1024 plot .. 

yes, exactley that - na - most just want a full 1024 plot but if you spread the 1024 to two 512s (one being the Linden home) you will be fine. You could even keep the Linden house and then get a 460m² plot and 5 other 10 m² plots spread around the grid (but who would want that, LOL)

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Yes Voom said:

any tips ?(thought abandoned meant will not b used again)

Abandoned means that a parcel has been returned to LL ownership.  LL will put abandoned parcels back on the market for sale to residents at some future time

29 minutes ago, Fionalein said:

Ah OK, that is why we see those silly 4*4 pillars along the old routes....

yes, and also, (now a lot less) the 4x4 cut outs in larger pacels with exhorbitant high prices to force a new owner to spend a lot to get a complete parcel without holes.

On 3/22/2018 at 2:41 PM, Jolene Merlin said:

@LittleMe Jewell

Thank you!

Yeah I didn't expect a little 128m2 to sell immediately, I could be stuck with it for awhile...

Worst case scenario, I might end up buying the 896m2 lot next door... cause, if I'm gonna be paying for 2048, then I may as well actually own 2048!  LOL

no reason to sell it, just abandon it then after the next tier date you'll be back at the tier level you want. An abandoned piece of land beside yours (which probably no one will ever put in a claim for) is far better than someone buying it that really has an interest in acquiring  the rest of your parcel.

If you do try and sell it be sure to abandon it before the tier date or you'll be paying the higher tier for another month.

1 hour ago, Alwin Alcott said:

yes, and also, (now a lot less) the 4x4 cut outs in larger pacels with exhorbitant high prices to force a new owner to spend a lot to get a complete parcel without holes.

Why would anyone buy a parcel with holes cut out in the middle of it?

3 hours ago, Fionalein said:

Abandodned land is a gamble, you never know if someone wll ever move in and when they do wether they have good landscaping taste...

the trick is to make your build so ugly that no one will ever want to move in beside you

• Haha 4

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2056 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.