Need Help - 17x5 Grid Perfect Center?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2318 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

So, i seem to be completely stumped I need to find the 100% exact center prim scale perimeters for a texture that has the grid size of 17 Horizontal Length and 5 Vertical Length.

Is there an easy way to figure this out? Maybe via script or a website that does the math or something?

Thanks in advance.

P.S When i mean exact, like it cant be close it has to be perfect for what i'm doing. I got it close but i cant get it exact is my issue.

wsw3E6p.jpg

2 hours ago, Zeaig Zabelin said:

So, i seem to be completely stumped I need to find the 100% exact center prim scale perimeters for a texture that has the grid size of 17 Horizontal Length and 5 Vertical Length.

Is there an easy way to figure this out? Maybe via script or a website that does the math or something?

Thanks in advance.

P.S When i mean exact, like it cant be close it has to be perfect for what i'm doing. I got it close but i cant get it exact is my issue.

wsw3E6p.jpg

If you are working on a prim you can adjust it VERY exactly (five decimal places) within the build menu. If it is mesh (I am guessing not) you can adjust within your 3D program. 

You need to give more info and some screenshots maybe?

Oh, wait ...   Are you asking how to find the center of the prim face that this texture is on?  There are loads of ways to do that.  For one, try just putting the texture in the face and adjusting its scale temporarily so that the X and X scale factors are each set at 2.0.  You'll have four copies of the image displayed on the face, meeting at its exact center.  Mark that spot.

• Like 1

On 3/20/2018 at 1:40 PM, Zeaig Zabelin said:

a website that does the math

the math is simple, if you want the centre, you divide by 2

that is... 17 ÷ 2 = 8.5  and  ÷ 2 = 2.5

Expanding this to any size... The ratio width to height is 3.4:1

If the prim is 0.45 metres tall, then it's 0.45 x 3.4 = 1.53 metres wide - and the centre point of that....

1.53 ÷ 2 = 0.765  and  0.45  ÷ 2 = 0.225

If the prim is 1.56 meters tall, then.... 1.56 x 3.4 = 5.304 metres wide.... the centre is 5.304 ÷ 2 = 2.652 and 1.56  ÷ 2 = 0.78

But, if want it as a vector with modulus 1 - like texture offset?

8.5 ÷ 17 = 0.5   and   2.5 ÷ 5 = 0.5

Vector is <0.5, 0.5, 0>

And... lastly... if it's an odd size prim... say 14.6 metres wide and 3.4 metres tall.... work out the minimum using your 17x5 ...

14.6 ÷ 17 = 0.8588    and     3.4 ÷ 5 = 0.68 

0.68.... so, it's shorter then wider....

make the height 100% and make the width... 0.68 * 17 = 11.56 metres for the grid width with blank on each side. To get the blank... take 14.6 and subtract 11.56 giving 3.04 blank space at the sides.... divide by 2.... 1.52 padding on each side

Of course, the centre will be at 14.6 ÷  2.... but the image will be 11.56 metres wide, 3.4 metres tall and there will be a blank padding of 1.52 metres each side.

Edited by Callum Meriman
colourising it to make the numbers clearer

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2318 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.